Is Harrison Ford a faded star?

Raiders90

If Harry was an A-list star in the 80s and 90s, up till around 2000, what is he now? Would he still be considered an "A-lister" just because he's Harrison Ford? If I remember correctly, at one time Harry was the highest grossing actor of all time...

Deadlock

Harrison Ford needs to acknowledge and embrace his age. He needs to stop letting Liam Neeson take all the "active 'old' man" roles.

Ultimately, I think he should seek out the path of Clint Eastwood. All Harrison needs is his own "Unforgiven" and he's back.

Indy's brother

Deadlock said:
He needs to stop letting Liam Neeson take all the "active 'old' man" roles.

Ultimately, I think he should seek out the path of Clint Eastwood. All Harrison needs is his own "Unforgiven" and he's back.

Perfect.

Deadlock said:
Harrison Ford needs to acknowledge and embrace his age.

Needs clarification.

Deadlock

What I mean is: Harrison should stop trying to play roles like he did in the 90s. I'm neither in favor of going the Danny Glover "I'm too old for this sh**" route or going toe-to-toe with Stallone and Willis for the over-the-hill action star crown.

There are roles for older, American male characters. He needs to move into the roles that Tommy Lee Jones and Liam Neeson have owned for years now. Heck, maybe a try for a piece of the Donald Sutherland pie?

Stoo

Deadlock said:
There are roles for older, American male characters. He needs to move into the roles that Tommy Lee Jones and Liam Neeson have owned for years now. Heck, maybe a try for a piece of the Donald Sutherland pie?
Deadlock, in case you didn't know, Donald Sutherland is NOT American! He is a Canadian (and still has a a house just east of Montreal).
Raiders112390 said:
If I remember correctly, at one time Harry was the highest grossing actor of all time...
How can you "remember" that Harrison's prime was back when before you were born?:confused:

Deadlock

Stoo said:
Deadlock, in case you didn't know, Donald Sutherland is NOT American!

And neither is Liam Neeson...

But I said "American male character". The actor's nationality doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Well his star is fading, but he's not a faded star.

I agree with Deadlock.

In fact, I think these should be the next three films to consider for the reprise of the mature HF:

1) Slaughterhouse Five: Directed by Terry Gilliam
2) Vertigo: Directed by Christopher Nolan

and last but not least

3) Duel: Directed by David Fincher, starring Harry as the Truck Driver

Deadlock

I'm not sure where the blame is... Harrison's lack of drive or a really bad agent. :)

Honestly, I think Cowboys vs Aliens was a potential sign of him turning things around. Pale, I don't follow what's in development very closely... but I think your suggestions are good ones. I'm not saying he needs to hang up the action for good, but yes, some more mature roles are needed.

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Deadlock, in case you didn't know, Donald Sutherland is NOT American! He is a Canadian (and still has a a house just east of Montreal).
How can you "remember" that Harrison's prime was back when before you were born?:confused:

I remember READING that Harrison was the highest grossing star of all time. Please stop stalking me or I will report every post you make in response to me.

Pale Horse

Staff member
For the Record

Samuel L.Jackson holds the title of biggest Box Office Gross Star. Just sayin'.

Pale, I don't follow what's in development very closely... but I think your suggestions are good ones

Armchair Hollywood Agent here. Just musing what would be glorious. No one in Hollywood would dare to try my suggestions...

Like, who would ever revisit Ferris?

Stoo

Deadlock said:
And neither is Liam Neeson...

But I said "American male character". The actor's nationality doesn't matter.
O.K. Gotcha. While Donald Sutherland is still a famous actor, is he now (or was he ever) a box-office draw?:confused: Apart from a couple of films, he has never really been the main man. Looking back, Sutherland has played a wider range of characters than H.Ford ever did. Harrison has been pretty much typecast in the past with only a small, handful of roles that allowed him to stretch his limited acting abilities (Ex. "Heroes" from 1977).
Pale Horse said:
In fact, I think these should be the next three films to consider for the reprise of the mature HF:

1) Slaughterhouse Five: Directed by Terry Gilliam
FANTASTIC suggestion, Paley...but who could Harry play? In drag and fake boobs as MONTANA WILDHACK?:confused:
Raiders112390 said:
I remember READING that Harrison was the highest grossing star of all time.
Good for you. As Pale Horse put it, Harrison's "star is fading but he's not a faded star". His day in the sun has passed but he's not a forgotten celebrity (like some of his contemporaries have become). Movie stars ebb & flow all the time. Even so, what's the concern? Why worry about it?:confused:

The last Harrison Ford movie I went to see in the theatres, simply because he was involved, was "Sabrina" in the mid-'90s! ("Crystal Skull" excluded, of course).

My mother has a crush on Harrison Ford but she won't run out to the the theatre for every movie he makes.
Raiders112390 said:
Please stop stalking me or I will report every post you make in response to me.
Go ahead, Raiders112390. For the umpteenth time, I'm not stalking you nor trying to get rid of you.:whip:

Joe Brody

Faded Star? My understanding is that the guy doesn't much like acting -- so my thinking is all he's interested in is earning enough scratch to keep fuel in the helicopter and to take Calista to Outback every Saturday night. In other words, he'll stay in his comfort zone, and I doubt even a Tarentino will search Ford out to jump start his final phase. And I'm fine with that. Last thing I want to do is watch some later day Little Ms. Sunshine and have Harrison playing the perverted grandfather. I'm content to let Ford/Deckard fly off with Calista/Rachel . . . .

Montana Smith

Han Solo was eventually old and married with children.

Princess Leia was once a hot babe in a metal bikini.

Chewbacca used to be alive.

Indiana Jones used to be young and fit.

Stars rise and fall in popularity. Their age dictates their roles.

Sh!t happens.

What can you do?

Accept, adapt or move forwards.

Raiders90

It's just there's some actors who are still like, "big" even into old age, for a major "off the top of my head" example, like John Wayne. From what I've read Wayne was still making good grossing films until he died. I always saw Harrison as sort of our era's John Wayne or Bogart, as in, always saw him in that same sort of "old fashioned leading man" vein.

I've been a critic of Ford's acting but on reflection it's more the roles he picks than his actual talent. Ford came up during the era where all the big stars (Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman, Brando, etc) were intense method actors, and Ford was like a refreshing throwback to simpler times.

Of course, all stars must fade eventually, I suppose, but I am a fan of Ford and do wish he was still big like he was in the '90s. I remember when I was a kid, if there was a "King of Hollywood", Harrison was it, IMO. He personified the "man's man" for me growing up. I even love a film of his most hate--Six Days Seven Nights. I just wish, even if he can't be a big star again, that he'd pick better material. He had a string of winners for over 20 years.

Djd1

Harrison's problem is his choice of roles. I mean seriously, when was the last really good one he picked? The Fugitive? Airforce One was ok and Firewall was just watchable... For a man with his potential box office draw he's made some shocking choices- not that his bank balance will be bad but when in 30 years someone's settling down to watch a Harrison Ford retrospective they won't have to look much further than the Indy films, Star Wars, Bladerunner and The Fugitive.

Grizzlor

Ford always seems to be cast in Fugitive/Air Force One type roles. Has he forgotten he did Sabrina and Regarding Henry as well?