The Best Hamburger in the World

The Drifter

Mickiana said:
Has no one in the Americas or elsewhere heard of pineapple on a hamburger? I don't know the origins of this, I presumed it may have been American. It might be an Australian thing then! For instance we enjoy a pizza called The Hawaiian which is ham and pineapple on top of the mozzarella.

The acidic sweetness of pineapple goes well with the typical burger, but especially so when you have bacon in there too. It adds a bit of a 'tropical' flavour which is perfectly suited to a summer's lunch at the beach in my corner of the world.

I love all the ideas for variations posted here. I'm putting weight on just reading the menu!

I have heard of pineapple being on top of a burger, but never tried it. Also, my wife LOVES pineapple and ham pizza. I don't care much for it, but she sure enjoys it.

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome, I guess. Like I said, never found their products anything special. (And no, this should not be understood as in me preferring McDonald's. I find 'em both pretty much made of the same mold.)

Stoo said:
No Burger King in your area?
Nope. It's either HesB, McD, or bust. Unless you can find some local joint, that is.

If one really wants to get into the heart of the Finnish fast food cuisine though, they should find themselves a snack grill and order a meat doughnut with every filling they (or the vendor) can think of. So tasty, so filling... so much in fact that afterwards, you'll likely feel as if you've swallowed a stone.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhP2uAF4znY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Montana Smith

This incident was just the tip of the iceberg lettuce filling:

burger-king-shoots-mcdonalds.gif

Read the history they'd rather you not know:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/McDonalds

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Burger_King

Stoo said:
@Montana Smiffy: You're such a ham! Why don't you eat burgers?:confused: They are delicious.

Because if I ever chose to eat meat again, it would be something recognizable. And not something scraped off the boots of abattoir workers at the end of a shift. :sick:

:p

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
@goodeknight: THAT'S IT! I even remember the upholstery on the couches. What a wonderfual flashback! Thanks a BILLION, Goodie!:hat: Not being one to welch on a promise...if a 'virtual' $50 (non-USD funds) isn't satisfactory, then PM me your mailing address.

50Canada_Burger.jpg

Re. Cow eyeballs: Are they available at retail? Forget the egg-sticky trick, I want some eyeballs!:p

Thanks for the 50, Stoo. I must say I'm impressed by your offer to send a real one. I'm good with the virtual 50. I can probably exchange it for, like, 49 billion virtual yen or something. Then I can order a lot of lead based products from China on eBay.

As for the eyeballs, I only know one place where you can get them:

eyeballsoup.jpg

IndyBr

Here in my city (Bragança Paulista) , the best hamburguer is found in "Choppão Lanches", I tried to find some photos of the place but only found the logo (Don't know how you guys post images here):

http://www.agitobraganca.com.br/site/estabelecimentos/477/playerchoppao4.jpg

It's very good, and it's not expensive. The place is always full on thurdays, Frydays and Saturdays, normally you have to wait 10 minutes for a table.

But I'm currently living in Campinas due to college, best hamburguer in there would be Burger King I think (first time I ate there was back in 2008 when I was going to watch KOTCS, now I eat there once every three mounths or something).

Edit: Just remembered... in São Paulo I ate in a place called "Uncle Joe's Burger", it was pretty good.

Last edited:

Stoo

IndyBr said:
Here in my city (Bragança Paulista) , the best hamburguer is found in "Choppão Lanches", I tried to find some photos of the place but only found the logo (Don't know how you guys post images here):

http://www.agitobraganca.com.br/site/estabelecimentos/477/playerchoppao4.jpg

It's very good, and it's not expensive. The place is always full on thurdays, Frydays and Saturdays, normally you have to wait 10 minutes for a table.
Hi, IndyBr. Your link didn't work for me. Is Choppão Lanches an independant restaurant or is it part of a chain/franchise?
Mickiana said:
Has no one in the Americas or elsewhere heard of pineapple on a hamburger? I don't know the origins of this, I presumed it may have been American. It might be an Australian thing then! For instance we enjoy a pizza called The Hawaiian which is ham and pineapple on top of the mozzarella.

The acidic sweetness of pineapple goes well with the typical burger, but especially so when you have bacon in there too. It adds a bit of a 'tropical' flavour which is perfectly suited to a summer's lunch at the beach in my corner of the world.
Like Drifter, I know of pinapple on pizza and, as you say, it's known as The Hawaiian. A colleauge of mine used to order it often. Pineapple on a burger sounds odd but I would definitely try it, especially if bacon is involved!

Regarding its origins: I'm interested to know where the pineapple thing started. The History of the Hamburger never ceases to fascinate.:)

----
Back from a weekend roadtrip, I looked for Hesburgers in Germany to try the Finnish rye bread variant but couldn't find one.:( What I did try, in Belgium, was a chain restaurant called Quality Burger (also called Quick Burger). I ordered the double-patty Super Bacon with cheese and it was terrible! The photo on the menu was a severe case of false advertising because the patties ended up being thinner than the bacon strips! No joke.

Quality Burger? Don't think so. What a waste of ?7 ($9)!(n)

Mickiana

Stoo said:
Regarding its origins: I'm interested to know where the pineapple thing started. The History of the Hamburger never ceases to fascinate.:)

----
Back from a weekend roadtrip, I looked for Hesburgers in Germany to try the Finnish rye bread variant but couldn't find one.:( What I did try, in Belgium, was a chain restaurant called Quality Burger (also called Quick Burger). I ordered the double-patty Super Bacon with cheese and it was terrible! The photo on the menu was a severe case of false advertising because the patties ended up being thinner than the bacon strips! No joke.

Quality Burger? Don't think so. What a waste of ?7 ($9)!(n)

Prompted by your question, Stoo, I looked up what Wikipedia had to say about the origins of the hamburger. Too many possible theories to fit in here, at least claims of origins, but it summarised as German or American. I like to think that sometimes good ideas arise simultaneously in different parts of the world, or at least that good ideas spread so fast it seems like they happen at once!

But the latest historical development is something we have all witnessed in recent times: the expensive upmarket gourmet burger which usually has to be eaten on a plate with the two halves of the bread side by side and a heap of hopefully good filling on both halves.

It has its place I suppose, but I know of a small unpretentious burger joint down at the southern end of the Gold Coast that serves the good ol' traditional burger in a handful of varieties for a really decent price. All the local surfers are its main business. It's like a relic from the 70s and its great.

IndyBr

Stoo said:
Hi, IndyBr. Your link didn't work for me. Is Choppão Lanches an independant restaurant or is it part of a chain/franchise?
Hi Stoo, it's an independent restaurant, I always order hamburguers there along with my friends. Odd that the link didn't work... probably some regional law.... it works fine here. But there wasn't much to see anyway, just the logo.

The absolute best hamburger in the world comes from Green Village New Jersey.

From Green Village Packing Co. to be precise.

As the abattoir where we sent our steer and they were summarily returned in handy stackable boxes and neatly wrapped butcher paper you might say I'm a bit biased.

In my defense I can say that Green Village Packing Co provides butcher service to upscale restaurants in locals as distant as NYC and the Tri State Area for decades.

MMMM...MM!

You have yet to live amigos...

Mickiana

Rocket Surgeon said:

As the abattoir where we sent our steer and they were summarily returned in handy stackable boxes and neatly wrapped butcher paper you might say I'm a bit biased.

In my defense I can say that Green Village Packing Co provides butcher service to upscale restaurants in locals as distant as NYC and the Tri State Area for decades.

MMMM...MM!

You have yet to live amigos...

Do they deliver?

Mickiana

Montana Smith said:
You want Green Burgers? Yes, sir, we deliver to all areas.

soylent-green-poster.jpg

They can't guarantee freshness for a delivery to Down Under?!:( As for the taste of human flesh, I've yet to try it.:eek: Where's that old freezer in the back shed... I'll have to see if it's still working.:dead:

Mickiana said:
Do they deliver?
If you're willing to pay, anything is possible...I have a friend who overnights me fresh king crab from Alaska, amazing with medium rare steak, whipped potatoes, a nice lager or ten maybe a cigar and even later some midnight...

Australia might be a bit of a stretch, so if you ever get into town we'll kill a fatted calf for you, make a day or so out of it...no rings though.

Mickiana

Rocket Surgeon said:
If you're willing to pay, anything is possible...I have a friend who overnights me fresh king crab from Alaska, amazing with medium rare steak, whipped potatoes, a nice lager or ten maybe a cigar and even later some midnight...

Australia might be a bit of a stretch, so if you ever get into town we'll kill a fatted calf for you, make a day or so out of it...no rings though.

I'm not the prodigal son, but I wouldn't say "No" either! Wouldn't mind seeing the US of A sometime. It's only across the pond too. There's actually quite a few things I'd like to see in your home country.

And don't forget about kangaroo fillets. Yep, we eat our national emblems over here!

Mickiana

Talk about tasting human flesh! Still, I wouldn't mind trying that (Mammi) and other Finnish delights.

And Goodeknight, how did you lose 10 pounds in two weeks? Cos, if you did lose them, I found them!

Stoo

Mickiana said:
Prompted by your question, Stoo, I looked up what Wikipedia had to say about the origins of the hamburger. Too many possible theories to fit in here, at least claims of origins, but it summarised as German or American. I like to think that sometimes good ideas arise simultaneously in different parts of the world, or at least that good ideas spread so fast it seems like they happen at once!

But the latest historical development is something we have all witnessed in recent times: the expensive upmarket gourmet burger which usually has to be eaten on a plate with the two halves of the bread side by side and a heap of hopefully good filling on both halves.

It has its place I suppose, but I know of a small unpretentious burger joint down at the southern end of the Gold Coast that serves the good ol' traditional burger in a handful of varieties for a really decent price. All the local surfers are its main business. It's like a relic from the 70s and its great.
That place on the Gold Coast sounds right up my alley, Mickey. When I eventually make it to Oz, I want to try it out. (Just need the name & location.) You're welcome to join me for some burger-chompin' & beer-swizzlin', if you'd like.:D

Regarding the history, I meant the origins of the pineapple slice. (I'm well aware of the cloudy history of the burger, itself.)

Re. 'gourmet' burgers: They are starting to become a thing in Switzerland with some restaurants in Geneva receiving highly positive reviews from the ex-patriot community. Gonna have to give them a try and see what the hubbub is about...
IndyBr said:
Hi Stoo, it's an independent restaurant, I always order hamburguers there along with my friends. Odd that the link didn't work... probably some regional law.... it works fine here. But there wasn't much to see anyway, just the logo.
Thanks for the reply, anyway, IndyBr. One of my friends goes to Brazil a couple of times per year so I'll tell her about your favourite hamburger joint and ask her for a full report!:whip:
Rocket Surgeon said:

Now you've got me singing The Kinks - "Village Green Preservation Society" (which is a good thing, mind you.:)). But this talk about Soylent Green, coupled with Monty's vegetarianism has me also singing, "Meat is Murder", from The Smiths!

Rocket, do you have freezer space for all your homegrown, fresh beef or are you burying it underground with bucketloads of salt?:p