Smitty's Junk

Montana Smith

Some guns are pretty, some are just damn ugly.

Being brought up on western movies they fill my mind with images of action and adventure. Primarily, I like guns the way some people like fine pieces of porcelain. It started back in the early '80s when there was a company making dry-firing 1:1 replicas with the correct weight of the originals. I only kept one gun from that period, a Colt .45. After reading The Outlaw Josey Wales (and then seeing the movie) I wished that I'd kept the Colt .44 as well.

Most of the replicas available today are made of ABS plastic with metal filings, but they still only weigh about half as much as the originals. So I've kept myself to the older replicas, apart from the airsofts).

This week, after so many years, I finally re-acquired that missing replica.

Over the years I've been slowly collecting replica guns, and holsters, when they come my way. Having already taken most of the photos, I thought I'd share my collection here. To those living in countries with the right to bear arms (including pistols and revolvers), and where the real versions of some of these can be bought over the counter, this may seem trite. :eek:

They reside as exhibits among my personal museum of collectables, and never leave the house. Guns are becoming an ever more touchy subject in the UK, and even replicas have to be treated with extreme caution and respect.

There are a few Indiana Jones references along the way...

1860 Army Colt .44 heavy weight replica:

DSCN3875.jpg

1860 Griswold & Gunnison .36 heavy weight replica (The Confederate Army’s iron and brass copy of the .36 Colt):

NavyColt36.jpg

1866 Winchester .45 heavy weight replica:

1866Wincester45.jpg

M1869 Smith & Wesson Schofield .45 ‘top break’ heavy weight replica:

DSCN3873.jpg

DSCN3874.jpg

1873 Colt .45 Peacemaker heavy weight replica and western holster (as used in countless westerns, and during the circus train chase in The Last Crusade):

1873Colt45Peacemaker.jpg

1873 Colt .45 US Cavalry heavy weight replica:

1873CavalryColt45.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum 4” barrel blank firer (the closest replica I've been able to find to Indy's 4" S&W 1917):

DSCN3867.jpg

DSCN3866.jpg

DSCN3869.jpg

Heckler & Koch 9mm MP5 airsoft replica:

HKMP5A39mm.jpg

Walther 9mm P99 airsoft replica (Bond’s replacement for the PPK, and with a toe-bustingly heavy magazine if you accidentally trigger the release mechanism!):

1996WaltherP999mm.jpg

Military holster for a large frame .455 Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector or .455 Webley Mk VI (i.e. Indy style):

DSCN3654.jpg

DSCN3655.jpg

Western holster:

DSCN3877.jpg

Unknown holster:

DSCN3878.jpg

The George Lawrence Co., Portland, Oregon, left-handed holster:

DSCN3879.jpg

Price Western Leather shoulder holster for a K or L Frame Smith & Wesson:

DSCN3880.jpg

Last edited:

DiscoLad

I am sure many of us own a couple of these. I don't know about you northerners but I know I do. :p
23vhl76.jpg

Mmmmm... Double Barrel.

Nurhachi1991

I don't see the point of owning a gun replica or fake... unless you gonna do a drive by on some punk ass suckas!

DiscoLad

How much does a replica run you, Anyway?

You can find guns for cheap in some places so why not buy the real deal?

Finn

Staff member
DiscoLad said:
Just a guess, but Mr. Smith's place of residence might have something to do with that. The gun laws out in the British Isles are possibly a tad stricter than by the bayou there, I reckon.

Montana Smith said:
They reside as exhibits among my personal museum of collectables, and never leave the house. Guns are becoming an ever more touchy subject in the UK, and even replicas have to be treated with extreme caution and respect.

I also have to say I agree with Monty. Some guns are pretty aesthetic. Also like him, I prefer watching to touching. The fun of carrying them is kind of mired by all those second-nature regulations, safety protocols and other shtick of that ilk crammed into my head by the FDF.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Just a guess, but Mr. Smith's place of residence might have something to do with that. The gun laws out in the British Isles are possibly a tad stricter than by the bayou there, I reckon.

I also have to say I agree with Monty. Some guns are pretty aesthetic. Also like him, I prefer watching to touching. The fun of carrying them is kind of mired by all those second-nature regulations, safety protocols and other shtick of that ilk crammed into my head by the FDF.

Right on the button, Finn. The laws here are very strict, after several high profile shootings, beginning with the Hungerford massacre in 1987 in which 16 people were murdered and another 15 wounded.

After Hungerford the government passed the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988. This confined semi-automatic and pump-action centre fire rifles, military weapons firing explosive ammunition, short shotguns that had magazines, and both elevated pump-action and self-loading rifles to the Prohibited category. Registration and secure storage of shotguns held on Shotgun Certificates became required, and shotguns with more than a 2+1 capacity came to need a Firearm Certificate. The law also introduced new restrictions on shotguns, although rifles in .22 rimfire and semi-automatic pistols were unaffected.

In 1996 a former Scout leader walked into Dunblane Primary School armed with two 9 mm Browning HP pistols and two Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolvers, all legally held. He was carrying 743 cartridges, having loaded the magazines for his Brownings with an alternating combination of full-metal-jacket and hollow-point ammunition. He fired 109 times killing 16 children and their teacher.

That terrible event was the final straw for handguns in the UK.

The government passed the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 which means that as of 1997 handguns have been almost completely banned for private ownership.

Exceptions to the ban include muzzle-loading "blackpowder" guns, pistols produced before 1917, pistols of historical interest (such as pistols used in notable crimes, rare prototypes, unusual serial numbers and so on), starting pistols, pistols that are of particular aesthetic interest (such as engraved or jewelled guns) and shot pistols for pest control.

Even the UK's Olympic shooters fall under this ban; shooters can only train in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or abroad (namely Switzerland).

Following the awarding of the 2012 Olympic Games to London, the government announced that special dispensation would be granted to allow the various shooting events to go ahead, as had been the case previously for the 2002 Commonwealth Games. However, it was still illegal for Britain's top pistol shooters to train in England, Scotland or Wales. As a result, a limited dispensation was agreed to provide section 5 permits for a limited number of pistol-shooters nominated by British Shooting, which would allow them to train in the UK.

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 even tackles imitations, to restrict realistic modern firearms. They define a "modern firearm" as "any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870." Imitations of modern looking guns are now produced in bright colours or made transparent, to highlight the fact that they aren't real (police have shot people brandishing imitations in the past).

Disco Lad said:
How much does a replica run you, Anyway?

A replica can be had from £20-35. The "real deal" is out of the question for the legal reasons outlined above. De-activated handguns can be bought, as long a certificate of de-activation is provided. But if you look at this UK website, you can see that the prices are a lot steeper than for replicas.

http://www.worldwidearms.com/prodpage.cfm?CategoryID=12382&CFID=22911678&CFTOKEN=89305303

You get much more 'bang' for your buck with replicas - you can display a lot more for the cost of a single de-activated firearm.

Either way, the only way a replica or a de-activated firearm is going to harm anyone is if you can get close enough to hit them with it, or you drop one on your foot.

Problems start when people decide to take them outside or try to pass them off as the real thing.

At the flea market where I bought the .44 1860 Army Colt, somebody actually called the police to warn them of the seller's four other replicas. When they arrived they took one look at them and laughed, as they were all models associated with the 'wild west', though not particuarly associated with the 'wild west of Britain'!

Last edited:

DiscoLad

Finn said:

Just because we're by the bayou does't mean we're hicks. *Cough*:p

Yeah, the laws are loose around Louisiana. I'm not so sure it'll stay that way though with the way New Orleans is acting...
Can you believe you can't hold an unconcealed firearm on your person in Texas? Crazy. . .:confused:

Oh and Montana, I like that Smith and Wesson you got there. Reminds me of my snub nose in Call of Duty.
Just big enough to pack a punch, Still big enough to look manly. Haha.

Montana Smith said:
Right on the button, Finn. The laws here are very strict, after several high profile shootings, beginning with the Hungerford massacre in 1987 in which 16 people were murdered and another 15 wounded.

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 even tackles imitations, to restrict realistic modern firearms. They define a "modern firearm" as "any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870." Imitations of modern looking guns are now produced in bright colours or made transparent, to highlight the fact that they aren't real (police have shot people brandishing imitations in the past).

Now for a ban on Footballs!

Hillsborough Disaster of 1989

Guns don't kill people...I KILL PEOPLE!

url

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Oh and Montana, I like that Smith and Wesson you got there. Reminds me of my snub nose in Call of Duty.
Just big enough to pack a punch, Still big enough to look manly. Haha.

It's the same size as Indy's cut down 4" S&W 1917 Stembridge, but the oversize target grips make it look stubbier.

RotLA-SW1917stembridge4inchbarrel.jpg

It's dwarfed by some of the other guns, especially the 8" barrel Schofield - that's a monster of a gun which feels like hefting half a ton, especially with the dummy shells I loaded it with.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Now for a ban on Footballs!

Guns don't kill people...I KILL PEOPLE!

Once you've seen some of the football supporters (and footballers) in the UK, you realize that keeping guns out of their hands was a wise move! (They aren't all reasonable gentlemen like Vinnie Jones!) ;)

Last edited:

DiscoLad

I've never seen a top break like that schofield (Time to scroll back down to make sure I spelled that right. . . Yup). I had read it up on Wikipedia a time back and I read it broke easily because it opens from the top. I always wondered what it would take to break.

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
I've never seen a top break like that schofield (Time to scroll back down to make sure I spelled that right. . . Yup). I had read it up on Wikipedia a time back and I read it broke easily because it opens from the top. I always wondered what it would take to break.

It's quick to open - just pull back the hammer and pull up the catch. With a separate pre-loaded cylinder you got a much faster reload than the Colts (as Leonardo DiCaprio did in the Quick and the Dead), so the top break was preferred by some of the more notorious gunfighters and 'lawmen'.

It's a strange looking weapon, with that small grip and long heavy barrel that constantly feels off-balance.

I love this site for references to guns used in movies:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Smith_&_Wesson_Schofield

Almost an Indy reference: a Model 3 in Romancing the Stone!

800px-RTS_019.jpg

WilliamBoyd8

My father owned a Webley 45 and sever other pistols when I was a kid.
It used "moon clips" which held three rounds.
My mom and I sold his pistols when he died in 1981.
I did keep a Winchester Model 1894 rifle.

:)

Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
Roman Coins, Mexican Coins, Favorite Coins, Movie Coins

Montana Smith

WilliamBoyd8 said:
It used "moon clips" which held three rounds.

:)

Ah, the Webley .45. I'd love to add one of those to the collection, not only for the the Indy connection, but because my grandad (on my dad's side) carried one in the Royal Artillery during the First World War, and later as a Captain in the Home Guard during the Second World War. My dad says he always remembers the Webley in it's canvas holster and the rifle laying around at home during wartime.

In the early '80s my mum happened to pick up what she thought was a rusty old airgun at a car boot sale. It languished in the shed for some time before I decided to clean it up.

I could hardly believe it when I saw the magic word "Winchester", and the date "1898". It turned out to be a .22 pump action with octagonal barrel. It cleaned up nicely, and the action was really sweet sounding.

I kept it for a while, but sadly my parents thought it best to sell it because we had no gun license!

DiscoLad

WilliamBoyd8 said:

Sorry to hear about your father.

At least you still have the rifle, hm.
That was such a popular rifle.
My father has one as well. Haha, small world.
We found his pistol one time when we were flipping the matress. XD

Montana, that Griswold & Gunnison .36 looks an awful lot like the same kind of gun used by John Dunbar in "Dances with Wolves" starring Kevin Costner. Googling it though, I don't think it.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Montana, that Griswold & Gunnison .36 looks an awful lot like the same kind of gun used by John Dunbar in "Dances with Wolves" starring Kevin Costner. Googling it though, I don't think it.

Wait while I consult the imfdb.org (time can fly by when I get onto that site...)

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Griswold_&_Gunnison_Revolver

Only two references to the Griswold & Gunnison.

The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James:

600px-LDOF%26JJG%26G1860-1.jpg

Quigley Down Under:

600px-QuigleyColtNavy1.jpg

600px-QuigleyColtNavy2.jpg

In Dances With Wolves, John Dunbar was using the Colt 1851 Navy .36, from which the G&G was copied:

600px-DWWColt1851-3.jpg

400px-1851Navy.jpg

The major difference was that the Colt had an octagonal barrel.

Last edited:

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
The major difference was that the Colt had an octagonal barrel.

Ahhh, the octagonal barrel.
One of the most memorable things for me about Quigley's rifle is that it's barrel has an odd shape like that, doesn't it?
Sucks, I thought I was right for once when I saw that gun and compared it to "Dances with Wolves". :)

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Ahhh, the octagonal barrel.
One of the most memorable things for me about Quigley's rifle is that it's barrel has an odd shape like that, doesn't it?
Sucks, I thought I was right for once when I saw that gun and compared it to "Dances with Wolves". :)

Those pesky southerners (;)) copied as much as they could of the Colt, but had to simplify the barrel. They also used the iron and brass due to a shortage of case hardened steel.

Quigley's rifle was apparently a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Long Range Rifle:

600px-QuigleySharps2.jpg

I've never seen this film, though.

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
Those pesky southerners (;)) copied as much as they could of the Colt, but had to simplify the barrel.

I've never seen this film, though.

For a second there, I thought you were serious. Then I saw the wink and laughed aloud. :D
I was like "Oh no, it's on now!" :p

But seriously, you havn't seen that film, man if you like westerns then you can't overlook this movie. Quigly is so awesome.
It really is a good movie, you should see it if you are into the west.
I give it a 4 outta 5. (y)

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
For a second there, I thought you were serious. Then I saw the wink and laughed aloud. :D
I was like "Oh no, it's on now!" :p

You gonna whistle 'Dixie' or pull that double-barrel shotgun?

I've watched Southern Comfort, so I know it how dangerous the Loosiana bayou is! :p

DiscoLad said:
But seriously, you havn't seen that film, man if you like westerns then you can't overlook this movie. Quigly is so awesome.
It really is a good movie, you should see it if you are into the west.
I give it a 4 outta 5. (y)

Another one to add to the list.

:hat:

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
You gonna whistle 'Dixie' or pull that double-barrel shotgun?

I've watched Southern Comfort, so I know it how dangerous the Loosiana bayou is! :p

Haha, The Raven's version of a Civil War. :p

Speaking of double barrels, the side by side are far better than the over under. Just putting my opinion in there.

Anyone else notice how quite The Raven is today??
Looks like it's only me, Finn, Montana, and Rocket.