Which Wine to whine about . . .

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
When you live around vineyards (Lodi, CA), wine gets passed around like Christmas fruitcake. If you don't drink enough the bottles pile up. Whenever I dine with local Italian organizations, some old guy always makes the house wine and we don't complain because it's free. I ran the Napa Valley Marathon once, but all I drank was Calistoga water, which was also free.

So no real faves. If I had to purchase some I'd probably bring home a 5L box or a bottle of Two-Buck Chuck.

roundshort

Moedred said:
When you live around vineyards (Lodi, CA), wine gets passed around like Christmas fruitcake. If you don't drink enough the bottles pile up. Whenever I dine with local Italian organizations, some old guy always makes the house wine and we don't complain because it's free. I ran the Napa Valley Marathon once, but all I drank was Calistoga water, which was also free.

So no real faves. If I had to purchase some I'd probably bring home a 5L box or a bottle of Two-Buck Chuck.

A good friend of mine who is a Master Sommelier in Colorado owns his own wine label, with some good stuff from Australia and France, and he had a great quote, wine is a gocery, treat it as such. Buy the best, but don't waste too much time on it!

Joe Brody

Big article in the Wall Street Journal this past weekend about grocery store wine (wine-in-a-box). Interested?

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Big article in the Wall Street Journal this past weekend about grocery store wine (wine-in-a-box). Interested?

Hopefully it is about the cool Tetra-packs. I think I meet the lady who wrote that this weekend. We had 80 of the 340 Masters of Wine at the winery, with press and she was one of them. It was a long weekend but fun.

We are going backward, back to screw cap, bag in a box . . .whate is next Wine Coolers?

Joe Brody

The article was written by Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher and appeared in Fridays paper.

According to the article, I can get a bottle of Arrow Creek 2003 Merlot for $9.99. Or a Aaku 2004 Cab for $6.99 at Cost Plus.

What's wrong with that?

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
The article was written by Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher and appeared in Fridays paper.

According to the article, I can get a bottle of Arrow Creek 2003 Merlot for $9.99. Or a Aaku 2004 Cab for $6.99 at Cost Plus.

What's wrong with that?

Dorothy, that is her name, nothing is wrong with it, anything that gets people drinking wine is great! Wine is unlike beer in the sense that people always buy up, never down, unless they have no palate and can not taste, then they can always buy Paul Masson! or Charles Shaw!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
hhhmmm lets see. Zin is a good place to begin

Ravenswood Vinters Blend
. This is the base for inexpensive zin.

I had the Ravenswood 2005 Vintners blend last night again (my second bottle), and my first reaction was that is has a very smooth consistent balance to it; not overbearing or weak. The first flavor I noticed was a pronounced oak or musky texture followed by a berry aftertaste. It did not linger on the palate very long, and went down rather calm. It was complimented with an average pot roast and potatoes. (leftovers from a housewarming meal), though I didn?t let the meal come between me and a full glass of wine for the review. I reason this wine would be a perfect house red that would go well with many dishes, but doesn?t stand out particulary strong in my book.

But what do I know??I am a bourbon man. ;)

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
I had the Ravenswood 2005 Vintners blend last night again (my second bottle), and my first reaction was that is has a very smooth consistent balance to it; not overbearing or weak. The first flavor I noticed was a pronounced oak or musky texture followed by a berry aftertaste. It did not linger on the palate very long, and went down rather calm. It was complimented with an average pot roast and potatoes. (leftovers from a housewarming meal), though I didn?t let the meal come between me and a full glass of wine for the review. I reason this wine would be a perfect house red that would go well with many dishes, but doesn?t stand out particulary strong in my book.

But what do I know??I am a bourbon man. ;)

Very nice write up Pale, maybe a job in wine in your future?

Lets see Ravenswood VB Zin, should retail between $8 and $12 us, I think your write up was very fair

Deep light Garnet color, deep blueberry and dried Strawberry on the nose, a hint of spice. A little heat form the alochol and a small, but nice finish. Low Tannins and low acid make this a wine quaff with a wide range of dishes. I think a very tasty and fair wine for the price.

Now, dig around (both to find and for money to pay for) soem of the more upper end zinfandels, like Black Sears, Out Post, Turley, Chateau Potelle VGS, and compare the 2.

HovitosKing

When it comes to wine, I don't think it gets any better than Italian and California reds. My favorites are dry, oaky wines with earth tones. Italian chianti, California zins, etc. None compare to Irish whiskey, though. Jameson is my drink.

roundshort

A fine drink laddy . . .Irish Whiskey has really come into fashion latley. I have been watching the sales spike. A lot of interest in it since people are tired fo Scotch whisky, and the prices are getting crazy. I am still a Cognac man when it comes to brown liqours. Good Bourbon is always nice. The L&B guys are doing great things with Woodford Reserve, now that it isn't just Evan Williams anymore.

Pale Horse

Staff member
'alo

Stopped by the park and rode PotC last night, and found the ride was just as unrewarding as the movie. The fog element was cool, but they had to remove the best part of the ride to create it. bah!

So to perk my spirits, I went to the Napa Rose for a glass of wine.

A glass of Fanucchi 2000 old vine Russian River zinfandal. Very nice.

I tasted the Murphy-Goode zin, as well. It was also a late harvest wine and I was mildly reminded of a port, so I opted for the Fanucchi glass instead.

I really enjoyed the deep red, almost purple color of the wine, it was a tart bouquet with bold hints of chocolate and an equally sharp acidic first taste. I noticed a blackberry and peppery flavors that Adam said would typically accompany a zin. (Juan and Mickey also chatted with thanatosis and I). The alcohol was there, but I found it subtle, and the flavor filled the whole tongue. It finished strong and lasted on the palate well after the wine was down. I would say this wine probably deserved some food or appetizer to compliment it; perhaps a peppercorn sirloin, or it might have even gone well with the Louisanna red pepper pork loin I grilled Saturday night.

I would have loved to stay for the petaluma rabbit, or maybe to share in the seven deadly sins over another glass or two with thanatosis, but as this was more of an assignment, and work this morning, only a glass.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
'alo

Stopped by the park and rode PotC last night, and found the ride was just as unrewarding as the movie. The fog element was cool, but they had to remove the best part of the ride to create it. bah!

So to perk my spirits, I went to the Napa Rose for a glass of wine.

A glass of Fanucchi 2000 old vine Russian River zinfandal. Very nice.

I tasted the Murphy-Goode zin, as well. It was also a late harvest wine and I was mildly reminded of a port, so I opted for the Fanucchi glass instead.

I really enjoyed the deep red, almost purple color of the wine, it was a tart bouquet with bold hints of chocolate and an equally sharp acidic first taste. I noticed a blackberry and peppery flavors that Adam said would typically accompany a zin. (Juan and Mickey also chatted with thanatosis and I). The alcohol was there, but I found it subtle, and the flavor filled the whole tongue. It finished strong and lasted on the palate well after the wine was down. I would say this wine probably deserved some food or appetizer to compliment it; perhaps a peppercorn sirloin, or it might have even gone well with the Louisanna red pepper pork loin I grilled Saturday night.

I would have loved to stay for the petaluma rabbit, or maybe to share in the seven deadly sins over another glass or two with thanatosis, but as this was more of an assignment, and work this morning, only a glass.

Sounds like a fun night. So you are getting the basics fo zin

Big red wine, medium high to high alcohol, low acid. Deeper blue/purple color. Fruti flavors of Blueberry, strawberry, blackberry. Usually hints of pepper or other spices. The wine can see oak (higher end wines) or no oak, (more affordable wines by the glass). I am partial to Howell Mountain as it often has a neat sandlewood, menthal chacterisitic to them, they do cost more, but worth it. Medium to long finnish. Goes better with larger foods, and can be drunk by iteslf. If you like zin, other good grapes to try are Primotivo from Southern Italy, central coast syrah, aussie shirazs.

For more old old types, southern rhone red blends, from Cotes du Rhone and Chateaneauf du Pape.

Keep up the good "work"

Pale Horse

Staff member
A bit. Thanatosis and I want to catch a drink there at least once a month. A bit of a Sunday tradition, maybe. Adam was new and didn't know much more about the wines, then say: me.

roundshort

go a different direction, you've been drinking zin, one of the fruitest ofthe red grapes, now pick a grape that is a bit leaner, more acidic, red or white, what sounds interesting to you?

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
go a different direction, you've been drinking zin, one of the fruitest ofthe red grapes, now pick a grape that is a bit leaner, more acidic, red or white, what sounds interesting to you?

Not Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. A white (so thanatosis and I can share).

Edit: Adding recipie

Something that would go with THIS

roundshort

hhmmmm southwestern Enchiladeas, well Cornoa is always a good choice . . .

but I would stay away from Chardonnay, and move towards whites that are off dry. With all the spice that is in that dish, it will over power a dry wine. Pinot grigo is a good option, and make sure it is northern Italy, and not from somewhere else. I would go for a German Riesling, maybe a QMp with some sweetness. Also a nice vouvray would be nice.

roundshort

Actually, Pale Horse and anyonelese who is interested inthis thread, I just was brought a new Zin, I have never had made by Dash, from Alexander Valley. It is a really really nice wine.

Deep dark purple almost garnet, pink to the rim, stained tears, nose of dried plums, smoke,fig,dried blueberry and strawberry, vanillia and mocha. Dried spices and fruit, medium intesity, slight tannin concentration good mouth feel, some length on finnish and medium plus concentration. It hink this will cost more than a Ravenswood, but well worth it in quailty. If you are a zin guy, check this one out. it ws the 2003 vintage.

Abe Vayoda

Wow, you guys are really good at this. I don't know #### about wine, except for Watching Sideways one night... and I definately identify more with Jack, than with Miles.

How do you get good at wine tasting? Able to differentiate scents/tastes? Don't like sounding like a newb, but is there a book to read? Coming from a little town in a dry country, my access to wine is very small.

roundshort

To be honest, and I have been working with wine for a long time, thee is only one question that is important

"Do you like it?"

A good sommeliers job is to be able to understand what a customer likes and dislikes and deliver it. Not every customer wants to discover new wines, so do. So only like wines in a professional (usually a guy named Robert Parker) rates it 90 points or better on a 100 point scale (What the hell is a point anyhow?).

I like wine and have been fortunate to be exposed to a lot of wine in a to of different counrties and places. It is only after many yeas of tasting and eating that I was able to discover my own palate,a nd have had a large chunk of the wines made around the world. The best thing to do is look for a wine tasting that has a lot of different wines for you to taste (do not forget to spit) then find one or two you like. Drive to a wet county, and buy a couple of types of wine that you liked. Enjoy them with food. Don't get to hung up on what food, etc. just have fun!