Uncharted: The Games

Michael24

The ads look great, and it's probably a game that'd be right up my alley.

Unfortunately, I refuse to spend $500 for a PS3, so I'll probably never be able to play it. :(

kongisking

Michael24 said:

Unfortunately, I refuse to spend $500 for a PS3, so I'll probably never be able to play it. :(

I share your sadness...:( :( :( That game looks like it would've made for an awesome Indy 5!

Michael24

I was hoping it would be released for the Xbox 360 as well (since we do have that), but then I was told the game was actually made by Sony itself, so that's why it's only available on the PS3. :(

The graphics and gameplay look amazing, though.

monkey

Michael24 said:

Yes, I agree. It looks like a fantastic video game, with everything that appeals to me......adventure, great story line..etc. But I'm with you Michael, I just don't have the $$$ to drop on the PS3.

But I don't think we can NEVER play it....we'll just have to wait for the prices to come down.

Major West

I've just finished playing this game and I have to say it was very good. If it had been called Indiana Jones and set in that world it might just have been the best game ever invented. Anyway, highly recommended to anybody that enjoys the adventure kind of game. I hope there's a sequel.

adventure_al

Excellent game. Which has been covered on many a thread on this board.

Can't wait for the sequel though.

any ideas on what the story line is for it yet? or where it is set?

The Drifter

adventure_al said:
Excellent game. Which has been covered on many a thread on this board.

Can't wait for the sequel though.

any ideas on what the story line is for it yet? or where it is set?

I don't think that there has been any info on that. Only that Naughty Dog confirmed that there would be a sequel.

adventure_al

I wish the OP would come back.

another newbie bites the dust!? ive not noticed 'nathan drake' on the board much.

COME BACK ON and be active! you've took an awesome nickname for this forum you deserve to do it some justice ;)

Trennas

Uncharted

Yet another game topic by yours truly! What can I say? Games are a big passion of mine ;)

Sooo, a few months ago, my girlfriend and I decided to sell the Wii because, well, there were like only two or three fun games for it, and frankly, we were really disappointed with it. After selling, we got a PS3, and that has proven to be a smart choice; so far that black piece of machinery has been nothing but fun, fun, fun!

One of the games we bought with the PS3 was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I had had my eye on it since long before we even got the PS3, because, well, action adventures are really my kind of games. I absolutely LOVE this game; despite a few minor bugs here and there and the annoying jetski parts, it was everything I hoped it would be: smart, gorgeous looking, witty, exiting, atmospheric, with a great story and memorable characters. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was that the shootouts were far more prominent than the far too easy puzzle solving, but because the tension itself was so balanced, it wasn't hard to overcome :)

The game centers around treasure hunter Nathan Drake, a descendant from Sir Francis Drake, who, after finding his great great great grand father's empty coffin, starts off to look for a lost Spanish colony where Sir Francis supposedly found the legendary El Dorado, which is not a city of gold, but a giant golden statue that bears a terrible curse. In his adventures he is joined by Elena Fisher, a feisty journalist, and Sully, a not particulary trustworthy comrade treasure hunter. Of course, they are not the only ones after the legendary loot; some of Sully's not so pleasant relations are trying to cut them off at every pass, or shoot them off, to be more accurate.

The thing I enjoyed the most was that the game was very much inspired by Indiana Jones. There were several moments in Drake's Fortune that could have come straight out of an Indy movie. Nathan Drake, the protagonist, albeit being somewhat more selfish and greedy than Indy, certainly has his Indy-moments, especially when things are not going according to plan. He is not a terribly brave guy though, which works in favor for the believability of the character. When he is confronted with a granate at his feet, he will actually begin to panic, and trust me, when you're being pinned down by a dozen mercenaries, so will you. Many times you have to take great risks just to stay alive, but they're all worth it. And if you do happen to die, well, the game has a very decent save system. There are only a few points (like in the chapter Trapped) where you really have to go through the whole ordeal again when you die, but other than that, the game picks up again not too far before you died.

Anyways, anyone who has got a PS3 or is planning to get one, be sure to play/pick up a copy of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. You won't regret it one bit!

Trennas

Oh, and before I forget: the sequel was announced last week! Apparently, Drake goes after the explorer Marco Polo this time :D Watch the teaser trailer below!

Finn

Staff member
Trennas said:
Yet another game topic by yours truly! What can I say? Games are a big passion of mine ;)
And meanwhile, Sam Earch cries in his loneliness... visit him, you shmuck.

Thread merged with earlier one.

muttjones

Finn said:
And meanwhile, Sam Earch cries in his loneliness... visit him, you shmuck.

Thread merged with earlier one.

can't wait for this. i loved the first one (first game of mine for ps3) and the sequel should be awesome too.

Though i heard they added stealth to the sequel and i can only say one thing for stealth..........EEEEWWWWWWWW:sick:

Trennas

Great, another game topic failure on my behalf! Didn't use search, sorry about that! If I ever open another game topic I'll behave (y)

If that's true, it would depend greatly on how they use the stealth as a gameplay mechanism. If it's one of those "start over if you get caught" stealth things, it would be horrible.. If it's more like the stealth used in Thief, where you can pick alternative routes and ambush your enemies (which would actually be a nice alternative to the endless number of shootouts), I think it could work really well :)

I'm not too worried though. Naughty Dog delivered a great first game, which leads me to believe that unlike some game developers, they actually do know what they are doing. Have faith, it's probably not half as bad as you think :)

p.s. who is Jebus' name is Sam Earch? :confused:

Trennas

By the way, if you want more info on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, be sure to pick up the January Issue of Gameinformer! Apparently they have a 10 page article of world exclusive details:

Nathan Drake returns with a whole new adventure which revolves around the 13th century explorer Marco Polo and his voyages. The new PlayStation 3 title will add a free climbing mechanic and action/adventure gameplay. Players can also expect all-new locations, characters and a focus on the game?s story.

And man, o man, just looking at the magazine's cover makes me want to play it already:

gami_189_cov_web.jpg

Is that.. a train? In the air? :confused:

Ska

lol...Finn was referring to the "Search" feature when he mentioned Sam Earch. Mr. S. Earch

And I'm looking forward to seeing more of Uncharted 2. I just recently restarted Drake's Fortune to get the PS Trophies. I was about halfway through the game for my first time when I restarted. It's a good enough game to play again, so I didn't mind.

And I agree with you about using stealth to "skip" some of the shootouts. I don't see the need to have to kill every single person before moving on to the next area.

Trennas

Ska said:
lol...Finn was referring to the "Search" feature when he mentioned Sam Earch. Mr. S. Earch

*headdesk* :rolleyes:

Oh the memories of stealth.. I remember in Jedi Knight: Outcast there was a mandatory stealth level where you had to turn off the lights and sneak your way past armed guards. The problem was that Outcast had the engine of a first person shooter, and thus stealth was more or less impossible, so I ended up dying time after time. Really hated that level with a passion! :mad:

But I would definitly find it cool if you could sneak up on your enemies in Uncharted 2 and drag them away in the shadows while their comerades are smoking a cigg ten feet away. Or something like that anyway. It would alter the gameplay of the first game a little bit, but for the better I think :)

Anyways, I dug up a quote from the things that will be featured in the January Gameinformer Issue:

According to the latest issue of Game Informer, Naughty Dog has stated that they hope to utilize nearly 100 percent of the PlayStation 3?s power for adventure sequel, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, where as its predecessor used only 30-40 percent.

For those of you without a Game Informer subscription, we have some of the highlights of the cover story listed below.

- Uncharted 2: Among Theives will feature a new girl named Chloe Frazer. When Game Informer asked about Elena and Sully's return but Naughty Dog had no comment.
- Naughty Dog states they were using only 30% of the PS3's power with Drake's Fortune and are planning to use nearly 100% with Among Thieves.
- The story is about looking for the ships that Marco Polo "lost" while returning home to Italy.
- Melee combat is more dynamic now.
- Stealth will be a new gameplay mechanic
- Nolan North will be back to reprise his role as Nathan Drake, while Chloe Frazer will be portrayed by Claudia Black (Stargate SG-1, Fargate).
- The Sixaxis mechanics were ditched for such things as throwing grenades.
- There are no load screens.
- The score is being composed by Greg Edmonson.
- Weapons can be used in any stance (running, behind cover, hanging, climbing a wall, etc.).
- You can now move while aiming behind cover

UIMJ

Ska said:
And I'm looking forward to seeing more of Uncharted 2. I just recently restarted Drake's Fortune to get the PS Trophies.

I've got 100% of the trophies for this game. When you go for the hardest difficulty playthrough, all I can say is just take it one area (not level but area) at a time and know that each area you clear out is one step closer towards the end.

Some of the gunfights on that difficulty are ridiculously hard.