Shia: We botched the last Indiana Jones film

Darth Vile

Sharkey said:
Love is blind, not hope...and who said they got ANY money out of me?
If that idea makes you happy, who cares what YOU think about Indiana Jones.

So you have these views on a movie you've never even seen??? And you expect to be taken seriously?

Sharkey

Darth Vile said:
So you have these views on a movie you've never even seen??? And you expect to be taken seriously?
Two for two, first they got my money now I've never seen it. I saw Crystal Skull a couple of times, I didn't want to rush to judgment,(ahem).

I guess you still expect to be taken seriously?

Darth Vile

Sharkey said:
Two for two, first they got my money now I've never seen it. I saw Crystal Skull a couple of times, I didn't want to rush to judgment,(ahem).

I guess you still expect to be taken seriously?

So you saw it in the cinema right?

HovitosKing

The movie sucked. Harrison thought so. Shia thought so. And, contrary to what I expected prior to the movie's release, it wasn't because of Shia's acting. I hate to see the wrong person fall on the sword here, but don't hold your breath waiting on George and Steven to admit failure. This movie was written and filmed for idiots.

Last edited:

AlivePoet

HovitosKing said:
The movie sucked. Harrison thought so. Shia thought so. And, contrary to what I expected prior to the movie's release, it wasn't because of Shia's acting. I hate to see the wrong person fall on the sword here, but don't hold your breath waiting on George and Steven to admit failure. This movie was written and filmed for idiots.

My God...get over it already. If Shia is passionately apologizing to the diehard fans for something he's not responsible for, then how is there any merit to his apology? He's not falling on any sword... :rolleyes: And if he felt this strongly about the film closer to release, why didn't he come out and express his "true feelings" then? There's nothing particularly honourable or saintly about badmouthing a film two years post-release in order to beef up his current image or convince more people to believe in his current ability to no longer take part in poorly-made sequels. You're using his words to justify your stance on the film, and God knows you'd be cursing him now if he'd said something along the lines of what he's previously posited--namely, positive sentiments regarding the film's merits.

One more time--:rolleyes:

laudnergomez

AlivePoet said:
And if he felt this strongly about the film closer to release, why didn't he come out and express his "true feelings" then? There's nothing particularly honourable or saintly about badmouthing a film two years post-release in order to beef up his current image or convince more people to believe in his current ability to no longer take part in poorly-made sequels.

Amen.

Close the thread.

You know people, boo-friggin-hoo! You don't like people bashin Crystal Skull?

DON'T FRIGGIN READ IT!

Stay the hell away, and stop trying to control free speech! It's not like we're having a draw the Prophet Muhammed competition! But you want to shut it down. Go away! Shut your holes and stick your head in the sand.

friggin thought nazis

AlivePoet

^ Are you being sarcastic?

If not, I don't know to whom you are directing your comment (juvenile as it is), but you might notice that a lot of people here are not necessarily defending Crystal Skull. At least, for my part, I am trying to look at this objectively. Personal opinions aside, Shia apologized for the film two years after release, and he's not doing any of you a favour by it...yet some lap up his words as though he has provided reassurance for the negativity. He is one person who happened to be in the film...and not many put much stock into his opinions before. But suddenly, he is "honest" when he says what you want to hear. What gives? Are some of you so daft that you fall for the shallowness of Hollywood rhetoric?

AlivePoet said:
Are some of you so daft that you fall for the shallowness of Hollywood rhetoric?
As much as it may pain me to agree with "Darth" it's all out of context...

Regardless I think it's obvious to the sober poster, (read: maybe a twinge of envy right now), that I'm having an emotional outburst regarding people who feel compeled to stop other peoples conversations because they don't agree or like the topic.

Please continue to disect the "interview" and this snippet to whatever ends suit your personal taste.:hat:

AlivePoet

Rocket Surgeon said:
As much as it may pain me to agree with "Darth" it's all out of context...

Regardless I think it's obvious to the sober poster, (read: maybe a twinge of envy right now), that I'm having an emotional outburst regarding people who feel compeled to stop other peoples conversations because they don't agree or like the topic.

Please continue to disect the "interview" and this snippet to whatever ends suit your personal taste.:hat:

I'm the one dissecting? :rolleyes: Anyway, if the voice of reason happens to pipe up during a discussion geared toward lop-sided negativity, I think there's little ground to stand on demanding that it be silenced.

Gabeed

AlivePoet said:
But suddenly, he is "honest" when he says what you want to hear. What gives? Are some of you so daft that you fall for the shallowness of Hollywood rhetoric?

Keep in mind that he stated that Harrison felt the same way. His agenda may be suspect, but I don't think that means we should assume that he's lying.

AlivePoet

Gabeed said:
Keep in mind that he stated that Harrison felt the same way. His agenda may be suspect, but I don't think that means we should assume that he's lying.

I don't mean to imply that he is necessarily lying about how he/Harrison currently feels about the film, but rather that some fans tend to perk up their ears when personnel involved in the film say something that appeals to their own personal opinions. To give him more credibility now than before because his current opinion aligns with theirs is not reasonable.

Indy's brother

Gabeed said:

Lying or not, he started the interview feigning guilt about KOTCS, and trying to act like it was all his fault, and by the end he transfers the blame to Spielberg and throws him under the bus. All to gain credibility for his next sequel movies. Of course in doing so, he loses all credibility. From Jesus to Judas in 4 moves or less. Dragging Ford into it was just one more name-drop, one more sacrificial lamb he offered up in this interview to the altar of his career. Maybe being a self-serving conniving little brat is his way of proving his ability to play a wall-street slime-ball.

My comments are dripping with sarcasm to make it clear what this interview is about. If he wanted to take the blame for KOTCS to help promote Wall Street 2 or Transformers 3, ok. Why name-drop HF and SS? Well, to give his bashing of the movie (deservedly or otherwise) credibility, and eschew the same blame that he started off wearing like the emperor's new clothes.

Hmmm. I think I may have some repressed Mutt issues that I previously refused to face.

AlivePoet

Indy's brother said:
Lying or not, he started the interview feigning guilt about KOTCS, and trying to act like it was all his fault, and by the end he transfers the blame to Spielberg and throws him under the bus. All to gain credibility for his next sequel movies. Of course in doing so, he loses all credibility. From Jesus to Judas in 4 moves or less. Dragging Ford into it was just one more name-drop, one more sacrificial lamb he offered up in this interview to the altar of his career. Maybe being a self-serving conniving little brat is his way of proving his ability to play a wall-street slime-ball.

Enjoying the biblical analogies! Fitting, as the true, canonical Indiana Jones' archaeological interests are strictly religious...let there be no dissenters in relation to that!

Indy's brother said:
My comments are dripping with sarcasm to make it clear what this interview is about. If he wanted to take the blame for KOTCS to help promote Wall Street 2 or Transformers 3, ok. Why name-drop HF and SS? Well, to give his bashing of the movie (deservedly or otherwise) credibility, and eschew the same blame that he started off wearing like the emperor's new clothes.

I think he knows pretty well that his role is not the major issue in the film... therefore, his apology becomes far less genuine. He's playing the martyr role as only a Hollywood actor can.

HovitosKing

I could care less about Shia or his opinions. What I think is most telling is that Harrison Ford reportedly disliked the final product as well. And I stand by my earlier assertion, Crystal Skull was made for idiots and (apparently) foamers.

Darth Vile

HovitosKing said:
I could care less about Shia or his opinions. What I think is most telling is that Harrison Ford reportedly disliked the final product as well. And I stand by my earlier assertion, Crystal Skull was made for idiots and (apparently) foamers.

"Made for idiots" as in made for those who would automatically have an emotional investment in an Indiana Jones movie... say Indiana Jones fans? If that's the case, that includes each and every one of us here does it not? Unless you of course exclude yourself from that... and your only reason to be here is to mock those poor wretches who, on the whole, enjoy Indiana Jones movies.

What do you do for an encore, go to the Yankee stadium and pronounce judgement on those who like watching men hit a ball with a stick?

kongisking

HovitosKing said:

That was really cruel. If you didn't like a movie, then that's your fault that you can't appreciate movies for what they are. Even the movies that I hate, I at least applaud them for the effort and can usually find at least one redeeming element. Don't go insulting those who did like KOTCS. It's immature and insensitive.

Montana Smith

It was certainly a strange thing for Shia to say. It feels as though he's trying to endear himself to what he feels is the major public opinion of KOTCS: that most people hated it.

I wasn't a fan of Mutt, but regardless of that, Shia's sudden about face appear to reflect an actor's desperate need for adoration.

Gabeed

Indy's brother said:
Why name-drop HF and SS? Well, to give his bashing of the movie (deservedly or otherwise) credibility, and eschew the same blame that he started off wearing like the emperor's new clothes.

I would think that Shia name-dropping false opinions of Harrison's would elicit a quick response decrying Shia's comments, but I could easily be completely wrong.

My opinion of this whole affair is that I never gave Shia much credibility, and continued to not give him much after merely reading the title of the article--I mean, this was the same guy who was lauding the film before it came out, obviously to give it some good press. What his true opinions are, then or now, are difficult to discern.

I have to admit I'm pleased that this article came out, though. If they don't realize it already, this article will make it clear to Spielberg and Lucas that their latest Indy film was perceived as a mixed bag (a generous description, in my opinion), and they should probably go in a different direction should they make Indy 5. It's kinda like Last Crusade being the apology for Temple of Doom, though to be honest I find Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to be closest to Last Crusade in tone, so . . . maybe the American audience wants a new Temple of Doom, sans annoying characters and possibly offensive dinner scenes. :D

Indy's brother

Gabeed said:
I would think that Shia name-dropping false opinions of Harrison's would elicit a quick response decrying Shia's comments, but I could easily be completely wrong.

Oh I don't doubt for a minute that he discussed the problems with KOTCS with Ford while they were shooting it. Ford himself mentioned in a european interview that there were things in the film that he didn't agree with. All I meant is that Shia didn't need to drag Harrison into his interview to express his own opinions, dubious as they may be.