Netflix

avidfilmbuff

I'll start. At the moment I have:

Chinatown
Lawrence Olivier's version of Richard III
Fitzcarraldo

I just saw Chinatown last night and sent it back this morning, I should be expecting Steamboat Bill Jr. any day now.

So to all Netflix users, what films do you have right now?

Le Saboteur

None. I sent them all back on Saturday. Starting tomorrow though, I will have:

- Homicide: Life on the Street Season 1 & 2, Disc Three;
- Mahanagar;
- The Rules of the Game.

Chewbacca Jones

I just sent bacl "Hot Lead and Cold Feet." :eek: I had a jones for some Don Knotts, what can I say. I never thought I'd like Netflicks, but it has proven a great source for older films that I have never seen, or haven't seen since I was a kid.

Triumph of the Will (Triumph des Willens)
1934NR 108 minutes

60002291.jpg

Leni Riefenstahl's infamous propaganda film documenting the Third Reich's 1934 Nuremberg Party Rally features a cast of thousands -- including Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler, Joseph Goebbels, Rudolf Hess, Hermann Goering and other top officials. Images of cheering crowds, precision marching, military bands, banners lining Nuremberg's streets and Hitler's climactic speech illustrate with chilling clarity how Germany fell under his spell.

Cast:Adolf Hitler, Josef Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goring

This is now streaming on Netflix...VERY excited to see it. Nothing will replace going to a theater, but I really have come to love Netflix!

Secrets of the Incas is streaming now as well!

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Leni Riefenstahl's infamous propaganda film...
I saw this on a screen in a cinema class back in college. Fascinating document.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a woman behind a camera during the rally in "Last Crusade" who may (or may not) supposed to be Leni Reifenstahl?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a woman behind a camera during the rally in "Last Crusade" who may (or may not) supposed to be Leni Reifenstahl?

She might be somewhat visible, but I think she was originally supposed to get another moment of screen time, some gag about directing them to step forwards and they step backwards instead.

I've been using it a lot to catch up on television series that I really should have seen already. <I>News Radio</I>...comedy gold.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
She might be somewhat visible, but I think she was originally supposed to get another moment of screen time, some gag about directing them to step forwards and they step backwards instead.

I've read about that gag - was it filmed?

The opening is quite amazing. I was worried about it being stale after all this time, but quite the contrary I was stunned.

I really felt as though I were being taken somewhere...the clouds were remarkable. To see things as they were, and as they would want then to seem...I'm still processing it.

I've been using it a lot to catch up on television series that I really should have seen already. <I>News Radio</I>...comedy gold.

Been enjoying "30 Days" and as always, Coupling. Great to see pilot episodes of shows, and for some series, in the order they were broadcast.

Dirty bastards stream all the Columbos EXCEPT the one Spielberg directed!

Nurhachi1991 said:
Ummmm you failed to mention that Black Belt Jones and Foxy Brown are playing on instant streams!
That's what you're here for Ezal!

Nurhachi1991 said:
Who cares about these jive honky Nazis! :p Hitler had mad skills!
Quite...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The opening is quite amazing. I was worried about it being stale after all this time, but quite the contrary I was stunned.

I really felt as though I were being taken somewhere...the clouds were remarkable. To see things as they were, and as they would want then to seem...I'm still processing it.

The hypnotism generated by a bunch of evil clowns.

Nurhachi said:
Ummmm you failed to mention that Black Belt Jones and Foxy Brown are playing on instant streams!

Who cares about these jive honky Nazis!

Wrong kind of Party, 'hachi?

Nurhachi said:
Hitler had mad skills!

His party piece was doing Chaplin impressions.

sjff_03_img1003.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Dirty bastards stream all the Columbos EXCEPT the one Spielberg directed!

Oy, that does hurt. I'm pretty sure I've seen that one, though, as it turns out, years ago.

On a related note, the installment of Wagon Train that John Ford directed <I>is</I> available to stream. Season 4, Episode 9: The Colter Craven Story, including a lot of the Ford company, John Wayne and John Carradine included.

This sounds like an extraordinarily useful tool that I'm going to start keeping track of, albeit without twitter: it alerts you to when things are expiring soon on Netflix Instant.
http://twitter.com/queuenoodle#

Last edited:
Oy, that does hurt. I'm pretty sure I've seen that one, though, as it turns out, years ago.
Me too, but at a time where I never paid attention/appreciated such things as composition, movement. It'll just have to wait on the DVD queue.

Speaking of, here's my top 3 non streaming, all documentaries...

My Kid Could Paint That

Salesmen

Wordplay

On a related note, the installment of Wagon Train that John Ford directed <I>is</I> available to stream. Season 4, Episode 9: The Colter Craven Story, including a lot of the Ford company, John Wayne and John Carradine included.
Thanks for the heads up, putting it on the queue next!

This sounds like an extraordinarily useful tool that I'm going to start keeping track of, albeit without twitter: it alerts you to when things are expiring soon on Netflix Instant. http://twitter.com/queuenoodle#
Always run through my queue for notices, not much for twitter, but worth a look.

Le Saboteur

Rocket Surgeon said:
This is now streaming on Netflix...VERY excited to see it. Nothing will replace going to a theater, but I really have come to love Netflix!

You mean you don't already own it?

I've been using Netflix for about three years now, and it's definitely gotten better with their streaming service. Combine it with a Hulu account for current television, and you almost don't need cable. Taken together they have saved me from buying a few thousand bucks worth of movies and shows.

Should we combine this thread with this one?

My current top three are

Mangal Pandey: The Rising

The Libertine

Struggle on the Nile

Montana Smith said:
The hypnotism generated by a bunch of evil clowns.
I'm not even talking the rally footage...flying in above the clouds, (all symbolism aside) is amazing.

Le Saboteur said:
You mean you don't already own it?

My current top three...The Libertine
Own what?

The Libertine was a quality flick...really enjoyed seeing Jeff and Steve from Coupling "reunited."

Finally caught The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, (Men who Hate Women)...a fine sort of "Se7en" thriller and brutal.

Top three Streaming:

Inning by Inning: A Portrait of a Coach
The Munsters: Season 1
Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t!: Season 6

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm not even talking the rally footage...flying in above the clouds, (all symbolism aside) is amazing.

Yes. A masterpiece of film-making.

And down on the ground those rallies were stage managed like a rock concert. The torches, the synchronized marching Hakenkreuz formations. The fluttering banners. The whole spectacle was as hynotic as tribal drums. Or trance music. Disney learned much!

Montana Smith said:
And down on the ground those rallies were stage managed like a rock concert. The torches, the synchronized marching Hakenkreuz formations. The fluttering banners. The whole spectacle was as hynotic as tribal drums. Or trance music. Disney learned much!
The Rally itself held no more interest than the curiosity of seeing/hearing prominent party members without "filters."

Disney indeed, and in turn Lucas/Spielberg...

Is there a similar service to Netflix in the UK?

I know you have the wall/room of DVDs, would streaming service cut down on your spending or are you past the point of no return, (it wouldn't be the same with out ownership of a physical copy)?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Is there a similar service to Netflix in the UK?

I've never looked into it, because of the last part of this..

Rocket Surgeon said:
I know you have the wall/room of DVDs, would streaming service cut down on your spending or are you past the point of no return, (it wouldn't be the same with out ownership of a physical copy)?

I like having those worlds on shiny discs, arranged on shelves, and listed in a .doc, so I can remember exactly what I have.

I don't like the idea of transience, so also prefer DVD/blu rayto cinema. When they take my coin I want to keep the object I exchanged it for.

Sometimes I buy a DVD that's so awful that I sell it and get my money back. Other than that, the collection grows, and it's comforting, as with books, to know that they're sitting there waiting.

Montana Smith said:
I like having those worlds on shiny discs, arranged on shelves, and listed in a .doc, so I can remember exactly what I have.

I don't like the idea of transience, so also prefer DVD/blu rayto cinema. When they take my coin I want to keep the object I exchanged it for.

Sometimes I buy a DVD that's so awful that I sell it and get my money back. Other than that, the collection grows, and it's comforting, as with books, to know that they're sitting there waiting.
Mr Atoz! What's the count at?

Like Sabby says, it saves a lot of Do Ray Me...