Uncharted: The Games

The Drifter

After searching around the web for you, I have found some tips that you can try.

-Turn down the Super White feature.
-Try to restore the PS3 to it's default settings. Reboot it, and go straight to the game and see if the problem is still there.
-try turning down the sharpness on your TV.

Hope these help.

DocWhiskey

"If Adventure has a Name it Must be...Nathan Drake!"

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY 1UP.COM!

That poster looks great though.

The Drifter

I also was talking to some of my gamer friends online and they said it sounded like your refresh rate on your TV may be too low and causing it to "ghost". They said, if you keep Nathan Drake still and pan the camera around, does it still do that?
Also, I just shown them the picture you provided.

fixer79

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I also was talking to some of my gamer friends online and they said it sounded like your refresh rate on your TV may be too low and causing it to "ghost". They said, if you keep Nathan Drake still and pan the camera around, does it still do that?
Also, I just shown them the picture you provided.

Yep, it also happens when Drake's standing still and the camera pans around...

The refresh rate you say... I have a Motion plus 120Hz screen so I'm not sure that's the problem... Could be though... I know that some games can be set on 50 or 60 Hz, but I don't think Uncharted offers the option to change between the two...

Anyway, as soon as I get home, I'm gonna try the tips you've given me earlier...

Thanks again for the help! :hat:

fixer79

Trennas said:
I hope you fix it! This game deserves to be played properly!

Cheers, dude! ;)

Here are a few more pictures of Drake and his aura...

2009_017057_cropped.jpg

The aura's less obvious here though. It was much clearer on the previous pic I posted.

I showed that previous pic at work to a few graphics programmers who own a PS3 and have played 'Uncharted' but they'd never seen something like that and they had no idea what to do about it...
So sadly, that hasn't helped me very much.

Still have to try out Drifter's tips though. Who knows... They just might help.

Still no response from Naughty Dog either. Of course, I can imagine they have their hands full finishing 'Uncharted 2' right now... So absolutely no hard feelings there.

In fact, I feel kinda bad that my problem has somewhat engulfed this thread.
Let's all keep in mind that this strange aura glitch is apparently very rare and that the game is absolutely brilliant! I can really recommend it to all PS3 owning Indy fans out here :)

fixer79

Trennas said:
It's a really odd problem, I can tell you that much :p

You got that right!

BUT, I finally solved the problem yesterday evening!

I messed around with EVERY setting on my TV yesterday, changing something and turning back to the game to see if it helped... Finally, after setting the '100Hz motion plus' function on 'bright' I noticed the problem had disappeared! (Later I discovered that it's best to put it on 'off' alltogether 'cos 'bright' causes severe cases of background tearing.)

So... the bogeyman in this story is the 100Hz Motion Plus function on my TV... Who'd have thought it...
I never thought it could cause a problem because Samsung makes it look like a new revolutionary function (which "reduces motion blur") on its box. Stores even have a screen with a 'with and without motion plus' comparison. They make it look like it's the discovery of the century ;)

Apparently, I'm not the only one with motion plus problems... Here's a bit I found online:

One of the main disadvantages with 100Hz technologies is what's known variously as "haloing" or the "three ball effect" -- which is in reference to its effects on sport. These terms effectively describe the artefacts that appear around images that are static in a moving scene. We've described it before as "Tom Cruise's 'nasal noise'".

More about it here:
http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-responds-to-100hz-motion-plus-issues-339287355.htm

Et voilà, another thing we've learned ;)

Trennas

Pfew! Glad you solved it! Now you can play the game like it's meant to be! :D

Bit weird about your TV though; it seems that the more advanced we make out technology, the more conflicts arise between devices :p

fixer79

Trennas said:
Pfew! Glad you solved it! Now you can play the game like it's meant to be! :D

Thanks man! :)

Trennas said:
Bit weird about your TV though; it seems that the more advanced we make out technology, the more conflicts arise between devices :p

You got that right... It's not the first time I notice that...
Oh well, as long as we solve these conflicts, everything's A-OK! ;)

Trennas

Yeah, but it just always seems to be such a bummer when you run into a problem and you can't find what's wrong at first :gun: