Who else thinks Twilight sucks?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
I know I never will see every film ever made, but it is my quest to reach an unreachable star.

The question then, is, if you're going to go full-on Quixote with this, then, how much time should you spend on current films and how much should you spend playing catch up? The Twilight sequel might be, I don't know, we'll say the 40th most worthwhile film of the year, hypothetically. But the 40th most worthwhile auteur of all time (let's assume these things can be quantified) is much more deserving of your time. How do you strike the balance?

avidfilmbuff

Attila the Professor said:
The question then, is, if you're going to go full-on Quixote with this, then, how much time should you spend on current films and how much should you spend playing catch up? The Twilight sequel might be, I don't know, we'll say the 40th most worthwhile film of the year, hypothetically. But the 40th most worthwhile auteur of all time (let's assume these things can be quantified) is much more deserving of your time. How do you strike the balance?

Since the film has such a reputation both negative and positive, mostly negative, I will eventually take the time to see it, but I will definitely not bother adding it to my netflix que at the expense of films with great reputations that I have not seen such as Ran or Fitzcarraldo. If you asked me right now which film I have not seen would I like to see right now, and gave me the choice between Twilight or The 400 Blows, of course I'm going to pick the 400 Blows, for its reputation. If Twilight is ever shown on HBO or Cinemax, of course I will take the time to see it, as I do with many other films with less than admirable reputations. However, I don't spend every single minute watching films, for watching a film would be pointless if one does not take the time to think about it and analyze it. When watching a film that I hear nothing but positive reviews, I will usually either see the film in the theater, or turn off the lights in my house and not move from my seat until the film is done. I know being able to see every film ever made is more than extremely unlikely, but I try.

avidfilmbuff said:
Since the film has such a reputation both negative and positive, mostly negative, I will eventually take the time to see it, but I will definitely not bother adding it to my netflix of films with great reputations that I have not seen such as Ran or Fitzcarraldo. If you asked me right now which film I have not seen would I like to see right now, and gave me the choice between Twilight or The 400 Blows, of course I'm going to pick the 400 Blows, for its reputation. If Twilight is ever shown on HBO or Cinemax, of course I will take the time to see it, as I do with many other films with less than admirable reputations. However, I don't spend every single minute watching films, for watching a film would be pointless if one does not take the time to think about it and analyze it. When watching a film that I hear nothing but positive reviews, I will usually either see the film in the theater, or turn off the lights in my house and not move from my seat until the film is done. I know being able to see every film ever made is more than extremely unlikely, but I try.

Wait. What? You haven't seen Ran OR Fitzcarraldo? Dude, why are you even spending time discussing Twilight? Go now! See Ran and Fitzcarraldo-- be constructive. You'll thank me...

Grab Ikiru and Aguirre, The Wrath of God too if you haven't seen those...

avidfilmbuff

ResidentAlien said:
Wait. What? You haven't seen Ran OR Fitzcarraldo? Dude, why are you even spending time discussing Twilight? Go now! See Ran and Fitzcarraldo-- be constructive. You'll thank me...

Grab Ikiru and Aguirre, The Wrath of God too if you haven't seen those...

Oh I have seen Ikiru and Aguirre the Wrath of God, both magnificent films. And I just received Fitzcarraldo from netflix about two days ago, I haven't seen Ran yet because I wanted to read King Lear first, which I have just finished doing. I know what you must thinking of me, "how can you have the audacity of calling yourself an avid film buff without having seen those two films." Well, I try I try, there are just so many films with great reputations. I'll see every single great film in this world even if it kills me, even the bad films, although those are secondary, hence why I only watch them on television.

Last edited:

kongisking

Twilight has sucked all the blood (sorry, couldn't resist a pun) out of the vampire genre. It's absolutely destroyed the original relevance of these beings, which, believe it or not, were actually a metaphor for rape in Bram Stoker's masterpiece Dracula. Now vampires mean young, orgasm-inducing hunkies suffering "biter's guilt" (like the term I came up with?). Whatever happened to the classic, evil, undead, revolting and perverted creature of the night? Vampires are supposed to be terrifying! Now, as for werewolves, those guys kick all kinds of monster ass...can't wait for Rick Baker's new Wolfman next spring!

avidfilmbuff

I've just seen spoonyone's review of the new film, and wow. What insane lunatic came up with such a ludicrous plot. By spoony's description of her, Bella Swan sounds like the most annoying, volatile, and psychotic character I have ever heard of, gosh. But believe it or not, this just increases my curiosity to see the film, even though I'm more certain than ever that Twilight and its sequel are bad films, but I just have to see it to believe it. I might be wrong, but these films sound like they might be hilarious bad films like Manos or the Room, rather than just averagely bad.

Nurhachi1991

So I saw part 2 wasnt as lame as the first one. Vampires are still gay but at least they diddnt make werewolfs look that gay.

Agent Crab

Meerkat said:
Yep. I'd rather be a werewolf than a *shudders* vampire. I don't want to sparkle...

So, you hate it, but never seen it?

I dislike it, due to it's sexist and poorly written.

Meyer also ruined Vampires, but I never liked Vampires to begin with.

AnnieJones

Meerkat said:
Because I do.
No plot, no character flaws (which makes the story boring), and an absolutely horrid and twisted idea of "true love". (Does teenage marriage/pregnancy by an abusive boyfriend sound like true love to you?) :mad: :mad:
I would rant more about the suckishness of this disgrace to literature, but I don't have time right now. So I'll do it later.
I'm with you.I hate these movies.They don't make any sense and there stupid.I never liked vampire movies(I always thought they were meaningless and didn't have much a point to them)and I never will like them.These are just more movies to add to the list of movies I won't watch because I don't like vampire movies.
I didn't even like The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles – "Transylvania, January 1918" Masks of Evil episode.I don't mind the bookends,that Stoo put up,because they are just the bookends not the episode and I like seeing what scenes were taken out of the YIJC series,even though it was one of my least favorite bookends.Not my least favorite,just one of them.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Agent Crab said:
DO you have a reason to hate it?

Yep. I also think that it wasn't very well-written, and Bella was saved from trouble too easily.
Bella and Edward have no personality whatsoever- they just say romantic words. Not to mention the fact they're both absolutely perfect- Bella's only flaw is that she's clumsy, and Edward is a complete Gary-Stu.

Also, the fourth book should have been completely rewritten- the center of the plot was a daughter that shouldn't have existed. According to Meyer, vampires are supposed to be sterile, and yet Edward is able to have a child with Bella.

Probably one of the worst parts was the teenage marriage+pregnancy, and the fact that Renée and Charlie were perfectly fine with it. In fact, Charlie allowed it even after he had determined that Edward wasn't the right match for Bella! And when he found out Edward and Bella had a daughter, the only thing he said was, "You gonna make me a grandpa so young?"

Agent Crab

AnnieJones said:
I'm with you.I hate these movies.They don't make any sense and there stupid.I never liked vampire movies(I always thought they were meaningless and didn't have much a point to them)and I never will like them.These are just more movies to add to the list of movies I won't watch because I don't like vampire movies.
I didn't even like The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles ? "Transylvania, January 1918" Masks of Evil episode.I don't mind the bookends,that Stoo put up,because they are just the bookends not the episode and I like seeing what scenes were taken out of the YIJC series,even though it was one of my least favorite bookends.Not my least favorite,just one of them.

I don't like Crystal Skull.

The only vampires I liked were tthe ones in Castlevania. I kinda grew sick of Vampires in 2001 when everyone roleplayed at them. No, they didn't sparkle, it was just...UGN.

Twilight is sexist. It's forced romance.

avidfilmbuff

AnnieJones said:
I didn't even like The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles ? "Transylvania, January 1918" Masks of Evil episode.I don't mind the bookends,that Stoo put up,because they are just the bookends not the episode and I like seeing what scenes were taken out of the YIJC series,even though it was one of my least favorite bookends.Not my least favorite,just one of them.

Have you ever seen FW Murnau's Nosferatu? Not only is it one of the scariest films ever made, but one of the best examples of German Expressionism, although I haven't seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in a long while, and I don't really remember it. I would also recommend Bela Lugosi's version of Dracula and of course Horror of Dracula starring the fantastic Christopher Lee.

DocWhiskey

I have good friends that are Twilight fans. Personally, I don't know much about it. It does seem a little silly for my tastes, but what do I care if others enjoy it? Why should I try to stop them?

I have friends who laugh and poke fun at me because I enjoyed Indy 4 and own it on DVD. But I don't let it get to me. Who cares if they don't enjoy it?

All I'm saying is, why put so much effort into hating something?

Just move on and do the things you enjoy. Don't spend your life criticizing others' means of enjoyment. That's just stupid.