Smitty's Junk

Indy's brother

I noticed the pic of that ASEK I posted here has disappeared without a trace....was it deleted to avoid confusion? I understand if that's the case, since this thread is for Montana to showcase his stuff, not for me to babble about the things I want. Clarification please, was my post edited?

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
I noticed the pic of that ASEK I posted here has disappeared without a trace....was it deleted to avoid confusion? I understand if that's the case, since this thread is for Montana to showcase his stuff, not for me to babble about the things I want. Clarification please, was my post edited?

I still see it, IB. Maybe something is screwy on your end?

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:

I still see it too, so nobody deleted anything. Are you seeing a red X, or nothing at all?

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
I still see it too, so nobody deleted anything. Are you seeing a red X, or nothing at all?

Huh. I still see nothing. No "Image unavailable" icon or anything....."wiped clean by the wrath of God". Very strange. I'll reset my browser and see if that does anything. I'll not clog up this thread with it anymore with talk of it, though. Other than that, thanks for the feedback, guys.
:confused:

EDIT: That fixed it, but it makes me wonder if I've been missing anything here lately.

Montana Smith

My little collection of German stamps came to light this morning.

Some show inflationary price rises, which marked the economic chaos Germany was in after the First World War.

GermanStamps.jpg

In 1921 it took 75 marks to buy 1 dollar. In the following years the figures become staggering:

1922: 400 marks to the dollar.
1923: 7,000 marks to the dollar.
January 1923: 18,000 marks to the dollar.
1 July 1923: 160,000 marks to the dollar.
1 August 1923: 1 million marks to the dollar.
November 1923: 4 billion marks to the dollar.

After November 1923 the figures were into the trillions.

(The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich, William L. Shirer, Pan Books, 1964)

Montana Smith

Been sorting some of the junk, and adding to it.

100_0118.jpg

The disc mid-left is a replica of something Major Toht would have carried: a Gestapo Dienstmarke (Warrant Disc).

Above it is something he might have given to his unlucky lady: an original 1930s Swastika necklace pendant.

Finn

Staff member
Monty, you're one of the more respected faces here and we both know that... but you do realize that you're going to be a stock target for overcompensating jokes after all this, right?

<small>But no matter. I suppose the thing that counts is how you use it... or so I hear.</small>

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Monty, you're one of the more respected faces here and we both know that... but you do realize that you're going to be a stock target for overcompensating jokes after all this, right?

<small>But no matter. I suppose the thing that counts is how you use it... or so I hear.</small>

:D

As Corporal Jack Jones from Dad's Army used to say (referring to his bayonet, of course), "They don't like it up 'em!"

Finn said:
...you do realize that you're going to be a stock target for overcompensating jokes after all this, right?

I got to...

Is this a testimonial:

Finn said:

...or no?

Montana Smith

Anybody here read Japanese?

Continuing the Japanese theme, but in a completely different direction...

Does anybody know what this old enamel pin badge says?

Japaneseenamelbadge.jpg

It has '557' engraved on the reverse, so it's some kind of membership badge. The copper plate has been curved, as if to fit on a cap. My first guess was Japanese railways, but I have no basis for that.

Montana Smith

I picked up some genuine Smith & Wesson K Frame walnut target grips to upgrade the cracked plastic ones, but they weren't a perfect fit. My neighbour did what he could, and here's the result:

100_0132.jpg

And as they were before:

DSCN3866.jpg

This is probably the closest I'm ever going to get to Indy's S&W 1917, considering his was cut down to 4".

RotLA-SW1917stembridge4inchbarrel.jpg