Planning a Wested Order--Advice Needed

Luckylighter

Next month, I'm planning on ordering my first Wested. I'm going to go with the Raiders style, and I wanted some advice on what I should ask for, particularly the lining. I want a jacket that is a good, all around versatile jacket, not too warm, not too cold. Something that I could wear in winter, fall, early spring...you get the idea.

Also, what was the screen accurate leather for Raiders? I think is was the Authentic Brown Lambskin, but I want to be sure.

Wish me luck.

Luckylighter said:

Also, what was the screen accurate leather for Raiders? I think is was the Authentic Brown Lambskin, but I want to be sure.

yeah, that's the authentic kind even though I think it does look a bit too light depending on how the sun hits it.
As far as the lining goes, choose satin sleeves and cotton body!

You should check out COW, the forum at www.indygear.com ! They helped me a lot before I ordered my jacket. Unfortunatly, the forum has been down all day long. :-( Don't know why.

Luckylighter

QuantumGirl said:
You should check out COW, the forum at www.indygear.com ! They helped me a lot before I ordered my jacket. Unfortunatly, the forum has been down all day long. :-( Don't know why.

Thanks for the info QuantumGirl!

Yeah, I'm member over there too--haven't been back in a while though, mostly because I had plateaued for a while as far as gear collecting was concerned.

I noticed they were down, too, and I thought it was part of the redesign. I thought maybe they were going to be down for a while like the Raven was, that was why I posted here. Just in case.

Deadlock

The real place to go for detailed info on the jacket is Club Obi Wan (you can get there from the IndyGear.com site). They have all kinds of Wested maniacs over there. I'm in the same boat as you, Lucky: trying to get the facts before placing my first order. However, I will give you the "answers" (general consensus) to your questions (because I've gone looking for these answers myself).

1. Lining - Apparently, the lining doesn't greatly factor into the jacket's warmth. Most people get the cotton body (wears better than the satin) and satin sleeves (easier to slip your arms in without the jacket grabbing your shirt). I created a thread asking about insulated lining, and got told to put on a sweater.:rolleyes: In terms of warmth, apparently the leather makes the most difference. Cow is the warmest, followed by goat, followed by lamb.

2. Authenticity - Yes, apparently the Authentic Brown is the color, and lamb was the material of the original jacket. Though there is some controversy about whether the goat LOOKS more like the lamb that was used in the 80's as opposed to the lamb skin currently available. However, most COWhands seem to think that the goat is tougher than the lamb. (Which is why I'm going to go with the goat!)

blur

No; unless you are buying secondhand off eBay, or one of COWs members.

I just got mine, yesterday.

I opted for horse leather and a cotton body, cotton arms.

I note that there seems to be a lot of importance being put on 'what is screen accurate' whilst also wanting a good year-round jacket.

Lamb is the screen accurate hide (whether you get what Wested refers to the authentic colour or their dark brown colour is up to you), but take note that it's a more fragile hide and isn't going to keep you as warm in winter, as it will be pleasant in summer to wear.

So determine when you're going to wear the jacket most. If it's winter, I would rethink lamb, unless you want to buy a size too big and 'layer' under it. Also, if you're going to do slightly adventurous things (for example, even just riding a motorbike), I wouldn't trust lamb to either protect me, nor withstand harsher than normal treatment.

I chose horse, ultimately, because that's what Indy's jacket would have been made of "in real life". Lamb was simply chosen for the movies because it looks good on screen and drapes well on actors. Seriously.

Luckylighter said:

I noticed they were down, too, and I thought it was part of the redesign. I thought maybe they were going to be down for a while like the Raven was,

Oh know, I hope you're wrong! I really need all the information there to make my props. :( Anybody know when they'll be back?

blur

No... I would have thought that an outtage of this length could have perhaps been acknowledged on the title page of indygear.com, but it seems no one is capable of doing so, or can't be bothered to do so. It would be a nice gesture, however.

F

Fist23

Whats indygear and why cant I buy one thats made here in the states?

blur

Fist23 said:

Indygear.com is a website which uncovers where the pieces for an Indiana Jones costume can be sourced.

As far as buying an Indy jacket in the states goes, yes, you can buy a jacket that looks like Indy's from one of several retailers. That's not a problem.

But this thread relates to Wested Leather - run by Peter Botwright who designed and made THE ORIGINAL Indy jacket, in conunction with Harrison Ford.

If you want a REAL Indy jacket, cut from the same patterns used for Harrison Ford, you buy from Wested. And Wested is in the UK. End of story.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
QuantumGirl said:
Oh know, I hope you're wrong! I really need all the information there to make my props. :( Anybody know when they'll be back?

You can always e-mail them if you have any questions. I had questions about the Alden boots once, I e-mail and got two very interesting and helpful responses.

West

Fist23 said:

Well Wested is in England and did make the originals you see in the Indy movies, I personally don't think I'll buy anywhere else.

There are companies that make their own versions of the Indy jacket in the states. Companies like USwings or Flightsuits. All three companies have websites you can order off of and take a look at their products. Go ahead and check them out for yourself. USwings has had some issues with customer service in the recent past I've heard though, and Flightsuits is a bit more expensive. Both American companies don't do custom features like Wested offers (Flightsuits used to but recently they've decided not to for now).

blur

West said:
Both American companies don't do custom features like Wested offers (Flightsuits used to but recently they've decided not to for now).

And remember, it's not just custom "features" that Wested does... but fully custom jackets. You can tell them the measurements for your chest, waist, neck, arm... whatever else... and you get a fully customised jacket, cheaper than the knock-offs made in the US.

AND they are made from the original Indiana Jones patterns, quite often by people who made the jackets for Harrison Ford all those years ago. For the true Indy fan, buying from Wested is a no-brainer.

TombReader

I ordered my Wested a little over a month ago,and still have not received it yet.Not wanting to seem impatient,but about how long does it usually take?

Raffey

I've heard right before the fall season is one of Wested's busiest time periods. Have you tried shooting them a email regarding an update of your order?

They are pretty friendly and will probably answer your inquiries in a timely manner.

TombReader

Thanks,both of you! :)

I actually did send an e-mail and yes,Peter was very cool about it and told me that my jacket had been sent out today! :)