Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

Dr.Jonesy

What are some tiny moments that you notice that make the film a little bit more awesome for you?

Example, mine for the first 30 minutes or so

-How "Hound Dog" gets louder and you see the Hot Rod run over the hill
-When the title goes on screen
-The shot where the Hot Rod goes off the road to avoid the truck, that shot was awesome
-The shoe tying
-Indy picking up the hat in silhouette
-The way the sky looks when Irina gets out of the car
-Indy's attitude in the warehouse
-The sound that's made when Irina cuts into the body's covering
-How Indy hits the soldier with his gun
-The way Indy looks running in between the crates
-How he jumps to Spalko's jeep and the way he scurries to the seat
-Ark showing
-How Indy swings around and kicks Dovechenko throught the glass
-The whole Nuke scene
-Mushroom cloud shot
-The plane landing and the way the light bounces off the Govt. buildings before Indy's interrogation
-The way Indy says "Yes" in the classroom
-Charlie's line about the age where life stops giving things
-Indy's gaze at Henry's photo
-The look on Indy's face when he gets on the train, like he has nothing left
-The way Mutt accelerates twice and comes through the fog, with the music coming in on que
-How he does a U-Turn. Good shot

I'll post more of my list as we go along. I just don't feel like doing the rest of my long list for the whole film at the moment.:p

Oh and by the way, :gun: Razzies:dead:

Last edited:

Dr.Sartorius

Yeah, I'd say when Indy boards the train in his gray suit is definitely one of the high points of the series. It conveyed a lot of emotion without any dialogue.

Also the grin he gives Mutt when he snatches his hat back from him after the wedding is great.

...And when Indy sleeps on the airplane with his fedora over over his face during the travel montage. Awesome homage to Temple of Doom.

The Man

Dr.Jonesy said:
-The shot where the Hot Rod goes off the road to avoid the truck, that shot was awesome
-The shoe tying

Agreed on both; fluid choreography - simple yet elegant.

the ox

"I'm sorry. I meant drop dead, comrade."

one of my favorite new INDY lines from the movie. classic!

James

-The Russian driver grinning in the sideview mirror, just after Hound Dog's instrumental break has kicked in.

-The overhead shot of Indy being thrown to the ground. He appears really old and beaten, which makes his subsequent hat retrieval that much more defiant.

-Indy not responding to being called an "old man", because he doesn't think of himself that way.

-When Mutt gets defensive about his name, the way Indy says, "Take it easy." (Just something about his combination of mild amusement and weariness.)

-Mutt's reaction after Indy is pulled into the car window- and the way he quickly swerves right to pick Indy up. It's just another day for the professor, but Mutt isn't used to this type of stuff.

-Mac asking Spalko if she wants to sing a song.

-The silhouettes in the interrogation tent.

-Spalko's respect of Indy's expertise, and the way she seems to seek his approval when providing the Portuguese word for sleep.

-As Mutt and Oxley watch out for Russians in the foreground, the way Indy quietly looks down when he first begins sinking in the sandpit.

-This film contains a monkey with a greaser haircut. (How unfortunate that the outrage over the Tarzan swinging has completely overshadowed this fact.)

-Gray-haired Indy during the ant fight.

-After the duck enters the water, the look Indy gives Oxley when he says, "It drops three times."

-The shot of everyone exiting the giant Akatorian pyramid.

-The little backpacks the aliens are wearing in the cave drawings, and the little tubes going to the back of their heads.

-Harrison Ford taking his fedora back.

dr.jones1986

-one of the Russian soldiers in the truck shaking his head as you watch the two cars racing past the truck, as if to say foolish americans...

nitzsche

Indy throwing Spalko out of the jeep.

Indy running on the rafters. Total ToD vibe.

Indy: "Sure! Great! Don't wait for me!"

Indy and Mutt both checking out the hot chick in the library.

Mac holding up four fingers when he means three.

Indy and Dovchenko tossing each other's hat over the shoulder.

Indy: "I wrote!"

Spalko's fear realizing Indy is loose and coming for the skull - and her.

Spalko's smug, proud look after kicking Mutt's butt and her devilish grin as the Russian jumps out of Indy's jeep by the cliff.

The tree - I love it.

All the shadow silhouettes in the movie, but particularly in the cave behind the waterfall.

Indy on the cliff watching the ship ascend and disappear in a flash.

Morning Bell

Man, there are so many. I could go on for hours:

The silhouette of Indy putting his fedora on in the beginning is awesome, complete with the Raiders March. What a great way to reintroduce Indy.(y)

The blowdart gag. Classic Indy moment.

The tribute to Marcus and Henry Jones, Sr. was nice and very well done.

"I like Ike."

Seeing the Ark again.

The shot of Indy watching the UFO take off. The entire scene looks amazing.

"I thought we were gonna die."
"Not yet."

The chase on the edge of the cliff looks amazing and has a great energy to it.

Indy taking his hat from Mutt at the end.

Indy's enthusiasm when trying to figure out Oxley's riddle.

StoneTriple

James said:
-This film contains a monkey with a greaser haircut. (How unfortunate that the outrage over the Tarzan swinging has completely overshadowed this fact.)

+1

I love that the monkey has a DA, and I'm sorry it's lost in the scene. The monkey's expression is perfect when he sees Mutt has one too.

Working on my "moments" list, to post later.

Wilhelm

I like the iconic shot of the lamps attracted by the magnetic force in Hangar 51 with Indy standing atop the crates.

so wah mu

The silence was deafening!

The Raiders March and it's slight hints of Mutts theme emerging right at the end credits. It sounds slightly off kilter on 1st outing, but Williams has it down to a tee.

Shame about that scene in Last Crusade though (tank and clıff) where Indy is considered finished. The hat being returned deserved more attention too!

Recall the cut bridge 'Temple of Doom' scene when he emerges with one of the sankara stones, and the flute trills, that's what made that scene as the Raiders March builds up to it's climax.

In LC That seemed to be overlooked. And should most certainly have been addressed and lent itself to that moment. A missed opportunity for sure!

So how about remastering the films with alternate soundtracks - and maybe the facility for limited editions to allow CD Rom home scoring where we can conduct the orchestration for ourselves??

oki9Sedo

The shot of the convoy turning off the main road in the opening credits - thats my favourite shot in the movie.

nitzsche

Connery's Toupe said:
The Close Encounters style shot from behing the Russian soldiers as they peer curiously, moving toward the contents of the crate.

This is pure, 100% Spielberg and one of the greatest homages to his own work ever. I love this shot.

arkfinder

For me one of the things was Mutt dipping his comb in the soft drink. Seeing how there was no gel or mouse & guy's used the sticky soda for their hair it was a nice tip from Spielberg.

TheMutt92

StoneTriple said:
+1

I love that the monkey has a DA, and I'm sorry it's lost in the scene. The monkey's expression is perfect when he sees Mutt has one too.

Really? Gonna have to check this out...

* ... unless someone is willing to post an image? I know: laziness... :rolleyes:

The Drifter

Well, I watched this again last night. And, here are the little things that I seen and loved. These may have already been said.

-The soft playing of the Indy theme, when we see Indy's shadow put the fedora on in front of the car.

-How Mac screams "You don't know him! You don't know him!" when Indy and the Russian are playing chicken in the warehouse.

-How the nun stands at the doorway to Ox's room at the asylum. It's as if she's afraid of Indy and Mutt messing with something.

-The way Mutt dips his comb into Joe College's soft drink.

-How Indy's fridge flies over the Russian's escaping car.

-The painting of Marcus in the hallway outside Indy's classroom.

-I <b>LOVE</b> Indy's grey fedora when he boards the train.

-When the Russian spies push the train conductor against the train, and a few seconds later Mutt almost runs over him.

-The use of the second version of the Wilhelm scream when the US Soldiers get shot at the beginning of the movie.

-When Indy takes his fedora off and clutches it against his heart before the last waterfall.

-When Marion says "I thought we were gonna die!" and Indy replies with "Not yet!" and kicks the Russian.

-The whole scene of Indy watching Akator be flooded and the space**** fly away.

-And of course the ending. When I first seen the fedora fly to Mutt's feet, I was getting angry. I loved how Indy grabbed it from him, and looked back and smirked.