Which Wine to whine about . . .

Abe Vayoda

Thanks roundshort... I guess somethings it's better to have first hand knowledge than to read a book.
There is a wine-tasting place about a days drive from where I live, I oughtta check it out one day.

roundshort

I am careful of suggesting books, because I really think the all most all make it sound to serious, it is a beverage, that gets you drunk, but there are some really fun ones for people who really want to learn about wine. For a true newbi, Michael Bonadies has a book called sip by sip. It is really well writeen, and not preachy. You can find it on amazon and buy it used for very little.

qwerty

Shorty, today I found out that I know absolutely nothing about wines.
I was at this wedding and I was talking with this girl about the wine.
And she says "You know this is not the best wine I ever tasted, actualy it is very bad"
I figured I might try it and see it for myself. I tasted it and it was good. Now this is by my standards. I thought for a second that she doesn't know much about wines and that she is wrong. Later conversation killed my theory.
I know nothing about wines.
What should I do? Am I a lost cause?
I figured I should chase after this girl untill she tells me the secret of the good wine. What do you think of this idea? :D

Pale Horse

Staff member
Help!

What is acidity in wine?!?

How the heck to you describe it (especially when compared to tannins or alcohol)

roundshort

qwerty, trust me on this one, there is one important question in wine, do you like it period. Do not worry about what others like. To learn you have to drink it, and remember what you like and don't that is how you build

Pale, acid is the second most important thing in wine after fruit. acid is what makes wine and food work together. Look at the words most food friendly wines; Champagne, riesling, pinot noir, they are all high in acid. you can feel acid in a wine by how it makes you salavate. Good sauvignon blanc, Chablis, Champagne, Pinot Noir, sangieovase, Rielsing all have high acid.

Fruit = flacor
Tannin= structure/agabilty
acid= food compatabilty

this is the most basic aspect of flavor profile in wines.

qwerty

Roundshort what is the name of the wine you make?
Do you export it and where? How is the bussiness going?
a lot of questions, isn't it?

Pale Horse

Staff member
That's where I got confused. I was doing well, tasting and all, then I read a book about pairing. (Wine with Food) and it talked about acidity. Right then my tongue lost all capability of what acid was. I pictured putting my tongue on a 9 volt battery.

roundshort

nothing like that Pale, more like food acid, in citrus etc.

In wine there are a few different types of acid Tartaric acid, Malic Acid, and Latic acid are the normal types of acid in wine. They all have a time and place in different types of wine.

qwerty I have worked on a bunch of different wines mainly in Burgundy and Napa, now I just work with one brand we produce about 6,000 cases a year and are in a lucky position to sell out very quickly. We export to London, Japan, China and to some resorts in the Islands (basicly where ever it is fun to go on vacation, we send the wine! It is wicked expensive stuff though. Fun to drink!

roundshort

Doc Savage said:
I felt rather cultured before I read this thread. Now I feel like a Philistine. Thanks, roundshort. ;)

Hey I'm just a kid form the mean streets of Pittsburgh and a Jarhead! I just figured out that working with lux. products lets your "work" also be your pleasure also.

For the record, I listen to punk, watch football, and still find the wrong places to hangout with the wrong people!

Doc, I will always say this, "Drink and eat what you like, don't let anyone tell you other wise!" I will also say, eat and drink as much as you can!

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
In wine there are a few different types of acid Tartaric acid, Malic Acid, and Latic acid are the normal types of acid in wine. They all have a time and place in different types of wine.

You are the man for your time and place. . . .

roundshort said:
Hey I'm just a kid form the mean streets of Pittsburgh and a Jarhead! I just figured out that working with lux. products lets your "work" also be your pleasure also.

Question: "Mr. Murphy, what attracts you to the leisure industry?"
Spud: "In a word: pleasure. It's like, my pleasure in other people's leisure."

Whoops, doubly wrong thread.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
You are the man for your time and place. . . .

Question: "Mr. Murphy, what attracts you to the leisure industry?"
Spud: "In a word: pleasure. It's like, my pleasure in other people's leisure."

Whoops, doubly wrong thread.

what can I say, the Dude Abides!

YOU ARE ON FIRE JOEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"No, Actually I went to Craignewton but I was worried that you wouldn't have heard of it so I put the Royal Edinburgh College instead, because they're both schools, right, and we're all in this together, and I wanted to put across the general idea rather than the details, yeah? People get all hung up on details, but what's the point? Like which school? Does it matter? Why? When? Where? Or how many O grades did I get? Could be six, could be one, but that's not important. What's important is that I am, right? That I am.

"Mr. Murphy, do you mean you lied on your application?"

"Only to get my foot inthe door. Showing initiative, right?

"You were referred here by the department of Employment. There's no need for you to get your "fut in the door", as you put it.

roundshort

Well Pale Horse asked about one of my favorite AVA (American Vitacultural Area, much like the AOC, DOC, GI, etc etc) Napa Valley, America's greatest wine making region, and the first truley great wine region in the "new world" has 14 sub regions, or AVA's in it.

Spring Mountain is one of them. It is the Steepest and wettest (although still allmost bone dry by other countires definations of rain fall). It gets its name for the many natural springs that are found in it. It is loacted from 600 to 2,600 feet above sea level in the Mayacamas Mountain range. it is a mixture of Volcanic and Sedimentery soils, which gives way to red wines that have deep color, a lot of soft tannin, lower acidity (highwer Ph), fat rich flavors. Whites can be fat to lean depending on the soils they are planted in. Originally know for their whites, this has changed int he past 20 years to one of the best areas for red wines in Napa. With Wineries like Pride, Barnett, Fisher, Cain, Marston, it is easy to see why.

DaFedora

Shirazz! and Coonawarra Chardonnay

roundshort said:
Good sauvignon blanc, Chablis, Champagne, Pinot Noir, sangieovase, Rielsing all have high acid.

Fruit = flacor
Tannin= structure/agabilty
acid= food compatabilty

this is the most basic aspect of flavor profile in wines.

I like Riesling wines too ! I heard the grapes are collected during cold seasons so that the dew is still holding onto the grapes' exterior and it gets pressed altogether - therefore the fine fresh taste.

Thanks for the details - guys we've got ourselves a connaisseur here. Hats of to ya Roundshort!

Anyways, has anyone ever drank a Shiraz??
I used to use that word for about a year or so, kinda pronounced it like a semi-Arabic sort of dirty word (don't ask me what the hell I occupy myself with sometimes), but I learnt a few weeks ago that this is actually a specific grape varient (A.O.C.) used extensively... (what an old Microsoft Wines encyclopaedia cd from '96 is good for sometimes...)
I had a great laugh over it because I used to be a little interested wine... must've picked up that funny name in my subconsciousness...

A very sweet dessert wine I drink occasionally is Montbazillac.
I think the best wine I ever drank was in Austria, a nice sparkling goldcoloured Australian Chardonnay - Coonawarra range... Gotta find a bottle of those sometime - hell I'd buy a crate full of them!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I spent much of fall gathering endorsements from local winery owners, to help elect a fellow grower who will soon represent Lodi. Chasing these guys during harvest took patience, and there was no time to taste! (There has been much toasting since.) I learned is 7 Deadly Zins is a cool name for a wine.
Speaking of climate, I found this illustration amusing:
winegrowing1.jpg

That's Napa in the background. Still a better place to visit. The only B&B I know around here has a view of a city park.

roundshort

Moe, you are correct. Zin producers take themselves the least serious of any other wine producer. One of my best friends inthe world is the wine maker for a series of very high end cali Zins called Turley, and even he is cool and not snobby. Zin wines and Aussie shiraz usually have the mst fun names.
Lodi is a neat place and I think you will see a lot more of them in the future for zin and other wines, now that they have more ava.

Ah so much wine so little time!

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Which wine to give as a goft, now THAT'S the question...

If I can't drink it for now, at least I can give it.

Give bubbles, I personally think a bottle of bubbles are the best type of wine to give.

Schramsberg (the best non-Champagne producer, and better than most Champagnes) makes a Blanc de Blanc that is KIller for around $35 or so, and trust as a guy who has a lot fo fancy wines, I am geeked when this is given to me.
Veuve (yellow label) is the standard and will cost 38 to 45 on east coast and a bit more in the US, and it is the best to give as "reconized" quailty, but most Champer drinkers agree it is a bit light and floral. I like Bollinger, "Special Cuvee" it cost a bit more but is a lot better. Stay away form "inexpesive" French Champagne, as they bank n the fact that it is French it must be better, not so!

Who do you need to buy for and what is yoru relationship, maybe I can give you some better guidelines.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
In France and other europeen countries it's forbidden to call a wine Champagne unless it comes from Champagne. But America can because after WWI the U.S senat never ratified the Treaty of Versailles (which contained a clause about Champagne)... The downfall is that the quality Champagne-like wines now made in the U.S suffer from this semi-generic appellation (Napa, Oregon...).

Anyway, I recommend the Deutz, it's pretty expensive though.

roundshort

vaxer said:
In France and other europeen countries it's forbidden to call a wine Champagne unless it comes from Champagne. But America can because after WWI the U.S senat never ratified the Treaty of Versailles (which contained a clause about Champagne)... The downfall is that the quality Champagne-like wines now made in the U.S suffer from this semi-generic appellation (Napa, Oregon...).

Anyway, I recommend the Deutz, it's pretty expensive though.

Wait a minute Frenchie, you are calling Napa a generic A.V.A (in America we don't have INAO, or things like CVIC) and if you seriously want to call Napa generic I would love to tlak about the Paris Tasting of 1976, and countles others. We never ratified it because, like all Europen counties we had a little 'bout with prohibiton, and the US government thought we would never again produce alcoholic beverages, which is why we can call our champagne and our port "port." But if you really want to talk about price to quailty . . .I will happily (and I have) put 10 of my best Napa Cab's up to 10 Bordeaux Blends any vinetage any time, in front of an international panal, and see.

But, nobody, who knows anything about wine can call Napa a generic A.V.A.

How many Million cases of generic Bordeaux coem out of, umm lets say Entre-Deux-Mers?

Why are Bordeux producers under so much stress, even with the highest priced wines ever, that are not selling? Why are top Bordeaux house having to hire Americans (yes Americans) to sell their own wine around the world . . .

hmmmm . . .