Bring back the classic, we miss those good times!

Which shows and entertainment blocks do you want back?

• Class of 3000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teen Titans

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Toonami

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Jonny Quest: The Original Series

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Pirates of Dark Water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SciFi's Flash Gordon

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

The Drifter

Stoo said:
If you like "Adam-12", you might like "Dragnet" and "Emergency!". All produced by Jack Webb (star of "Dragnet"). He also produced a cool, short-lived series called, "Project: UFO" about the USAF's Project Blue Book which I would LOVE to see again. Now, those are what one calls CLASSICS.;)

My dad used to watch Dragnet alot. Sargent Joe Friday was cool, and the "Blue Boy" episode is classic.
Do you remember the sitcom called "Car 54 Where Are You?"?

RedeemedChild

I'd love to see a new animated Conan The Barbarian show as well. Hopefully it could be made by the team who made the remake of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe back in 2002 for Cartoon Network or by the team who made Atlantis The Lost Empire at Walt Disney.

So far the only animated Conan The Barbarian programs that we've had are Conan The Adventurer and Conan and the Young Warriors and it's to bad no one is airing those shows. Hopefully we can an animated Conan The Barbarian on either Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon sooner or later.

RedeemedChild

Am I to believe that there are no Conan the Barbarian fans in The Raven?

What are you guys thoughts on reviving Conan The Barbarian?

The Drifter

RedeemedChild said:
Am I to believe that there are no Conan the Barbarian fans in The Raven?

What are you guys thoughts on reviving Conan The Barbarian?

I am a <b>HUGE</b> Conan the Barbarian fan. Have you ever read the original writings by his creator Robert E. Howard?
Conan did not start in the Arnold movies, or the Marvel comics. Conan was the creation of Howard for the pulp magazine Weird Tales in the 1930s.

If you've never read the true stuff by Howard, I HIGHLY recommend you buy the complete Conan tales from Del Rey books. It is a collection of three books and has every short story about Conan from his creator that was published and unpublished by Weird Tales.

Robert E. Howard also created King Kull, Bran Mak Morn, and Solomon Kane among many others.
Kull, Bran, and Kane's short stories can be bought from Del Rey as well.

I warn you, RC. I know you can get offended by things easy, the original writings are very dark and involve sacrifices to ancient gods that were really worshiped in the ancient days, as well as rape and other dark themes.

RedeemedChild

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I am a <b>HUGE</b> Conan the Barbarian fan. Have you ever read the original writings by his creator Robert E. Howard?
Conan did not start in the Arnold movies, or the Marvel comics. Conan was the creation of Howard for the pulp magazine Weird Tales in the 1930s.

If you've never read the true stuff by Howard, I HIGHLY recommend you buy the complete Conan tales from Del Rey books. It is a collection of three books and has every short story about Conan from his creator that was published and unpublished by Weird Tales.

Robert E. Howard also created King Kull, Bran Mak Morn, and Solomon Kane among many others.
Kull, Bran, and Kane's short stories can be bought from Del Rey as well.

I warn you, RC. I know you can get offended by things easy, the original writings are very dark and involve sacrifices to ancient gods that were really worshiped in the ancient days, as well as rape and other dark themes.

Thanks Lonsome Drifter! BTW I know about the older books but I chose to avoid them because of the darker content and antihero aspects they contained.

I'm pleased to learn that you are a Conan The Barbarian fan. I also like Conan a lot. I really like the cartoons Conan The Adventurer and Conan and the Young Warriors and sincerely hope that Cartoon Network or NickToons will create a new Conan The Barbarian animated series helmed by either the makers of Wolverine and The X-Men or the 2002 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe creators.

I've also noticed that some comic book stores are beginning to carry more Conan the Barbarian comics and toys. Hopefully Conan The Barbarian will be revived in the mainstream arena and it is my hope that either Peter Jackson (LOTR), Andrew Adamson (Chronicles of Narnia) or Jerry Bruckheimer (POTC) will create a new Conan The Barbarian movie as well. It'd also be nice if the team behind Age of Empires and Sid Meiers Pirates could come together and create some good E10+ and T for Teens Conan the Barbarian games for Sony PSP, Nintendo DS and XBOX 360 as I've noticed a lot of children are taking an interest in Conan the Barbarian in the area in which I live.

The Drifter

RedeemedChild said:
Thanks Lonsome Drifter! BTW I know about the older books but I chose to avoid them because of the darker content and antihero aspects they contained.

I'm pleased to learn that you are a Conan The Barbarian fan. I also like Conan a lot. I really like the cartoons Conan The Adventurer and Conan and the Young Warriors and sincerely hope that Cartoon Network or NickToons will create a new Conan The Barbarian animated series helmed by either the makers of Wolverine and The X-Men or the 2002 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe creators.

I've also noticed that some comic book stores are beginning to carry more Conan the Barbarian comics and toys. Hopefully Conan The Barbarian will be revived in the mainstream arena and it is my hope that either Peter Jackson (LOTR), Andrew Adamson (Chronicles of Narnia) or Jerry Bruckheimer (POTC) will create a new Conan The Barbarian movie as well. It'd also be nice if the team behind Age of Empires and Sid Meiers Pirates could come together and create some good E10+ and T for Teens Conan the Barbarian games for Sony PSP, Nintendo DS and XBOX 360 as I've noticed a lot of children are taking an interest in Conan the Barbarian in the area in which I live.

I respect your choice not to read Howard's yarns, but I can tell you which short-stories about Conan that are more toward your tastes if you wished.
I would love to see a new Conan movie, but I would have to say that I would want it to be more true to Robert E. Howard's vision, and that would mean no family-friendly setup.

There have been rumors regarding a new movie. One was that the brothers who made The Matrix movies was involved, and another was that Sly Stallone was to play Conan.
Also, there is a new cartoon movie based from Howard's short-story called Red Nails in production. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485621/

Also, there is a video game Conan on PS3 and 360, but it shows bare breasts in the game. So, I don't know if you'd be interested in that.
But, please do me a favor and go to wikipedia and look up Howard's stories on Conan, Kull, Bran Mak Morn, and Soloman Kane and read the synopsis for each story and pick some you may like and at least check them out.

RedeemedChild

Sure Lonesome, in fact some people have already been filling me in on some of the older materials that are fairly descent, including the Marvel Conan The Barbarian comics. I'm more of a comic book fan when it comes to heroes like He-Man, Conan and Thor than I am of text books.

BTW I am aware of the M rated Conan game but due to my faith and personal ideas I stayed away from that. However I've played the first Halo and the first Fable, but although they were M rated they were free from sexual content and further I've not played any other M rated games besides those two. On the other hand I helped lobby for a T rated game and along the other protesters I feel that our voice was heard by the guys at Bungie in the Halo Wars getting a T rating.

I have found a lot of support in various forums and other places for a new animated series on Conan the Barbarian that would follow in the steps of Conan The Adventure (1990's Conan cartoon), however I think Cartoon Network might be the only station willing to air it as they are bent on increasing their action, adventure genre that is now going strong with programs like Naruto, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Ben10 Alien Force.

I also feel that there is a need for T and E10+ rated Conan the Barbarian games as a younger audience is gathering day by day for Conan and especially after Barack OBama expressed his liking for Conan the Barbarian and Spider-Man in the same sentence.

I'm not so sure which will come first to the box office because Conan the Barbarian seems to be in hiatus while production on Greyskull: Masters of the Universe seems to be nearing finalization and to my pleasure I've also learned that it (Greyskull: MOTU) will be a lot like LOTR and Narnia. I'm also hoping that Jerry Bruckheimer if not Peter Jackson or Andrew Adamson will produce the Conan movie because I really like what he did with Pirates of the Caribbean and if he did such a wonderful job with Pirates and National Treasure than I know he can really make something out of Conan the Barbarian and besides he is already being praised for his work with Prince of Persia.

The Drifter

Dark Horse has the redone issues of the Marvel Conan comics in their ongoing series of graphic novels. The art is remastered as well, but the rest is original. I highly recommend looking into those. The run with Roy Thomas as writer and Big John Buscema as penciler are epic.

I had alot of these figures that came with the old cartoon. I only have two left from my childhood and they are of Conan and Set (or what it Wrath-Amon?)
51LeVd1LOTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That picture is not mine, and I can't seem to find one for the villian. I need to take some pictures of them when I get them outta storage.

Here are the short stories of Conan by Robert E. Howard:

The Phoenix on the Sword
The Scarlet Citadel
The Tower of the Elephant
Black Colossus
Xuthal of the Dusk
The Pool of the Black One
Rogues in the House
Iron Shadows in the Moon
Queen of the Black Coast
The Devil in Iron
The People of the Black Circle
A Witch Shall Be Born
Jewels of Gwahlur
Beyond the Black River
Man-Eaters of Zamboula (or Shadows in Zamboula)
The Hour of the Dragon
Red Nails
The Frost Giant's Daughter
The God in the Bowl
The Vale of Lost Women
The Black Stranger
The Snout in the Dark*
Drums of Tombalku*
The Hall of the Dead*
The Hand of Nergal*

The * means that those stories were not finished before he died. But, they are still collected in the Del Rey books.

I recommend that you get the first book in the Del Rey collection and read The Tower of the Elephant, Phoenix on the Sword, and The Queen of the Black Coast first.

Here are his Kull of Atlantis stories:

The Shadow Kingdom
The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune
The Alter and the Scorpion
The Black City
By This Axe, I Rule
The Curse of the Golden Skull
Delcarde's Cat
Exile of Atlantis
The Skull of Silence
The Striking of the Gong
Swords of the Purple Kingdom
The King and the Oak (A poem)

Here are his stories that revolve around his Pictish King, Bran Mak Morn:

Kings of the Night
The Dark Man
Worms of the Earth
Men of the Shadows
Bran Mak Morn
The Children of the Night

And, here is the stories about his Puritan hero who traveled the globe destroying evil; Solomon Kane!

Red Shadows
Skulls in the Stars
Rattle of Bones
The Moon of Skulls
Hills of the Dead
The Footfalls Within
Wings in the Night
Blades of the Brotherhood
The Right Hand of Doom
Death's Black Riders*
The Castle of the Devil*
The Children of Asshur* (Watch that be censored!)
The Hawk of Basti*
The One Black Stain (Poem)
The Return of Sir Richard Grenville (Poem)
Solomon Kane's Homecoming (Poem)

Again, * means unfinished works. Also, I have every one of these stories, and if you are interested in one. I will gladly write a short synopsis for you.
And, did you know that Robert E. Howard also wrote westerns?

Nurhachi1991

Leave it to beaver was alright I liked Whitey

but this episode took the cake

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qv30NpW1FX4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qv30NpW1FX4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RedeemedChild

I'll have to see if I can find some of the remastered Marvel Comics at Barnes and Noble or Books A Million. I also think that The Scarlet Citadel, Kings of the Night and Wings of the Night sound like good titles. I would like to see synopsis (if only it is not inconvenient for you) of those and is it possible to find some of the books you listed at a store like Barnes and Noble?

BTW how do you feel about Jerry Bruckheimer handling a Conan The Barbarian movie after seeing his work with Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia and what is your opinion regarding the 2002 Cartoon Network He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and how do you feel about the new Greyskull: Masters of the Universe movie?

The Drifter

Yes, you can find them at a store like Barnes and Noble. If you go to the store you may need to ask them to order the ones you want.
Here are the books:
The Conquering Sword of Conan
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
The Bloody Crown of Conan
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
Kull: King of Antlantis
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

Those six books contain every story that I listed in my previous post.

Here is some information for The Scarlet Citadel.
<i>The Scarlet Citadel" was the second Conan story to be printed by Weird Tales magazine and involves an older, wiser Conan as king of Aquilonia. King Conan receives a call for help from Amalrus, the ruler of neighbouring Ophir, who claims that Stradabonus, the king of Koth, is threatening his border.

When Conan marches to the aid of Amalrus with five thousand Aquilonian knights, the planned campaign is revealed to be a trap as Amalrus and Strabonus are working together to destroy Conan with the assistance of a Kothian wizard named Tsotha-lanti. The Aquilonian knights are cut to pieces and, having been taken prisoner, Conan is imprisoned in a Korshemish dungeon. This dungeon is used by the imperial wizard Tsotha-lanti for nefarious experiments and the story is largely a dark tour of that dungeon as Conan tries to escape.

In the dungeon, Conan frees Pelias, a former rival of Tsotha-lanti, who helps Conan to escape imprisonment and regain the throne of Aquilonia. The story climaxes in a gigantic battle with Tsotha-lanti meeting a grisly fate at the talons of Pelias.</i>

That text was taken from it's wiki-page. Now, in my opinion; I adore this story. Conan faces a classic foe deep within the dungeon. The yarn has a good adventure element to it, and is classic purple prose.

Also, here is a painting by Frank Frazetta for the story:
Conan_the_usurper.jpg

Kings of the Night is about Bran Mak Morn the Pictish King during the dawn of the Roman Empire.
We are let known, that Bran and his people are the descendants of the savage Picts during Conan's time. Also the yarn explores how Bran Mak Morn is the descendant of Brule the Spear-Slayer (Who was friend and comrade to Kull thousands of years before.)
Here is a painting of Bran Mak Morn:
bran_mak_morn_cover_05_edition.jpg

It's been a long time since I have read the Solomon Kane tales, and I can't remember that much about Wings in the Night. But, this is from Wikipedia.
<i>First published in Weird Tales, July 1932. In Africa again, Kane comes across an entire village wiped out, and all of the roofs have been ripped off, as if by something was trying to get inside from above.</i>
Here is a painting of Solomon Kane:
Solomon_Kane.jpg

Also, I would not mind seeing Jerry Bruckheimer direct a Conan movie, but I would still rather see Peter Jackson do it. I think Jackson would handle the subject matter better. In all of Howard's Conan tales there is one main theme and that is that barbarianism is the natural state of mankind, and that barbarianism will always triumph over civilization. The civilized world is in truth more dirty, and back-stabbing then savagery, and that the political rulers are more corrupt than any barbarian.
I think Jackson could handle that better.

Now, I would like to see Bruckheimer direct a Dragon Lance movie!

That's one thing i like about Barnes and Nobles they have a lot of my favorite old Books and Movies, a lot of the movies that are there are old shows that my Dad watched as a child, out of all the favorite shows my dad watched it was Zorro staring Guy Williams, my dad LOVED that show and so does my mother, brother and myself.
armando.jpg

And my Family loves Lost in Space, my mother's favorite character is Doctor Smith, i like him as well i think Doctor Smith is a really funny character. I think if Doctor Smith was never in the film i think the TV Series would not have gotten a lot of attention from the fans, But with the all the characters in the series it makes it wonderful A+.

Lost_In_Space_1.jpg

Bonanza is one of the best western TV series out there as well in my point of view no bad words just a wholesome series it teaches you morals, wisdom, discernment and right and wrong its just a wonderful show as well, you wont feel bad after watching a episode and thinking to yourself i really should have watched something els.

bonanza.jpg

Another one of my favorite shows is Daniel Boone staring Fess Parker i found out about the series well my dad told me and now i enjoy the show, the series teaches you as well morals and other things. if you want to see a good show that's the one to see as well, now you can hardly find a show that's worth while and you wont feel bad after watching the show:hat: .

32935913.JPG

I all so like the movie he stars in Davy Crockett
davy.jpg

Oh and BTW the reason i have not been on is because I'm sick with this Virus i got from eating dairy, my dad bought some yogurt and it said K but it was not and after we ate it my mom read the ingredients i almost fainted.:(
Plz don't think i have the SWINE FLU PEOPLE WILL BE HAULING MY MOM AND I OFF BECAUSE WERE SICK!

The Drifter

IndyWolf15 said:
Bonanza is one of the best western TV series out there as well in my point of view no bad words just a wholesome series it teaches you morals, wisdom, discernment and right and wrong its just a wonderful show as well, you wont feel bad after watching a episode and thinking to yourself i really should have watched something els.

Me and my dad enjoy Bonanza as well as Gunsmoke and other old western shows.

Agent Crab

I have a ton of old cartoons on DVD from the 80's. Such as Transformers, G.I Joe, Captain N the Game Master, Mario's Cartoons and so on. Garfield and Friends was pure classic in my opinion.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Me and my dad enjoy Bonanza as well as Gunsmoke and other old western shows.

My grandmother was a fan of Gunsmoke not anymore do she passed away when i was 3 i still remember her even do i was small. I watched the show sometimes, but my mother doesn't like the show because its to violent. So i don't watch the show that much.

I like the A-Team as well it's a pretty good show.

RedeemedChild said:
On the other hand I helped lobby for a T rated game and along the other protesters I feel that our voice was heard by the guys at Bungie in the Halo Wars getting a T rating.

T-Rated games, now endorsed by 'god'! (y) He doesn't like red pixels!

Lol, this topic is a million laughs.

WilliamBoyd8 said:
I once watched all 166 episodes of the early 1960's show "Route 66".

My dad watched Route 66 when he was a young person, but i have never seen the TV series, maybe i will see the series some day. We have a channel called RTN and they show mostly every old TV shows you can think of. I'm sure some of you Indy fans know the Channel.

51moob0fWHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

RedeemedChild

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Yes, you can find them at a store like Barnes and Noble. If you go to the store you may need to ask them to order the ones you want.
Here are the books:
The Conquering Sword of Conan
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
The Bloody Crown of Conan
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
Kull: King of Antlantis
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

Those six books contain every story that I listed in my previous post.

Here is some information for The Scarlet Citadel.
<i>The Scarlet Citadel" was the second Conan story to be printed by Weird Tales magazine and involves an older, wiser Conan as king of Aquilonia. King Conan receives a call for help from Amalrus, the ruler of neighbouring Ophir, who claims that Stradabonus, the king of Koth, is threatening his border.

When Conan marches to the aid of Amalrus with five thousand Aquilonian knights, the planned campaign is revealed to be a trap as Amalrus and Strabonus are working together to destroy Conan with the assistance of a Kothian wizard named Tsotha-lanti. The Aquilonian knights are cut to pieces and, having been taken prisoner, Conan is imprisoned in a Korshemish dungeon. This dungeon is used by the imperial wizard Tsotha-lanti for nefarious experiments and the story is largely a dark tour of that dungeon as Conan tries to escape.

In the dungeon, Conan frees Pelias, a former rival of Tsotha-lanti, who helps Conan to escape imprisonment and regain the throne of Aquilonia. The story climaxes in a gigantic battle with Tsotha-lanti meeting a grisly fate at the talons of Pelias.</i>

That text was taken from it's wiki-page. Now, in my opinion; I adore this story. Conan faces a classic foe deep within the dungeon. The yarn has a good adventure element to it, and is classic purple prose.

Also, here is a painting by Frank Frazetta for the story:
Conan_the_usurper.jpg

Kings of the Night is about Bran Mak Morn the Pictish King during the dawn of the Roman Empire.
We are let known, that Bran and his people are the descendants of the savage Picts during Conan's time. Also the yarn explores how Bran Mak Morn is the descendant of Brule the Spear-Slayer (Who was friend and comrade to Kull thousands of years before.)
Here is a painting of Bran Mak Morn:
bran_mak_morn_cover_05_edition.jpg

It's been a long time since I have read the Solomon Kane tales, and I can't remember that much about Wings in the Night. But, this is from Wikipedia.
<i>First published in Weird Tales, July 1932. In Africa again, Kane comes across an entire village wiped out, and all of the roofs have been ripped off, as if by something was trying to get inside from above.</i>
Here is a painting of Solomon Kane:
Solomon_Kane.jpg

Also, I would not mind seeing Jerry Bruckheimer direct a Conan movie, but I would still rather see Peter Jackson do it. I think Jackson would handle the subject matter better. In all of Howard's Conan tales there is one main theme and that is that barbarianism is the natural state of mankind, and that barbarianism will always triumph over civilization. The civilized world is in truth more dirty, and back-stabbing then savagery, and that the political rulers are more corrupt than any barbarian.
I think Jackson could handle that better.

Now, I would like to see Bruckheimer direct a Dragon Lance movie!

Well Lonesome Drifter, I'm sure you've been following Jerry Bruckheimer and his lasted project The Prince of Persia. Now after seeing what he has done so far with The Prince of Persia how do you feel now, as of today about him helming Conan the Barbarian. BTW what is Dragon Lance? Is it a newer adaption of Dungeons and Dragons?

Agent Crab

I was only 14 when Toonami came out.

I remember Sci Fi Channel having a block called "Sci Fi Channel Cartoon Quest".

Nick use to air some pretty great blocks in the 80's and early to mid 90's. The SHOUT! Factory has relased the first season of Transformers on DVD and GI Joe cartoons are around the area also!