1908 - 1909 timeline question

OldIndy2323

Is there an "official" order for the events of 1908 and 1909? Logically, and perhaps in the minds of the people re-working the original episodes into the 2 hour movies, Young Indy would travel from Egypt to Africa to Paris to Vienna all in the span of 1908; instead of zig-zagging up and down between Europe and Africa between 1908 and 1909. Does anyone have proof that 1908 should remain Africa-free?

Lao_Che

The Ultimate Guide (2008) just uses the chronology of the original episodes rather than the re-edits.

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
...zig-zagging up and down between Europe and Africa between 1908 and 1909.
There was no zig-zagging in the original run, though. It was up to Europe then back down to Africa again...and then over to India in January 1910. It works.

OldIndy2323 said:
Does anyone have proof that 1908 should remain Africa-free?
If you mean "British East Africa", then, yes. ("Tangiers" shouldn't be in 1908, either.)

Real World:
Roosevelt was still president in 1908. His safari began in March 1909. Sure, the series fudges things here & there but Teddy couldn't possibly be jaunting around East Africa when he's supposed to be "in office". He was gone for a over a year.

Indy World:
To confuse the matter, in "Phantom Train", Indy tells Selous that he "must've been about 9 years old" when they first met. This betrays the September 1909 date somewhat because he would've turned 10 just a couple of months before. Chalk it down to a foggy memory?

The timeline of the DVDs is a mess and doesn't make sense. I always go by the originals. ;)

OldIndy2323

Thanks Stoo! I also did some historical fact-checking after I wrote the message, but thanks as always for the help. Now how about that Thanksgiving dinner table conversation?