Smitty's Junk

Finn

Staff member
Aw man, I just saw somebody selling a fully assembled Bren LMG at a yard sale the other day. Would you have posted your most recent acquisition a couple of days earlier, I could have picked it up for you. The seller seemed like a generally nice guy and he also had a QF25 howitzer, but I didn't give it a second look since somebody had obviously been stingy with grease.

But that Bren, aw. I'm sure if I'd haggled a bit, he could even have thrown in a few boxes of .303 AP rounds as a sweetener.

<small>Sarcasm? Duh.</small>

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Aw man, I just saw somebody selling a fully assembled Bren LMG at a yard sale the other day. Would you have posted your most recent acquisition a couple of days earlier, I could have picked it up for you. The seller seemed like a generally nice guy and he also had a QF25 howitzer, but I didn't give it a second look since somebody had obviously been stingy with grease.

But that Bren, aw. I'm sure if I'd haggled a bit, he could even have thrown in a few boxes of .303 AP rounds as a sweetener.

<small>Sarcasm? Duh.</small>

Note taken.

You're on a role today, Finn!

Thinking of my granddad's Webley, and his service during the first and second world wars got me asking questions of my own dad. His dad died in 1949, so all I know of him was what my dad remembers.

He was tall, imposing, commanded authority, and was a 'bit of a lad', even in his mature years. He had retired after active service in the Royal Artillery during the Great War. He related some of the horrors of that war. Little bits that I heard from a young age, such as how the horses which were used to pull the gun carriages up were just cut loose to run around in terror, and were often killed.

Despite that, my grandfather loved to be in the thick of action. The war didn't seem to affect him badly. He was commissioned as an officer in the Home Guard during the second world war, because he had that natural command of authority. He was a captain, responsible for the defences around Southampton. Used to take my dad with him on inspections of the gun emplacements.

A documentary on the St. Nazaire commando raids brought up an interesting bit of information: before the actual raid the commandos trained against the Home Guard at the Southampton docks. Apparently the Home Guard ran rings around the commandos at first.

We have no idea whether or not my grandad was involved - as at the time it was obviously all highly secret.

As a very young boy my own dad even remembers the the boats assembling for Dunkirk, the thousand bomber raids, the build up of men and equipment in the woods for D-Day - it was too big an operation to keep secret, and everyone in that area knew that something was about to happen.

He even tells of a time when he and his school friends were forced to dive into a ditch when a German fighter came low over the road. There had been tales of Germans strafing civilians, but this one luckily didn't open fire.

And, as I wrote earlier, my dad remembers the Webley in it's canvas holster around the house during the war.

Every so often I check the website www.worldwidearms.com.

They still had these in stock:

97150.jpg

British Webley Mk IV Commercial Revolver.

A 6-shot .38 cal double action revolver with 5" barrel - commercial blue finish and B-prefix serial numbers introduced in 1957 until final production in 1979. These examples circa 1965. Very Fine Condition with most original finish. The same as the WW2 Military Revolver but made 20 years later. DEACTIVATED with fully moving parts.

For old time's sake, dad said, "Order it. We'll go halves."

Last edited:

DiscoLad

Oh look there's Finn. Scatter!! :p

Ouch, Montana. Something about that gun doesn't rub me the right way.

Oh and when you replied to me with that number 1, we were still talking guns right... :eek:

Hehe. :p

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Ouch, Montana. Something about that gun doesn't rub me the right way.

It's not as pretty as a Smith & Wesson, but it does have good British pedigree! The Mk IV was originally termed the 'Boer War' model, as it first appeared in 1899.

After the first world war the military deemed the .455 cailbre bullet to be too large. It had been designed to stop charging tribesmen and there were doubts its soft bullets were acceptable in civilized warfare (!) How's that for an ouch moment? Webley and Enfield then produced revolvers in .38 calibre.

Webleys and Enfields are very similar in design, and the Mk IV is similar to the Mk VI or the Webley Government/Green. Therefore an added association to Indy's weapon of choice in The Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Webley Mk IV .38:

WebleyMkIV.jpg

Webley G .455:

Wgl.jpg

IJLC-Webley01a.jpg

IJLC-Webley02a.jpg

IJLC-Webley03a.jpg

IJLC-Webley04a.jpg

IJLC-WebleyCavea.jpg

IJLC-WebleyHorseRide01A.jpg

DiscoLad said:
Oh and when you replied to me with that number 1, we were still talking guns right... :eek:

Hehe. :p

This big?
5331.gif

DiscoLad

Let's just say the gun looks good when it's flying by in the hands of Indy...
No if it were a boomstick, there would be a different story. :p

DiscoLad

Ooooooo that is a nice gun. (y)
I remember seeing those on wikipedia. While reading about boomsticks

But more on shotguns.
What they lack in range they make up for with a wall of stopping power and the ability to fire a shot right after the first. Aha!:D

Montana, how many times do you rape google for pictures because you're posting so many pictures in this thread. :)

Montana Smith

I can't believe it!

I only ordered it from Worldwide Arms yesterday, and it arrived half an hour ago, courtesy of a neighbour. (The delivery guy left it with him by mistake this morning).

It's still covered in grease:

DSCN3884.jpg

DSCN3885.jpg

A deactivated Webley Mk IV .38 double action with 5" barrel.

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
Han Solo's weapon of choice as well.

Not to be trollin' but...
Han Solo sucks Montana and so does that entire franchise!!:D

But hey I like guns.
I like my women like I like my guns...
Greasy. 0_o

*Cough*

DiscoLad

Hey uh... Montana.

That case you have the gun on is quite distracting and full of small, interesting pieces of the past it would seem.

I'd kill to look through them all. Nice. (y)

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Hey uh... Montana.

That case you have the gun on is quite distracting and full of small, interesting pieces of the past it would seem.

I'd kill to look through them all. Nice. (y)

Hey, you're back! That was quick! This thread's been quiet without you.

(There was a a glitch in the system, and for a while you were appearing on the Currently Active Users page... like a ghost)

I've been collecting all manner of bits and pieces - mainly badges in there, but also shoulder pips, coins, medals, buttons, bullets, and the two death crosses.

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
Hey, you're back! That was quick! This thread's been quiet without you.

(There was a a glitch in the system, and for a while you were appearing on the Currently Active Users page... like a ghost)

I've been collecting all manner of bits and pieces - mainly badges in there, but also shoulder pips, coins, medals, buttons, bullets, and the two death crosses.

Awesome, I would love to hold those things. I see a little historian in Montana. (y)

Yeah I got a vacation. Upon returning, I found all the threads appeared as already viewed like I had been there only a few minutes ago and I had to go back and manually check each thread to see If I had any replies... That got tiresome.

Yeah, i was gonna bring it up in the appropriate thread in "FeedBack" but it seemed unecessary...

But hey nice shiny objects you have there.
No way you could have bought them all. No? Small fortune, me thinks. :D

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
silent but deadly

Eat less spinach, Popeye!

A rare visitation to this thread, Rocket-Fuel-Boy!

DiscoLad said:
Awesome, I would love to hold those things. I see a little historian in Montana.

But hey nice shiny objects you have there.
No way you could have bought them all. No? Small fortune, me thinks.

Just things that I've been picking up over the years, when I've seen them cheap. Some of thre badges aren't originals, but 'restrikes' (struck from the original moulds, or recreated).

Montana Smith

All the shiny things, especially for the Disco Lad...

DSCN3888.jpg

DSCN3914.jpg

DSCN3895.jpg

And maybe something Rocket-shaped for today's other visitor?

DSCN3897.jpg

DSCN3899.jpg

DSCN3900.jpg

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

DSCN3905.jpg

And a little something extra for the weekend, sir?

DSCN3906.jpg

DSCN3908.jpg

I always lurk here, adding to the view count.:hat:

I just don't advertise, if you see my gun(s) it's already too late.

Maybe I'll post a pick of my crossbow...

Most interesting to me are the pins, (I have a few myself), and the background. Any originals? Your favorites? Love the Nazi pin, (like Toht's/Donovan's). Would appreciate a thread on those and their history.:hat: