Will he put the whip away?

Johan

I was thinking about this the other day. If Indy is going to be an older charachter in Indy 4 will he be using the whip? Or will we see it on the wall of his house as a decoration?
Will he be wearing the same type of clothing (besides the hat of course)? I ask this because are YOU wearing the same clothes you wore 20-30 years ago (assuming Indy 4 is in the 50's or 60's)?

Finn

Staff member
Dunno. Could be an interesting touch, though... it's hard to think Indiana Jones adventuring without his trademark piece of equipment.

IAdventurer01

temple of john said:
hE BARELY USED THE WHIP IN lc BUT...i WOULD THINK THAT IF THIS IS THE LAST iNDY, THEY WOULD ALLOW HIM A FEW CRACKS WITH HIS TRUSTY WHIP.

OUCH! Capslock, temple... CAPSLOCK! :whip:

Personally, I don't think Indy would be comfortable without his whip. Using it aside, it's kind of a good-luck charm, especially if you read some of the novels...
...not that Indy's luck is all that great with it anyway. :p

Chris Jones

Yea, it wouldn't be the same, and you never know Indy 4 might not be the last if it does well and Harrison doesn't get very old very fast after they make it. I hope to see Indy's hat and whip even if it is just on him and he doesn't use it much in the movie. And his clothing or something like it. I don't want him to change too much.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It wouldn't be the same without the iconic clothes and equipment. So, I'm all for seeing him in theat gear for nostalgic purposes.

Indy's Trademark is his hat....

The whip is mostly just a gag.... "What are you, some kind of lion tamer?"

I suspect the whip could go, and it would only impact the character positively....

Johan

ClintonHammond said:
Indy's Trademark is his hat....

The whip is mostly just a gag.... "What are you, some kind of lion tamer?"

I suspect the whip could go, and it would only impact the character positively....

I have thought about what he say's in the books however. He say's its his lucky charm...so maybe if we see it hanging on the wall we know his luck has run out!! And the fourth movie could show us the death of Indy.

Johan

moondrifter said:
Indy can't die............unless the grail is in fact just a carpenter's cup:rolleyes:

There was huge thread on this once... I think ONE of the conclusions was that there is only eternal life before you pass the seal

IndyBuff

IndyJohan said:
There was huge thread on this once... I think ONE of the conclusions was that there is only eternal life before you pass the seal

That was always my way of thinking too. They crossed the seal and therefore they may not have eternal life anymore. Plus, they can't kill Indy because he shows up later as an old man in the YIJC tv show.

I think the whip is a unique Indy trademark and I seriously doubt they'll go without it. I know I would certainly like to see it in Indy IV.:whip:

Gustav

There is absolutely no way they are going to get rid of the whip. I don't see how it would positively impact him either. I'm sure the costume will stay the same as in the other films. The hat may change very slightly or he may have a tie on in some scenes or the jacket may be an inch longer, but they won't make a change bigger than that. To me, neither the whip nor the hat is more of a trademark than the other. He even got them both on the same day. I always thought of the entire getup as his trademark. It wouldn't look right if anything was missing. I can see why some people consider his hat the trademark though. It does get more screen time. But the whip is more distinguishing.
And what if they did kill Indiana Jones? That's quite a decision to make. If they do I think they should have him give the hat to another person in the same way it was given to him or even if he just retired.

seasider

Indy isn't gonna die in the 4th movie. If so then that would throw off the continuity of the Young Indiana Jones series which shows Indy as an old geezer with an eye patch in the present day. However, he may lose his eye in this movie.