Bacon

roundshort

qwerty said:
Is it possible to make a salad with bacon?
What is a good recipe for one?

OF COURSE! Bacon makes everything better! The best is to make a spinich salad, and use a warm dressing with a TON of bacon in it!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Paden said:
I think that it really says something about our community that we collectively have been able to sustain a discussion about bacon for just over seventy-five replies.

Now exactly what it says about us is another matter entirely. ;)

"Come on, there's nothing to fear here."

"That's what scares me."

roundshort

umuumummmmm tasty bacon burger, I know what I am having tonight! Fire upt he grill, grab some Long Meadow Ranch organic beef, a home grown tomato, some brunner farms bacon, some heinz 57, and sit back with a cheesburger, and I live in Paradise . .

"I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and French Fried Potato . .
Big Kosher Pickel and a cold draft beer.
Well, good god almighty, which way do I steer
For my Cheeseburger in paradise"

Pale Horse

Staff member
Paden said:
I think that it really says something about our community that we collectively have been able to sustain a discussion about bacon for just over seventy-five replies... ;)

But not all Bacon is bacon. That's the rub.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I thought it was the other way around, all bacon isn't Bacon with a Capital B.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I was referring to my quote earlier concerning Francis Bacon, and the cryptic immortality he has. No one took a bite of the Bacon I was offering. Dare I say:

"What's a matter, you Jewish" - Vincent Vega

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
I think Joe Brody was the first to hit the Bacon quote from Pulp Fiction, a nicley done quote Joe!

Actually, he never quoted it, just made a reference to it, you followed nicely with the follow up to the line I posted above. But why nitpick over bacon? Especially when it goes so well on a european green salad with walnuts, red onion, bleu cheese, rasberry vinaigrette, and a Sonoma Cab?

roundshort

Exactly, Bacon is not to be nitpicked, it is to be enjoyes, alot, and often. I reallyt hink if everyone had bacon everyday . . .

the wrold would be a better place, or at least a lot less crowded!

Joe Brody

VP said:
http://www.ravintolaopas.net/chicos/

Just an American restaurant in Finland, like the Chinese and French restaurants.

Checked the link. [Jokingly]No offense, but 'Chico's All American Bistro' looks more like ikea's ideal all EU Bistro (with the blue and gold screen and all the veggies). I think we're going to have start a thread to identify real American roll-up-your-sleeves joints so you have a hit-list for when-ever you make it over to the States.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Checked the link. [Jokingly]No offense, but 'Chico's All American Bistro' looks more like ikea's ideal all EU Bistro (with the blue and gold screen and all the veggies). I think we're going to have start a thread to identify real American roll-up-your-sleeves joints so you have a hit-list for when-ever you make it over to the States.

hhhmmmm . . .can y ou think of any Joe? Maybe on Rt. 22?

roundshort

The sad thing is how many of these places I have eaten! Check out the new thread. I did not use the chrome, tricked out model as a rule for a diner, as some of the best, like Triangle, etc, look more like bars!

Joe Brody

Paden said:
Here's an interesting starting place for that quest.

Paden, I think we were separated at birth.

Posted by Joe Brody on September 5, 2003 on Austin's Cafe Americain:
Here's a solid resource on Diners -- www.dinercity.com. There are other good Diner sites (like dinermusuem.org) but I like dinercity's commentary and state-by-state click-on map. Anyone here have any favorite diners -- or other diners that aren't on the list? I love them all -- from the '30's railroad car style to the sleek, big window affairs from the '50's.

Favorite: Wellsboro Diner, Wellsboro PA. (exceptionally well-preserved 1930's Diner in a town that the world has passed by).
Best Coffee (and bustle): Market Diner, 11th Avenue Manhattan New York. I don't drink coffee but the waitresses here don't always give you a choice. Arguably, this is the last true Manhattan Diner -- because of the patrons who are mainly throngs of drivers/cabbies from neighboring garages.
Best Breakfast: Zinn's Diner, North Reading PA
Best Pie: Dick's Diner, Murrysville PA (not pictured/listed)
Favorite Diner in a Movie: the diner near Poughkeepsie New York in 'Angel Heart'.