What is your personality type?

Hawkeye

I'm an ISTJ, or Introversion, Sensing, Thinking, and Judging. And, I'm curious, too Indyologist. What is your personality type?

Indyologist

Hawkeye said:
I'm an ISTJ, or Introversion, Sensing, Thinking, and Judging. And, I'm curious, too Indyologist. What is your personality type?

Heh. You'd like to know, wouldn't you? :eek: I'll tell mine after a few more people post their own on this thread. An interesting fact about mine? Less than 2% of the US population is my personality type.

So what did you all think? Were the descriptions for your type "right on" as far as how you think, feel and behave? Are any of you already in the occupations that are suggested for your particular type? You can find out more about this by just googling your particular type, such as "ISTJ careers" for example.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
See, I think the problem is that, at least in my own personal experience, I'm not really consistent on <I>any</I> of the dimensions. I'm also quite extraverted, capable of sinking into some sort of despair when deprived of human contact, but sometimes engaging in self-deprivation in order to recharge. I already noted that sensing and intuiting are very much in me to the same degree. I may have a toxic reaction to conflict, but I also accept it as inevitable, even necessary, and I definitely search for facts and logic. Sometimes I'm even capable of planning in advance and tending to details one-by-one, although it is surely true that judging is the characteristic of the eight that is most foreign to me.

The distinction I really like is that of the hedgehog and the fox, a distinction derived from the Greek poet Archilochus, who held that "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." You might say that I'm a hedgehog about the values of being a fox, really.

deckard24

I scored an INFJ(Introverted, Intuitive, Feeler, Judger) personality, but to be honest I was really torn between some of the answers. The middle two questions I had to read over a few times to make my final decision, because I have qualities from both camps. I googled INFJ careers and the characteristics they have laid out to describe INFJs fit me pretty much to a tee.
It also said only about 1% of the population has an INFJ personality...Indyologist are you one too?
Thanks for the link, that was fun!:hat:

Indyologist

Yep-- you guessed. I'm an INFJ too! Geez, no wonder people don't understand me! As for the other interesting fact I was going to reveal:
Indy is an ENTP: Extroverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceptive.

Read more here: http://www.dalefield.com/cvw/myersbw.html

Much of it was "right on" for Indy:

The potential is also there to be very good at analysis, and they usually demonstrate a tolerance for and enjoyment of the complex...there is the facility to be stimulated by difficulties, and they are likely to be most ingenious in solving them.

ENTP's are interested in the patterns of nearly everything and frequently go from one thing to the next, inventing prototypes and having faith in their ability to improvise rather than extensively prepare...Their interest, enthusiasm, and energy can pour suddenly into unforeseeable channels like a flash flood, sweeping everything along, overwhelming all obstacles, carving out a path which others will follow long after the force that made it has flowed on into other things.

Famous ENTPs include: Lewis Carroll, Nicola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Wernher von Braun, Walt Disney, Arthur C. Clarke, Bill Cosby, Carl Sagan and Steve Jobs.

Famous fictional ENTPs include: Bugs Bunny, Garfield and Indiana Jones.

Funny. I always pegged Indy as the quiet, scholarly type. Who knew? But then he does have a lot of friends-- and a lot of enemies, too.

Last edited:

deckard24

Indyologist said:
Yep-- you guessed. I'm an INFJ too! Geez, no wonder people don't understand me! As for the other interesting fact I was going to reveal:
Indy is an ENTP: Extroverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceptive.

Read more here: http://www.dalefield.com/cvw/myersbw.html

Much of it was "right on" for Indy:

The potential is also there to be very good at analysis, and they usually demonstrate a tolerance for and enjoyment of the complex...there is the facility to be stimulated by difficulties, and they are likely to be most ingenious in solving them.

ENTP's are interested in the patterns of nearly everything and frequently go from one thing to the next, inventing prototypes and having faith in their ability to improvise rather than extensively prepare...Their interest, enthusiasm, and energy can pour suddenly into unforeseeable channels like a flash flood, sweeping everything along, overwhelming all obstacles, carving out a path which others will follow long after the force that made it has flowed on into other things.

Famous ENTPs include: Lewis Carroll, Nicola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Wernher von Braun, Walt Disney, Arthur C. Clarke, Bill Cosby, Carl Sagan and Steve Jobs.

Famous fictional ENTPs include: Bugs Bunny, Garfield and Indiana Jones.

Funny. I always pegged Indy as the quiet, scholarly type. Who knew? But then he does have a lot of friends-- and a lot of enemies, too.
No one understands me either! LOL

About 1% of the population are INFJs huh? That makes us pretty unique I'd say, no wonder no one gets us!

I always thought of Indy as an introvert as well, but then again I suppose you have to be mildly extroverted to teach and be up in front of people all day. As a professor with a doctorate, my guess is he'd be giving lectures from time to time as well, so even more serious public speaking. Not the best line of work for the shy type!

Niteshade007

Attila the Professor said:
See, I think the problem is that, at least in my own personal experience, I'm not really consistent on <I>any</I> of the dimensions. I'm also quite extraverted, capable of sinking into some sort of despair when deprived of human contact, but sometimes engaging in self-deprivation in order to recharge.

Yeah, I had much of the same problem. I value my alone time, and I hate to be with a single group of people for too long, but I feel that really I need people more often than not.

I'm ENFP.