John Williams confirmed for Indy IV...

No Ticket

NoCamels said:
True. But don't they usually wait to score the movie until there is a rough cut, so there is something to write to? I don't know when filming is supposed to end, so I guess I was surprised by the thought that they might that far along by October.

I think they scored Phantom Menace around Feb./Mar. before it came out in May... so I would imagine around the same time they'll score Indy.

Michael24

Opinion of quality aside (though it's a favorite of mine), Jerry Goldsmith wrote the score to AIR FORCE ONE in just three weeks! (It was a last minute replacement for the previous score.)

sarah navarro

Michael24 said:
Opinion of quality aside (though it's a favorite of mine), Jerry Goldsmith wrote the score to AIR FORCE ONE in just three weeks! (It was a last minute replacement for the previous score.)
I love Air Force Ones score,ahhh its strong but beatiful:)

scifiwolf

I got a really good laugh out of that, mostly cause I find myself hating Danny Elfman. I don't know why - it's such a waste of energy to hate someone who will never know how you feel, but I do nonetheless. :(

scifiwolf

That's the thing, I don't really know why I don't like him. His music's not all that bad, but it does all sound the same. I think I also remember hearing a story about his being a total jerk for some movie, so I guess that sort of solidified my distaste for him.

drwynn

Michael24 said:

Goldsmith was absolutely amazing...and the score to "Air Force One" is one of his best, IMO. Jerry had three weeks to write the thing once they chucked out Randy Newman's version of the score, I believe.

Same thing happened on the first "Mission: Impossible"; Danny Elfman had about a month to replace the score once Alan Silvestri was fired.

Hard to believe Silvestri's work wasn't "up to snuff"...I would LOVE to give it a listen sometime. Anyone know if it's available anywhere?

Michael24

Yeah, Randy Newman wrote the original AIR FORCE ONE score. I have a copy and it's pretty good, particularly the action tracks, but Goldsmith's is clearly superior with a much more memorable theme.

Silvestri only recorded about 25 minutes of his score for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. It's very much a Silvestri action score, whereas Danny Elfman's is not the usual Elfman sound and is more in style with the television series. Silvestri's music for the bullet train/helicopter sequence is one of the composer's most exciting pieces, IMO. Ultimately, Silvestri recycled much of the music he had written and used it for ERASER with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I bought Newman's AFO score through screenarchives.com about 5-6 years ago, though I don't know if they still carry it. Places that used to sell bootleg film scores seem to have been dropping them in recent years. Silvestri's M:I score I got through a trade with a fellow film score collector.

Kingsley

What is John Williams doing now?
Is he perhaps looking at rough cuts from indy 4 in his computer, walking in pijama and slippers to his piano, playing some chords, writing them in a paper, walking to the kitchen, taking a milk bottle anf feeding his cat?

Is that the way to make the musical magic? I like that idea ;)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Kingsley said:
What is John Williams doing now?
Is he perhaps looking at rough cuts from indy 4 in his computer, walking in pijama and slippers to his piano, playing some chords, writing them in a paper, walking to the kitchen, taking a milk bottle anf feeding his cat?

Is that the way to make the musical magic? I like that idea ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VgCveDXZPCo

I wonder how the process has changed or not changed for him. And I hope we'll get little* glimpses of that process on DVD or ...maybe ...even earlier...

*yet larger than that featurette on the box set.

Kingsley

torao said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VgCveDXZPCo

I wonder how the process has changed or not changed for him. And I hope we'll get little* glimpses of that process on DVD or ...maybe ...even earlier...

Well, watching that video I think my idea wasn´t so far from what he can be doing in this part of the process. He is older now, and he can compose in his home intimacy... then go to a studio and take all that work to the next stage.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
First peek at the sheet music, or just a prop?
s640x480

(Scanned from the "Movies Rock" magazine supplement. It's under Spieberg's cap on Williams' piano.)

No Ticket

torao said:
And I hope we'll get little* glimpses of that process on DVD or ...maybe ...even earlier...

Like on the Indiana Jones website perhaps? lol. That would make a good video for them to add! The music gets you pumped for the film!

sarah navarro

Moedred said:
s640x480

(Scanned from the "Movies Rock" magazine supplement. It's under Spieberg's cap on Williams' piano.)
looks fakeish to me,its a bunch of triplets on both the bass and treble part.:)
Its not the Raiders march:whip:Maybe its just a prop.

Indy's Fist

Moedred said:
s640x480

Isn't that the "William Tell Overtutre"? The Lone Ranger & Indy Jones together at last!:D