Indy should have had a daughter

Foxy Oxley

Uki said:
Remember the insistant rumor that Indy 4 would have Natalie Portman as his daughter? While I loved Skull, that would've been interesting.

Working in 3 dreadful Lucas movies was probably enough for her. ;)

The Man

Perhaps Indy's parentage stretches beyond Mutt. Would it not be ridiculous yet perfect that he had fathered a daughter by Willie? A half-brother and sister double-act would have potential if they cast a lady compatible with LaBeouf and Tom Stoppard steps in to polish the dialogue.

The Man

Uki said:
Remember the insistant rumor that Indy 4 would have Natalie Portman as his daughter? While I loved Skull, that would've been interesting.

She does look rather hot with a hat...

natalie-portman-elle-april-2008_hat.jpg

Stoo

Lady in Red said:
Didn't he have a daughter in YIJC, or am I misremembering?
Misremembering? You've been an Indy fan for only "a few months"!;) :whip:

Anyway, here ya go, Lady in Red:
Indy's Daughter in TV Series

This idea of Indy having an adventurous daughter is a terrible one.
The last thing the world needs is another Lara Croft/Relic Hunter!:sick: (n)

MolaRam2

I really like the idea of Indy having a daughter. Let's face it, a hot girl kicking ass would be way cooler than Mutt. Natalie Portman would be a great choice for the role.

indytim

I always thought it would be more interesting if Indy had a daughter instead of a son but then I guess if she took after her father she would come across as being too much like Lara Croft. Natalie Portman would have been a good choice although I remember when the rumours first surfaced I immediately thought of Jennifer Connelly.

Anyway, in 'honour' of the Jones' girl that never was I have created this wallpaper (1024x768 ... click the thumbnail to see full size image) using an old Adam Hughes sketch. Enjoy (y)

nezobiwan

Raiders112390 said:
She wouldn't have the "Can Only Set Me in the '50s" greaser style and would have a more adaptible style.
Are you telling me that people who used to be 'greasers' in the 1950s ceased to exist, never adapted, never grew up?!?!

Greasers were real people, they're not made-up. I don't see why Mutt's character is only able to exist in the 1950s. Real people grow up and adapt. So has Indy so can Mutt.

Daughter would have been cool too, but I'm happy with Mutt. The junior idea is just too perfect. And the not finishing school makes more of a crisis for a guy in the 1950s than a girl in the 50s. Little missy Indy could just be married off like the rest of the oppressed women of the time--her not finishing school wouldn't be as big a deal I think.

Goodsport

indytim said:
I always thought it would be more interesting if Indy had a daughter instead of a son but then I guess if she took after her father she would come across as being too much like Lara Croft. Natalie Portman would have been a good choice although I remember when the rumours first surfaced I immediately thought of Jennifer Connelly.

Anyway, in 'honour' of the Jones' girl that never was I have created this wallpaper (1024x768 ... click the thumbnail to see full size image) using an old Adam Hughes sketch. Enjoy (y)

Not that I'm complaining, mind you ;) , but do you really think Indy would want his own daughter dressed like that?

After all, it was okay with Indy if some kid named Mutt Williams became a motorcycle mechanic all of his life instead of attending college, but no way will he allow Henry Jones, III to do the same. :D

-G

Raiders90

nezobiwan said:
Are you telling me that people who used to be 'greasers' in the 1950s ceased to exist, never adapted, never grew up?!?!

Greasers were real people, they're not made-up. I don't see why Mutt's character is only able to exist in the 1950s. Real people grow up and adapt. So has Indy so can Mutt.

Daughter would have been cool too, but I'm happy with Mutt. The junior idea is just too perfect. And the not finishing school makes more of a crisis for a guy in the 1950s than a girl in the 50s. Little missy Indy could just be married off like the rest of the oppressed women of the time--her not finishing school wouldn't be as big a deal I think.

Well, here's the thing. It'd be kind of dumb to change Mutt from being a greaser to something else. If you're going to create an iconic character, you have to keep his outfit and his identity the same. For example, Indy. While the times may have changed, Indy still basically wears the same thing he wore in 1936, even though it's more than 20 years later. And that's fine because in both periods it fits. In the '30s, every young man wore a fedora and adventurers wore leather jackets; In the '50s, Indy is an older man and older men in the 50s and 60s wore fedoras.
However, by the mid 60s, Greasers were an anachronism. Mutt would look out of place in the glamourous early '60s or in the hippie later 60s dressed as a greaser, and to change his look would change the core of the character. That doesn't work if you're attempting to create an iconic character worthy of his own series. Superman's outfit, for example, has never changed. Neither Indy's, whether it's 1936 or 1956.

MolaRam2

Natalie Portman would also come aross as alot tougher than Shia also. I really can't see Shia being a great adventurer.

nezobiwan

Raiders112390 said:
Well, here's the thing. It'd be kind of dumb to change Mutt from being a greaser to something else. [...]That doesn't work if you're attempting to create an iconic character worthy of his own series. Superman's outfit, for example, has never changed. Neither Indy's, whether it's 1936 or 1956.
Noted. Well argued. But if I'm not mistaken, greasers were around up into the mid sixties. Do we really expect the franchise to follow into the 1970s? (((shudder)))

Maybe it isn't the character, but the changing era that is the real problem. Some say Indiana Jones already is out of place in the 1950s with his iconic 1930s image. A lot of other people would argue that Superman is also ill-suited to the new millenium.

The groove for Mutt's style all depends on the next Indy movie, *if there even is one.*

Michael24

If there was ever a possibility of Natalie Portman playing Indy's daughter, then I'm glad we got Indy's son instead.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Misremembering? You've been an Indy fan for only "a few months"!;) :whip:

Anyway, here ya go, Lady in Red:
Indy's Daughter in TV Series

This idea of Indy having an adventurous daughter is a terrible one.
The last thing the world needs is another Lara Croft/Relic Hunter!:sick: (n)

According to The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, Frank Darabont's "City of the Gods" script gave Indy and Marion a daughter, but Spielberg rejected it because he found it too similar to The Lost World.

MolaRam2

Adamwankenobi said:
According to The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, Frank Darabont's "City of the Gods" script gave Indy and Marion a daughter, but Spielberg rejected it because he found it too similar to The Lost World.

I thought Spielberg loved Darabont's script, but Lucas didn't like it. Nobody remembers The Lost World anyway, it's only Spielberg's most boring movie.

The Man

They need to throw something of a curveball if casting Indy's daughter. Katee Sackhoff is only perfect. Think about it...

2006-10-06-starbuck.jpg

deckard24

I honestly don't think they'd have gone with a daughter, because if they are planning on future sequels with a new replacement(or should I say a younger sidekick), a daughter wouldn't be the same box office draw as a son! I'm not trying to be sexist, just honest, because bad ass female roles rarely draw in the crowds that males do. Just look at the success of the Lara Croft films, or Elektra, Catwoman, Aeon flux, Resident Evil,and Ultraviolet. Of course there are exceptions, but they tend to be either cult favorites like Kill Bill where people turned out because it was Tarantino's 4th film, or mainstream sci-fi horror where the draw wasn't the female lead but the creature ie. Alien!

As much as a daughter might have been interesting to see, the future of the franchise seems to be hinged on Indy and Marion's child, and Shia was an extremely smart casting choice for this! He already has a huge following, and is on his way to being one of the Hollywood's most bankable movie stars.