Happy Halloween Everyone!

The Drifter

Just thought I'd make this thread a little early. Wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe Halloween. Now is the time to start letting those eggs spoil, they'll be good and rotten for Halloween.
k50dc6.jpg

OH NOOOES OHHHHHH NOOES WHENS HALLOWEEN :confused:? I GOTTA GO HIDE SO I WON'T GET HIT BY EGGGGS!!!!!!!! :eek: :sick: :eek: :dead: x.x X.X x.x

HAPPY HALLOWEEN :(

No seriously when's Halloween?

The Drifter

IndyWolf15 said:
OH NOOOES OHHHHHH NOOES WHENS HALLOWEEN :confused:? I GOTTA GO HIDE SO I WON'T GET HIT BY EGGGGS!!!!!!!! :ee: :sick: :eek: :dead: x.x X.X x.x

HAPPY HALLOWEEN :(

No seriously when's Halloween?

The same as it's always been. October 31st.

Agent Z

Happy Halloween to all the Raveners out there! I hope you are all enjoying scary movies and obscene amounts of seasonal goodies. :whip:

We don't have a costume thread for this 2009 season? :confused:

Agent Z said:
Happy Halloween to all the Raveners out there! I hope you are all enjoying scary movies and obscene amounts of seasonal goodies. :whip:

We don't have a costume thread for this 2009 season? :confused:
I don't have any scary movies the only thing thats scary i've seen is Thriller and a Guy Williams Zorro episode called, The Ghost Mission. I have no goodies at all. Just Hot wings (y)

The Drifter

IndyWolf15 said:
I don't have any scary movies the only thing thats scary i've seen is Thriller and a Guy Williams Zorro episode called, The Ghost Mission. I have no goodies at all. Just Hot wings (y)

Get you some caramel apples, and rent or buy the Evil Dead trilogy on DVD. Sit back and enjoy.

The Drifter

IndyWolf15 said:
My family doesn't celebrate Halloween. That's why i don't have scary movies.

Horror movies aren't just for Halloween. But, it's cool if you don't watch them. If you ever did I could recommend some titles, and I am sure ResidentAlien could also. :D

Agent Z

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Get you some caramel apples, and rent or buy the Evil Dead trilogy on DVD. Sit back and enjoy.

Good choices all around! I'm actually watching Army of Darkness in HD soon. The first two Evil Dead films will do for a double feature once I get closer to the 31st. :)

If you guys are so inclined, you can follow my carnage on my October tracker. Horror films are great year-round, but October is when the feasting gets insane around these headquarters! (y)

Dr Bones

Here in the UK, Halloween is slowly like everything else becoming Americanised.

I remember as a kid, trick or treating where you made a costume yourself and went as a ghost or zombie or somethig spooky like that.

American's go as superheroes, stormtroopers, power rangers, pirates etc etc. Mostly in fancy expensive store bought suits.

I always considered this just to be fancy dress, not anything to do with Halloween.

So....this year, trick or treaters at my house must observe the Halloween dress code. Ghosts, witches, werewolves, vampires, monsters, mummies, skeletons, zombies, devils are all welcome.(y)

Turn up as Buzz Lightyear or Hannah Montana and you get ejected, "Go home, cut eyes holes in a bed sheet and try again." (n)

No exceptions for Indiana Jones...unless it's zombie Indiana Jones.

:dead:

Happy All Hallows' Eve.

KiKi Kat

Dr Bones said:
Here in the UK, Halloween is slowly like everything else becoming Americanised.

I remember as a kid, trick or treating where you made a costume yourself and went as a ghost or zombie or somethig spooky like that.

American's go as superheroes, stormtroopers, power rangers, pirates etc etc. Mostly in fancy expensive store bought suits.

I always considered this just to be fancy dress, not anything to do with Halloween.

So....this year, trick or treaters at my house must observe the Halloween dress code. Ghosts, witches, werewolves, vampires, monsters, mummies, skeletons, zombies, devils are all welcome.(y)

Turn up as Buzz Lightyear or Hannah Montana and you get ejected, "Go home, cut eyes holes in a bed sheet and try again." (n)

No exceptions for Indiana Jones...unless it's zombie Indiana Jones.

:dead:

Happy All Hallows' Eve.

I like to put my kids costumes together rather then buy them. I don't like store bought ones either. I am probably gonna dress up this year myself. But I'm not sure what I want to be.

DocWhiskey

Happy Halloween to everyone indeed!

Probably my favorite holiday. Going to do a zombie theme this year.

My favorite part?

Scaring the living crap out of all the trick or treaters.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Horror movies aren't just for Halloween. But, it's cool if you don't watch them. If you ever did I could recommend some titles, and I am sure ResidentAlien could also. :D
My family do not watch horror movies. You see the reason we don't celebrate Halloween because its about dead people, ghost which we know are not real, and then devils. Nothing against people who celebrate Halloween. Plus i have nightmares from horror movies, I don't see how my friend watchs horror movies, because she hates the dark. Anyway I have to go to bed, talk to you guys tomorrow, bye everyone :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyWolf15 said:
My family do not watch horror movies. You see the reason we don't celebrate Halloween because its about dead people, ghost which we know are not real, and then devils. Nothing against people who celebrate Halloween. Plus i have nightmares from horror movies, I don't see how my friend watchs horror movies, because she hates the dark. Anyway I have to go to bed, talk to you guys tomorrow, bye everyone :D

You should watch Psycho, then. No ghosts or devils in that. Just people...and they're potentially the scariest things around, aren't they?

And I know you and your brother are anti-Catholic, but I think that this brief article makes a compelling case for why earnest, faith-centric people can - and perhaps even should - make a place for Halloween in their list of annual celebrations.

Now, I'm an advocate of faith but not actively faithful myself - so I need to offer other reasons. Here's a few:

1) It's one of the few practices that most Americans (I can't speak to the experiences of other countries on this) actually take part in, that there's a strong tradition of engaging in, collectively, year by year. We have far too few of those.

2) We can't be serious about things all the time. Fun is important, and it shouldn't all be, shall we say, found in front of a screen.

3) Closely related to reason number 2 is a social function that I think is rather similar to one of the other Church-sanctioned days of, shall we say, differently demonstrated devoutness, by which I mean Mardi Gras/Carnival/Feast of Fools celebrations, which serves as something of an safety valve on social tensions and societal power structures. They free us - for a time - from some of our traditional restraints in a way that is valuable to both allow us to see the value of our restraints and withstand them longer by having a temporary escape.

4) This is a more secular version of the account offered in the link I gave, that evil exists in the world. Now, the notion of innate evil, the sort that's usually depicted by the demons and monsters that often appear on Halloween, is one sort. There's also criminality, depravity, greed...succumbing to our darker impulses in the committing of evil acts by individuals who do not seek to do evil, but rather who inadvertently commit such. I think the latter is more common than the former, but there's probably some value in imagining both.

5) Identity is an enormously complicated and important thing in the modern world. We can't rely on a clear sense of our place in the world the way we used to, in the Western world at least. You knew your political and religious allegiances, you knew your class-based obligations, you knew your race and gender and sexual orientation and in many cases did not even need to be troubled with beliefs and ideas, because most weren't educated. That's not the case anymore, and that's to the good, but it means that part of the work of living is constructing our own identity, formulating it from the disparate strands available to us in our lives. Halloween, in its less diabolic forms (I'm much more of a "dressing up as an individual character or figure" type), allows us the opportunity to experiment with different identities, to try them on for size and see to what extent, if at all, they fit into our selves. As someone who spends a lot of time on theatre, and used to spend a lot of time on philosophy, this is an enormously compelling justification.

KiKi Kat

Attila the Professor said:
You should watch Psycho, then. No ghosts or devils in that. Just people...and they're potentially the scariest things around, aren't they?

And I know you and your brother are anti-Catholic, but I think that this brief article makes a compelling case for why earnest, faith-centric people can - and perhaps even should - make a place for Halloween in their list of annual celebrations.

Now, I'm an advocate of faith but not actively faithful myself - so I need to offer other reasons. Here's a few:

1) It's one of the few practices that most Americans (I can't speak to the experiences of other countries on this) actually take part in, that there's a strong tradition of engaging in, collectively, year by year. We have far too few of those.

2) We can't be serious about things all the time. Fun is important, and it shouldn't all be, shall we say, found in front of a screen.

3) Closely related to reason number 2 is a social function that I think is rather similar to one of the other Church-sanctioned days of, shall we say, differently demonstrated devoutness, by which I mean Mardi Gras/Carnival/Feast of Fools celebrations, which serves as something of an safety valve on social tensions and societal power structures. They free us - for a time - from some of our traditional restraints in a way that is valuable to both allow us to see the value of our restraints and withstand them longer by having a temporary escape.

4) This is a more secular version of the account offered in the link I gave, that evil exists in the world. Now, the notion of innate evil, the sort that's usually depicted by the demons and monsters that often appear on Halloween, is one sort. There's also criminality, depravity, greed...succumbing to our darker impulses in the committing of evil acts by individuals who do not seek to do evil, but rather who inadvertently commit such. I think the latter is more common than the former, but there's probably some value in imagining both.

5) Identity is an enormously complicated and important thing in the modern world. We can't rely on a clear sense of our place in the world the way we used to, in the Western world at least. You knew your political and religious allegiances, you knew your class-based obligations, you knew your race and gender and sexual orientation and in many cases did not even need to be troubled with beliefs and ideas, because most weren't educated. That's not the case anymore, and that's to the good, but it means that part of the work of living is constructing our own identity, formulating it from the disparate strands available to us in our lives. Halloween, in its less diabolic forms (I'm much more of a "dressing up as an individual character or figure" type), allows us the opportunity to experiment with different identities, to try them on for size and see to what extent, if at all, they fit into our selves. As someone who spends a lot of time on theatre, and used to spend a lot of time on philosophy, this is an enormously compelling justification.

I couldn't have said it any better myself!

indyclone25

happy halloween folks , just remember to have fun , drive safe and protect your little ones as the cross those dark streets, :D

Goonie

All I know is I want to go trick or treating to the Coneheads' house. They give out six-packs of brewski. (y)

I was hoping to celebrate Halloween this year since it falls on a Saturday, however, a job fair is happening in Calgary on the 30th and 31st so I'll probably be heading out for that. Trying to find a good job is taking precedence over holiday celebrations right now.