new Indy Answer from Hasbro

tnswman

the following Question and Answer was posted at Yackface.com from the current Hasbro star Wars Q/A session

Q2: Now that the Indiana Jones figures have been confirmed and a few revealed at Comic-Con (which look great by the way, I'm extremely excited). Will you be accepting any questions about this line in future Q&A sessions as well?

I know it's the Star Wars Q&A, but SW and Indy have always gone hand- in-hand down through the years, and since they're being worked on by the same team, I'm hoping you'd be willing to field a few questions about this exciting new line.

IF so, let me attempt to be the first by asking whether or not the "vintage" playsets will get an update (Well of the Souls, Streets of Cairo, Map Room) as well as vehicles (German army truck w/ Ark crate). The flying wing with shredible German Mechanic would also be a cool new addition.

Finally, IF the playsets and vehicles get an update, will they utilize the molds from the vintage toys like many of the current Star Wars vehicles or would they be all new sculpts?

A2: Yes, Indy questions can be sent to the same address here, and since it's the same team bringing you the IJ excitement, we can answer. The answer to playsets is about the same as you might expect from Star Wars - It's a been a struggle so we are adopting a wait and see attitude on them and seeing where our figure/vehicle demand nets out first before going too far in the playset direction. The cargo truck is a definite probability for 3-3/4", but the wing is tough because it really is a big one. One thing that is known is that NONE of the original Indy tools exist anymore, so we will not be going back to the vintage tools.

This is indeed very interesting and actually good news for us who do not like to see any vintage molds re-used.

mfisher

why would anyone even ask for a scaled flying wing... do you have any idea as to how HUGE that would be ?!?

ChromiumBlue37

mfisher said:
why would anyone even ask for a scaled flying wing... do you have any idea as to how HUGE that would be ?!?

I'd love a Flying Wing and I think it can be done for around $34.99-49.99 by Hasbro.

Even though it's a vehicle, it would make a great playset. A line of strictly action figures will become stale to kids and collectors in no time!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ChromiumBlue37 said:
I'd love a Flying Wing and I think it can be done for around $34.99-49.99 by Hasbro.

Even though it's a vehicle, it would make a great playset. A line of strictly action figures will become stale to kids and collectors in no time!

Do playsets really cost that much? Man, am I ever out of touch.

IndySeven

the_three_bears said:
Thats fantastic news. Those vintage tools were not meant to be disturbed ;)

Rats, re-using the vintage molds would be awesome, especially for Indy fans that never got the chance to collect the originals, like me!(y)

the_three_bears

IndySeven said:
Rats, re-using the vintage molds would be awesome, especially for Indy fans that never got the chance to collect the originals, like me!(y)

I never had the chance to collect the originals at the time either as they were released in the U.S.

However I have managed to get most things on ebay.

Its never too late - just more expensive ;)

ChromiumBlue37

A good sized Flying Wing would cost something like that nowadays. I can see the Cargo Truck costing $29.99.

Even though the molds don't exist for the original playsets, something tells me that Hasbro will at least give us a new, if not smaller, Well of Souls. A Temple of Doom is also something that is just screaming to be done. The actual figure of Kali would realistically be 12 inches in height with 4 arms. Two arms outstretched, with the chain for the sacrifice cage to hold figures. Large skull in the facade between her legs for three removable Sankara Stones.

Another possibility for smaller playsets are "Deluxe figures". If anyone is familiar with Hasbro's modern Star Wars line, then you will know what i am talking about. At a ten dollar price point that can hold a small plastic base, say the Map Room, (same size as the original Kenner base), staff of Ra, journal, shoulder bag and soft goods Arab Indy figure. All of this can fit into a large bubble on a cardback. I can see this happening with

The Map Room with Arab Indy
Streets of Cairo with Molded Marion and Cairo Street Thug
Pankot Spike Room Floor With Indy
Pankot Spike Room Celing with Shortie (both sets connect)
Sir Richard's Tomb Coffin with Elsa

See the links for an example of what Hasbro can do -

sagadxyoda.asp

sw03dlxjangoks.asp

sagadxc3po.asp

sw04ultrawampa.asp
sw04ultrawampa.asp

the_three_bears

Very interesting post but your pictures cannot be viewed.
Can you fix them as I would like to see them as it seems you know what you are talking about.

the_three_bears

Okay I just copied and pasted the URL for the c-3PO.
My god if they do this for Indy figures (y)

A lot of people are talking about copying the original cardbacks, figures and playsets etc but I think they should be left well alone and this stuff is definately something I would like to see.
Why wait 25 years for an updated copy?
Bring on the new style packaging and figures to display beside the vintage line.

tnswman

sarah navarro said:
:) yay!im glad there moving on ,too bad the toys dont look very good.:(

What are you smoking? LOL! Sarah, I think you re GREAT...but I do not know what some new collector's are thinking is on the way in the range of action figures. However, This line will be what Action figure collector's have dreamed of. Action figures are not for everyone. I think that a lot of people who have issues with the figures simply do not know what to expect, therefore, they expect too much.

sarah navarro

tnswman said:
What are you smoking? LOL! Sarah, I think you re GREAT...but I do not know what some new collector's are thinking is on the way in the range of action figures. However, This line will be what Action figure collector's have dreamed of. Action figures are not for everyone. I think that a lot of people who have issues with the figures simply do not know what to expect, therefore, they expect too much.
I love the Kenner figures but I would like to see some new ones,but they dont look very hmmm...real ,they dont look like the characters (hasbro),dont get me wrong I love the old ones:)

tnswman

Real? I don't understand that thinking....No action figure line looks real in this scale. They are just representations for kids to play wit hand some of us happen to collect them. Action figures made in bulk are NOT meant to be collected, they are toys.

There will be collector's lines made. however, the Main Indy Action figure line is for play...that's why some will have action features.

I seriously think that you should go look at the Star wars figures that are made now. The look of the figures are as close as you can get with plastic. You really should not fear, the Indy figures will be DEAD on.

You are probably just wishing for something that will NEVER happen. for the figures to maintain the 3 3/4" scale, a LOT of detail must be lost. That's just the way it goes. The 12" figure from Hasbro is a cheap action figure made so that EVERY little boy and girl can have a 12" Indy without paying $80-$300 for one.

ChromiumBlue37

Updated 9/31 from Yakface.com

Q3: When can we expect to first see the Raiders wave of Indy figures and packaging? When is their expected release date?

A3: The movie release date is May 22, 2008, so expect to see the figures at least a couple weeks prior, typical form for any movie launch. We probably will not be showing any more figures or packaging until Toy Fair 2008.

My opinion is that Hasbro is STILL misunderstanding the question. We know that the Indy 4 toys based on that movie will be released a few weeks prior to the film's opening. Why would The Raiders of the Lost Ark wave be out at that same time?

ChromiumBlue37

from YakFace.com

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:21 pm Post subject: #38: The Answers 9/28/07
Q1. Will we have an opportunity, perhaps through a mail-away offer, to get the gold "Indy IV" coin? Perhaps an offer on the first wave of figures? Also Are there any plans for a Vintage-style line for Indy figures, similar to the VOTC/VTSC Star Wars line? One thing the collecting world could certainly use, is a finely-sculpted, super-articulated Indiana Jones figure!
Thanks!

A1: We think that you will be plenty pleased by the lineup of quality figures we have slated for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. We have discussed it, but right now, we don't have plans to do vintage figures. We will be focusing on some other areas our first year.

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Updated 9/31 from Yakface.com

Q3: When can we expect to first see the Raiders wave of Indy figures and packaging? When is their expected release date?

A3: The movie release date is May 22, 2008, so expect to see the figures at least a couple weeks prior, typical form for any movie launch. We probably will not be showing any more figures or packaging until Toy Fair 2008.

My opinion is that Hasbro is STILL misunderstanding the question. We know that the Indy 4 toys based on that movie will be released a few weeks prior to the film's opening. Why would The Raiders of the Lost Ark wave be out at that same time?

I agree and it is DRIVING ME MAD!!

They have to realize that we know there is a seperate line for the new movie.

This is simply absurd that they can't even get the answer right.

If they release the original trilogy figures at the same time of the new movie figures, there will be a HUGe cluster of peg-warmers from both lines.

It would simply be STUPID! They need to start the OTC by at LEAST Jan.