i see that todds has a new indy hat.....

indyclone25

its called the coyles downtowner fedora --- does anyone know much about it i mean its cost 99 bucks but does it have the raiders look to it or does it have the dorfman look? you know what i mean ? if you have one or know anything let me know -- i mean the pic on the site looks like the raiders cut and style --- but it also says that it is a todds exclusive ---- hmmmmm thanks, Mark

Last edited:

indyclone25

well i ordered the downtowner fedora from todds costumes this morning, should have it with a weeks time, on the site it looks very nice , i have heard it will be a bit stiff but if looks more indiana jones than my dorfman i'll be happier, when i get it i will post pics of it ,

indyclone25

well i got my hat today but it arrived late around 5 pm central time --- will post better pics tomorrow but here is a quick webcam pic or two
Picture3.jpg

Picture1.jpg

DocWhiskey

That looks quite cool, indyclone. And it's pretty much in my price range. Is it durable? I mean, the thing won't be garbage if it gets rained on a little will it? I'm looking for an affordable Indy fedora that could take some adventuring.

indyclone25

yes i do like it --- the crown looks kinda tall but it is 5 inches high , and i guess that was suppose to be the height of the fedoras used in the movies i like the color it is a dark brown , which most likely will lighten when used enough,it is a stiff hat much like the dorfman hats , speaking of which --- i am posting pics of the downtowner next to my dorfman so you may see the differences. all in all i am very pleased with the hat. great hat for the price !
newindyhat007.jpg

newindyhat009.jpg

not the best pic since it was taken at arms length, will have to get pics taken by someone else to get a better view of the hat
newindyhat011.jpg

Very cool, if you flaten the top you'll get less "taper" at the top and a more stovepipe look. Plus it will shorten the crown! It looks better then the other in color and material to play with/shape.

What was the damage to the wallet, if you don't mind answering?

indyclone25

i guess i will give my review on the hat
1. nice brown color( alittle dark for my taste) but i'm sur it will lighten given time
2.crown is a bit long looking, but it measure from ribbon to top of the hat 5 inches ( maybe because of having a dorfman for a year which is only 3 inches or so maybe thats why i think it looks so long) which is suppose to be screen accurate
3. the bash is awesome , much better than the dorfman
4.it is stiff like the dorfman which means it will hold its shape for a long time , my dorfman still holds it shape well after being rained on and used during the winter months here in chicago.
so after all that the hat does reach all my expectations overall rating out of 5 stars - i would give it 4.25 stars for long looking crown and darker color , but other than that i think it will be a hat i will wear for a very long time .

indyclone25

todds now has a new uptowner hat that is very nice i ordered one, only 149.99 and when i get it in i will post some pics and give a review on it:D

indyclone25

just got the uptowner and its looks fabulous !!!!

the hat uptowntowner is on the left and the downtowner is on the right
newuptowner004.jpg

newuptowner002.jpg

newuptowner012.jpg

can't wait to take pics with it in my gear--- its a bit smaller in the crown and is softer , not a stiff as the downtowner is ( the downtowner is stiff like the dorfman hats ) easy to adjust and fix

Looks awesome Indyclone25! Which do you like better...both are beautiful fedoras...I love how the brim curls on the downtowner...but I like the hight on the uptowner....both are wonderful! I am contemplating on getting one (esp. cause of the price) or I'm planning on forking over some big buck, and getting a Henry from Penman...I would love for you to post more pics...I love these types of threads!!!:gun:

indyclone25

well the uptowner is very soft and not as stiff as the downtowner as i was told by todd when i ordered my downtownerr in feb of this year i was one of the first to get it , and that the downtoners are more in line in crown height with the uptowner now,back then they were built a bit to high , he said i could get mine fixed for free but i think i will keep my downtowner the way it is ?i will try to post more pics as soon as possible ---all i have left from day one shots are these
newuptowner005.jpg

newuptowner007.jpg

newuptowner006.jpg

Excellent pics Indyclone!! I am deeply considering buying one...I just cannot decide:( I really like the Uptowner....I love how it looks, but the Downtowner, although it may be stiff, it has a streets of cairo look to it, esp. the brim and how it curls...the only thing I may have againts it, if the stiffness and the height of the crown, but you said Todd has made some alters on it, and the crown is now shorter and closer to the Uptowner....I am really at a crossroads here, I cannot choose, lol...please, help me, if you could....which would you rather choose if you had to all over again. Thanks!:whip:

-IndyFan4Ever

indyclone25

well if i could i definetly would get the downtowner with a smaller crown --- the downtowner was one of the first sold by todd and he said "Indyclone,

Glad you like the hat! I wanted to mention that we have been reblocking the Downtowners to bring the shape much closer to the Uptowners. You have one of the first ones that was not reblocked.Yes, I'd like both hats to conform to the on screen Raiders hat specs. The factory who makes our Downtowners for us didn't quite capture what we wanted. They are now making us new molds based on a much more detailed "blueprint" which I've provided. In the meantime, we are steaming the crowns on our own blocks to reduce them to the size of the Uptowner, which to me, has very good Raiders proportions.

and that is from todd himself --- so if you like the stiff feel of the downtowner and the 99 dollar price point it will be the best choice , but if you want the more looser feel then the uptowner is your choice , i like both of my hats for different reasons the downtowner really looks good on me and has that SoC look to it but the uptowner has more the feel to raiders or even last crusade.:D either way you win with todds .