The Best Hamburger in the World

roundshort

That video istoo funny!

There is no such thing as Kobe beef, rather beef from the Tajimu Provance, Kobe is just the shipping point. The Breed, know as Kuroge Wagyu is raised on 262 small farms or ranches here. This is a fairly mountain and hilly region so movement is naturally restricted thus the cow does not devlope as much muscle mas as a normal grass feed cow, and has richer natural marbeling. As with all cattle, it has a period of fattening before it is processed to bring it up to optimal size. Like in all feed lots, the cows are no longer allowed to roam very far and are usually feed high carbohydrate foods. For the most part these cows are NOT feed beer, but atucally beer mash from the brewing process. They are also feed large amounts of Sake as Alcohol will turn food in sugers and fat faster.

The meat from these animals has the most intense marbeling of almost any cow, and the fat melts at a lower temperature. Hence, the beef is usually served sliced very thin, and with a very hot stone to cook the meat. You place a slice on the stone, the fat renders, the meat is barley cooked, and you have an amazing mouthful of tender flavor. It is amazing and very expensive. You can spend a few hundered dollars on a 1/2 pound.

I think Kobe is uaully a bit much, and am usually happier with a nice grain finished grass feed free range porterhouse - cooked perfectly.

fenris

Dunno about the best burger, but here's something that I've been wanting to try...

http://manilareviews.com/2010/04/biggest-burger-town-bar.html

Goodles_00007-e1270868203147.jpg

Goodles_00008-e1270868392135.jpg

But I think I'm gonna need around 4 other companions to finish this.

IndyBr

Stoo said:
---
From 6 months ago in another thread:
Does this look like the Best Hamburger in the World?:confused: (Was this thing even real?:confused:)

That thing looks like it could kill you! :dead:
Don't think I would eat something like that.

Stoo

Chicago Rib Shack!

I found another place that does AMAZING hamburgers! It was in London (Stratford) and called Chicago Rib Shack. Quite simply one of the best that I've ever tasted from a restaurant and comes extremely close as a rival to my favourite, L'Anecdote. The patty was oh-so-deliciously thick & juicy and, in my experience, danged near perfection. It was so good that I ordered another one. A+

Despite what its name implies, this is not an American chain. It's British and currently has only 3 locations in England; London, Southampton and Leeds. Their specialty is BBQ ribs but if you like burgers and happen to live nearby, you should definitely go for a bite!:D

http://www.thechicagoribshack.co.uk/locations/

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Battle of the Mafia begins...

Seems the boys down in Kansas City would be quite offended that Chicago is claiming "Ribs" as their tell-tale food fame.

Chuckle.

But I am glad you bumped this. I've been wanting a good burger of late.

The Drifter

Pale Horse said:
Seems the boys down in Kansas City would be quite offended that Chicago is claiming "Ribs" as their tell-tale food fame.

Chuckle.

But I am glad you bumped this. I've been wanting a good burger of late.

I also want a good burger. There's a place near me in Kingsport that has a decent burger. It's called Sloopy's, and there's another joint that has good home-made greasy ones. It's called The Purple Cow (can't find a website). And there's yet another place that has the most crispy, deep-fried goodness that I ever tasted, and their burgers are no different. It's within walking distance and called "Teddy's".

As for Kansas City and their ribs, they can keep them. (Their sauces are way too sweet). I like Memphis style, baby! And the Carolinas can hold their head VERY high with their vinegar and mustard-based sauces. Yummmmmm

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
From Chicago Rib Shack's website:

"What is it that makes our ribs so special? For one thing, we serve baby back ribs, not spare ribs. The reason is that they’re more tender and juicy. You might say they’re the crème de la crème of BBQ ribs.

Before we created our final recipe our founders visited 85 restaurants in 10 cities in America eating all kinds of BBQ. The best were to be found at Carsons and Bones, both in Chicago, Arthurs Bryan’s (RIP) in Kansas City and a few other good places in Miami, Denver, LA, Boston and New York."
Drifter said:
As for Kansas City and their ribs, they can keep them. (Their sauces are way too sweet).
You're making my mouth water, Drifter, but which Kansas City are you guys talking about, 'cuz there are 2 of 'em, right? The one in Kansas or the one in Missouri?:confused: (I've never been to either state.)

The Drifter

The one in Missouri. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

Different cities or states have different styles of bbq. Just to name a few; there's Kansas City style (from what I've tried the sauce they use is too sweet for my taste. Never cared for it much), Memphis dry rub, Texas with it's smoke, the Carolinas and their mustard or vinegar based bbq sauce (my favorite) and parts of Alabama even have a white BBQ sauce that's poured on their ribs!

Ever been to what we in the south call a pig-pickin', Stoo? A bunch of folk buy a whole pig and slow cook and smoke it ALL day, slowly lathering the sauce on it as it cracks and blackens. Some people make home-made baked beans, slaw, potato salad and grilled corn on the cob, That is some real eatin'!
I'm hungry now.

EDIT: Here's a look at a few local BBQ joints near me: Phil's Dream Pit and Pratt's BBQ!

Last edited:

Stoo

The Drifter said:
The one in Missouri. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

Different cities or states have different styles of bbq. Just to name a few; there's Kansas City style (from what I've tried the sauce they use is too sweet for my taste. Never cared for it much), Memphis dry rub, Texas with it's smoke, the Carolinas and their mustard or vinegar based bbq sauce (my favorite) and parts of Alabama even have a white BBQ sauce that's poured on their ribs!
---
EDIT: Here's a look at a few local BBQ joints near me: Phil's Dream Pit and Pratt's BBQ!
Those all sound lip-smackin' good to me, even the Kansas City style (although I know you like things HOT). Missouri, eh? Willie Scott must like it that way.:)

I've been to both Carolinas as a kid but can't recall having any BBQ while there.:( Would love to visit the central, southern states someday for some sampling of burgers & steaks!
The Drifter said:
Ever been to what we in the south call a pig-pickin', Stoo? A bunch of folk buy a whole pig and slow cook and smoke it ALL day, slowly lathering the sauce on it as it cracks and blackens. Some people make home-made baked beans, slaw, potato salad and grilled corn on the cob, That is some real eatin'!
I'm hungry now.
Yes, sir.(y) My mother & her boyfriend host a "pig roast" (as we call it) every year at our summer cottage in the Laurentian mountains. Tonnes of food and loads of laughs. They've been doing it for 15 years now and more & more people come each time. Last year we had over 100 guests. Fortunately, we have 2 acres of land so there was just enough room to park all the cars! Unfortunately, I'll be missing this summer's but here's a taste from 2006. (My brother likes to shoot off fireworks at night so I included a photo of his little arsenal, just for fun.)

2006_PigRoast_zpsa71c4a95.jpg

Speaking of swine: Who put "ham" in the name, "hamburger"?:confused:

Pale Horse

Staff member
KCBS Rib Reserve Grand Champion here, on more than one occasion. I know BBQ. But this is about hamburgers. :p

Unless you're all talking Carl's Jr./Hardees Pulled Pork Burger...

(this is the safest image I could find)
The-All-New-Memphis-BBQ-Burger-@-Carl%E2%80%99s-Jr..jpg

Stoo

Pearl's (North of San Francisco)

Hands down, one of the GREATEST HAMBURGERS that I've ever tasted can be found at, Pearl's Phatburgers, in the tiny village of Mill Valley, Marin County, California. (The walls were adorned with quotes from local food critics/experts. While this type of decoration is quite typical, the accolades usually mean something and this was no exception.)

A fantastic burger, beautifully & sumptuously done!(y) Crusty on the outside, pink on the inside with a perfectly toasted bun. Thick pattie but perfectly flat and easy to eat. I ordered mine with Monterey Jack cheese & bacon and personally complimented the cook after the meal. Even my girlfriend (an Italian food snob) commented on how good it was, even 2 weeks later. 'Twas a burger to remember!(y)

Apparently, there are 2 other Pearl's in San Francisco (Pearl's Deluxe). Hopefully, they are just as good as the joint in Mill Valley.

---
Upon recommendation from Inexorable Tash, I tried out Super Duper (the one on Market St.) but it wasn't as good as Pearl's. It was very tasty but much too sloppy. The pattie actually looked like a flying saucer; thick in the centre, flat on the edges! Weird...but special!

Missed opportunity:
UMAMI Burgers! (It's also a chain in some other, major U.S. cities so if anyone else feels like giving some feedback, you'd be more than welcome to do so.) Inexorable Tash & Le Saboteur both recommended Umami...Next time, dudes!

Pearl's in Mill Valley RO-O-O-O-O-O-OCKS!:gun:

Pale Horse

Staff member
13562146024_8c0137f4a6_b_d.jpg

Just chillin? with a nice Omaha Sirloin Steak Double Patty Burger with Organic backyard grown Butter Leaf Lettuce and Heirloom Tomatoes, Pepper Jack Cheese and Apple-wood Bacon and a hint of yellow mustard all on a bakery baked pretzel bun.

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
If you're ever visiting L.A. try a bar called Father's Office - they have a burger that's insanely delicious. I had one last night and instantly thought of this thread. :p

Article about the Father's Office Burger:
http://la.eater.com/archives/2013/04/19/sang_yoon_on_the_history_of_the_fathers_office_burger.php
That looks fantastically delicious, Mattzilla. Thanks for thinking of this thread.(y) The article states that they don't do substitutes or additions like ketchup. The owner explains why, and I can understand, but I ALWAYS put ketchup on my burgers. Lots of it!

That said, Father's Office looks worth a try. I haven't been to L.A. in almost 15 years but if the opportunity strikes again, I'll definitely pay that place a visit. Thanks for the recommendation!
Pale Horse said:
Just chillin? with a nice Omaha Sirloin Steak Double Patty Burger with Organic backyard grown Butter Leaf Lettuce and Heirloom Tomatoes, Pepper Jack Cheese and Apple-wood Bacon and a hint of yellow mustard all on a bakery baked pretzel bun.
The list of burger joints to check out in L.A. is growing?including your house!:p Those babies look scrumptious and I love your description. Have you ever done a triple pattie?

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Speaking of swine: Who put "ham" in the name, "hamburger"?:confused:
No one. Apparently, the name refers to the German city of Hamburg.

No, hamburger - at least in the form we know it - was not invented there. But minced meat was a rare delicacy outside Germany in the age of sail, and the most common source for it for British traders was the port town of Hamburg, which led to a steak made of minced meat getting the name, "Hamburg steak".

At some point, knowing Brits and their sandwiches, someone decided to place a Hamburg steak between two slices of bread, and lo behold, the hamburger was born.

Note that this was an early variation. History knows to tell us that modern hamburger, with the bun and accessories was first put together in the States at the turn of the previous century, but similar dishes using the Hamburg steak at its core have apparently existed at least two centuries prior.

Stoo

Finn said:
No one. Apparently, the name refers to the German city of Hamburg.
That I did not know. Everything makes sense now. Thanks for the well-written history lesson, Finn.:hat:

By the by, I'm still on the hunt for a Hesburger! (?and am also wondering about the origin of that name.)

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
(?and am also wondering about the origin of that name.)
Well, that's an easy one. The chain is named after its founder, a man called Heikki Salmela, or more specifically his nickname, "Hessu" (which is a common variation of Finnish name Heikki, in the same vein as William often becomes "Bill", Robert "Bob", and so forth).