AFA Graded figures - Overpriced or underrated?

the_three_bears

Mostly they are priced up a fair bit more than normal. But are they good value?
They of course authenticate the item, the grading is strict and they are nicely displayed in the case.
But
Do they cost too much, is there a market out there for them? Often I have seen a nice carded example sell for the same price as a graded example and sometimes a MISB will sell for more than a AFA MISB/graded.

Is it really worth getting your items graded? At all that extra cost?

FILMKRUSC

I've always thought grading is ridiculous. Most people can tell if an item is mint, average, poor and don't have to pay someone to tell them a grade.
Dealers love it as they can up the price on the item. If you want to pay more for an item then going for one that is graded is the way to go. Or just look for a mint figure yourself and save yourself some $ that you can spend on other figures/toys.

I collect Star Wars and I never pay for a graded figure/toy.
But to each his own.

mfisher

yeah... I always thought it was goofy to have someone else tell me if a figure is mint, fair etc... kinda like relying on the weatherman to tell me if it is hot outside...

The nice thing is that you have a better idea of what it will be like getting them off of eBay. I've gotten things were people have said it's in mint condition only to have it come torn or has a fold on it that you can't see in a picture. They do tend to go for more, but so be it.

TOHTER

afa graded

IMO AFA is worth the investment but only if you can score afa 85 or higher. I bought a nice looking Kenner Belloq MOC for $90 and sent it in for grading and scored an afa 90 which then sold for $510.00 six mos later. That was a lucky score but goes to show afa can increase a figures value tremendously.

the_three_bears

The question was about collecting AFA graded figures.
That's the reason I placed it in the "collecting indy" forum.
But well done anyway. :rolleyes: