Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

DiscoLad

JP Jones said:
I've seen bad movies, but how in the F*** can a movie make you angry? And why would you think that you have to let anger out? I'd prefer you just don't watch it if you don't like it rather than venting about a damn movie for everyone else to see.

Maybe the silly face would have shown my sarcasm better... :/

I was joking, my friend.

Merely disagree with some parts. Not psychotic rage...

Mickiana

Some movies have made me angry, not at the move per se, but at the issues portrayed in the movie.

I can't think of any little things that made CS 'awesome'. Two prominent things that I did like were Indiana Jones and the John Williams score.

Dr.Jonesy

mattzilla2010 said:
Well, it's been 30 years since Raiders came out and we still gush about everything we like from that. If people don't like Kingdom, they have a right to complain about everything they don't like, especially after only 3.

But it is probably out of place in a thread called "Little things that make KOTCS awesome...."

I know they have the right, I'm just questioning the logic. I don't like the Queen+Paul Rodgers tour, but I don't complain endlessly on a Queen message board about it. I simply listen to Queen's records and watch old footage, and avoid raining on everyone's parade who may enjoy the Paul Rodgers tour.

Ranting after 3 years is beyond sad.

And it's very out of place on this thread...

Darth Vile

Dr.Jonesy said:
I know they have the right, I'm just questioning the logic. I don't like the Queen+Paul Rodgers tour, but I don't complain endlessly on a Queen message board about it. I simply listen to Queen's records and watch old footage, and avoid raining on everyone's parade who may enjoy the Paul Rodgers tour.

Good analogy... :)

kongisking

Dr.Jonesy said:

Absolutely right. :hat:

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:

Some of us aren't ranting, we're working out issues. What's the point of a fourm if you don't discuss the good and the bad? In any case, opinions change over time. They're not set in stone - at least not mine.

Darth Vile

Mickiana said:
Some are still ranting that it was awesome after three years.

To be fair (and I'm not sure how many active members there are here); there seems to be very few (to zero) 'ranters' here now. As Montana states, most active forum members will just talk about the good/bad elements and re-enforce their views one way or another... I think those that hate the movie with a passion probably stay away, those that love it have nothing more to say, and those that find it flawed or are indifferent to it are probably still willing to discuss its merits/shortfalls... because it is, after all, an Indiana Jones movie. :D

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
To be fair (and I'm not sure how many active members there are here); there seems to be very few (to zero) 'ranters' here now. As Montana states, most active forum members will just talk about the good/bad elements and re-enforce their views one way or another... I think those that hate the movie with a passion probably stay away, those that love it have nothing more to say, and those that find it flawed or are indifferent to it are probably still willing to discuss its merits/shortfalls... because it is, after all, an Indiana Jones movie. :D

The last person that came here with real venom against KOTCS didn't stop long, and said they were reiterating the same statements made by a member long since gone. In fact, both members were so alike that you could make the mistake of believing them to be the same.

Since I can't dismiss the movie, as it's an official release and part of Indy canon, I have to admit its merits, but it doesn't end the frustration that so many things could have been done differently, or more thoughtfully.

I have an in-built aversion to the term "awesome". The word has been downgraded through misuse, so that it becomes part of common speech, so that a bag of chips might be described as tasting "awesome". I didn't find the movie "awe-inspiring", though it does have some "great" moments.

To me "awesome" implies something that leaves you in a state of shock, or awe. Something maybe from the natural world, which could either be terrible or beautiful, which would leave you speechless or with a thousand yard stare. Films aren't like that, at least not for me. They can move you, but they can still be dissected.

This thread title states that KOTCS is awesome. If so, then there's nothing more to say, because the viewer is struck dumb through wonder! :p

I think there's always things to say, for and against, with any movie. Little things that spark your imagination, or little things you wish had been done instead.

Mickiana

I was only implying that ranting can happen on both sides. There has actually been very little ranting done either way. I just didn't want 'ranting' as something only dislikers did. I don't mind a good rant every now and again, mind you. A really good rant has a purgative effect and can be good for one's constitution. Too much of course can sap one's vitality and leave you in a weakened state.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I was only implying that ranting can happen on both sides. There has actually been very little ranting done either way. I just didn't want 'ranting' as something only dislikers did.

Yes, most members here take a balanced view.

Mickiana said:
I don't mind a good rant every now and again, mind you. A really good rant has a purgative effect and can be good for one's constitution. Too much of course can sap one's vitality and leave you in a weakened state.

Don't let yourself get caught ranting!

2iiamc1.gif

kongisking

Montana Smith said:

You should see me when I'm in a Kong mood, or an Amy Adams mood, or a Peter Jackson mood, or a Hellboy mood, or...you get the idea. :p

mattzilla2010 said:
If people don't like Kingdom, they have a right to complain about everything they don't like, especially after only 3.

I agree with this, up to a point. People have all the right in the world to hate something, I guess, but where I draw the line is when haters insist that the Pro-KOTCSers are, at the least, "mentally challenged" or worse. Do I go around calling people who loved Transformers 2, a film I despised for many reasons, wastes of human life? I may not agree with them, but I do not begrudge them for their enjoyment of said film. I don't try to ruin it for them by making them feel bad about liking it. In fact, I envy people who love films I hate, because they were able to find pros that I could not, that made the experience good for them.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I didn't find the movie "awe-inspiring", though it does have some "great" moments.

That's a very pragmatic way of looking at it Montana... and it pretty much sums up my view i.e. KOTCS may not be a great Indy movie, but it has some great moments. :D

mattzilla2010

kongisking said:
I agree with this, up to a point. People have all the right in the world to hate something, I guess, but where I draw the line is when haters insist that the Pro-KOTCSers are, at the least, "mentally challenged" or worse. Do I go around calling people who loved Transformers 2, a film I despised for many reasons, wastes of human life? I may not agree with them, but I do not begrudge them for their enjoyment of said film. I don't try to ruin it for them by making them feel bad about liking it. In fact, I envy people who love films I hate, because they were able to find pros that I could not, that made the experience good for them.

Oh yes, I completely agree. Disliking the film is one thing, insulting those who do like it is something else entirely. I like it (KOTCS, not Transformers 2 :sick: ) and would not take to being called "mentally challenged" very well.

DiscoLad

IndyJones5183 said:
and the diner scenes.:whip:

Yea I think we can all agree the diner scene was excellent.

Anyway, I was just listening to Raiders March on the "ost" of KoTCS.
When it got to the part where they messed it up and put the different ending, the ending was normal. But I'm pretty sure it's the right movie song because I can hear the KoTCS-ish sound in it...

You think they went back later and were like "Omg man we gotta change this back." or what.
Not that I'm complaining, it should stay as is in this version. :D

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Yes, most members here take a balanced view.

Yes, I am one of those types. I like the movie overall, but can see it's faults clearly. I enjoy reading other people's opinion on it unless they blindly hate it or love it. Some people won't listen to other people's take on it regardless of what side of the fence that they are on.

Montana Smith said:

2iiamc1.gif

Hah, I love that gif! I've always wondered what that guy is seeing that make him act that way!

mattzilla2010

DiscoLad said:
Anyway, I was just listening to Raiders March on the "ost" of KoTCS.
When it got to the part where they messed it up and put the different ending, the ending was normal. But I'm pretty sure it's the right movie song because I can hear the KoTCS-ish sound in it...

You think they went back later and were like "Omg man we gotta change this back." or what.
Not that I'm complaining, it should stay as is in this version. :D

Haha, the "messed up" version is in the track called Finale, which contains the entire end credits music.

DiscoLad

Seeing gear post reminds me,

Gear don't you have a picture in the ugly mugs thread that looks like that guy? It looks familiar ... But I can't quite remember who that looks like. Gear just pops into mind. ... :eek:

To Matt:
Oh so I was just listening to the regular theme. . . Dang I thought they had replaced it. :D