"It is the destroyer of worlds"

Perhilion

Now that we have heard Spalko utter this phrase, what does it mean? It would seem that there is more to the power of Akator than psychic powers. Doomsday device? Maybe everyones' heads explode?

JerryKing

Google's image search proves that her reaction may have been somewhat exaggerated.

Dog-Fluffy_Destroyer_of_worlds.png

Adamwankenobi

Perhilion said:
Now that we have heard Spalko utter this phrase, what does it mean? It would seem that there is more to the power of Akator than psychic powers. Doomsday device? Maybe everyones' heads explode?

One word: fluoridation. ;)

Zoetrope

The Destroyer of Worlds - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Perhilion said:

Agent Spalko is referring to a Oppenheimer quote. J. Robert Oppenheimer (April 22, 1904 ? February 18, 1967) was an American theoretical physicist and Professor of Physics at the University of California, Berkeley. He is widely known for his role as the scientific director of the Manhattan Project: the World War II effort to develop the first nuclear weapons at the secret Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico. For this reason he is universally remembered as "the father of the atomic bomb".

In response to the question on his feelings about the atomic bombings, while visiting Japan in 1960 Oppenheimer said: "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

A further elaboration of the supposed Oppenheimer quote often cited is taken from Robert Jungk's 1958 "Brighter than a Thousand Suns":
If the radiance of a thousand suns
were to burst into the sky,
that would be like
the splendor of the Mighty One?
I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

Check out this video: http://www.atomicarchive.com/Movies/Movie8.shtml

Laters