Star Wars: The Force Awakens

kongisking

Honestly, I'd love for that to be the subtitle. I like the deliberate echo of A New Hope. Plus, it keeps with the subtitle tradition they got going:

The Phantom Menace/A New Hope: both about abstract concepts yet to be fully realized.

Attack of the Clones/The Empire Strikes Back: both emphasizing offense and battle.

Revenge of the Sith/Return of the Jedi: both referring to the long-awaited endgame of a trilogy-long plan.

Just because I like consistency, I'd love for this trend to continue.

Montana Smith

A New Dawn?

More like Star Wars: Twilight (or The Expendables) as a bunch of elderly actors return to reprise their roles from 30 years ago.

In which we will discover that Jedi age just as badly as the Sith.

They're really all too old now to tell the story that should have been Episode VII.

Lucas butchered the Star Wars legacy with I-III. Should have spent his time making VII-IX instead, and left the first three to last, since anyone could have played those roles. And by now somebody more in touch with Lucas' own story would be around to do justice to the prequels.

Montana Smith said:
A New Dawn?

More like Star Wars: Twilight (or The Expendables) as a bunch of elderly actors return to reprise their roles from 30 years ago.

In which we will discover that Jedi age just as badly as the Sith.

They're really all too old now to tell the story that should have been Episode VII.

Lucas butchered the Star Wars legacy with I-III. Should have spent his time making VII-IX instead, and left the first three to last, since anyone could have played those roles. And by now somebody more in touch with Lucas' own story would be around to do justice to the prequels.

yes i agree, he should have done 7 to 9 instead, in 99 we would have got a much younger han solo and luke. harry is going to be 72 next year, wanted to see a younger Han solo then that.

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:
It was the title of the Star Trek show starring Patrick Stewart.

New Dawn?

I lost the plot earlier but I thought the link went to a site suggesting New Dawn, rather than Next Generation.

The latter sounds like an Australian soap opera, which is about as exciting and engaging as Star Trek: Next Generation ever got.

It would be an awful choice for a Star Wars film any way.

New Dawn has connotations of Breaking Dawn/Wind. So that's not good. Also it would be simple for headlines to read New Dawn of the Dead in reference to the age and appearance of the original actors.

On that front poor old Peter Mayhew, who's always suffered from his height, has just has both his knees replaced.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I lost the plot earlier but I thought the link went to a site suggesting New Dawn, rather than Next Generation.
Message board conventions: If there's no quote within the post, the assumption is that the comment refers to the post immediately above. Which in this case, was referring solely to the Next Generation.

Intentionally misunderstood? P'haps.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Message board conventions: If there's no quote within the post, the assumption is that the comment refers to the post immediately above. Which in this case, was referring solely to the Next Generation.

Ah.

Finn said:
Intentionally misunderstood? P'haps.

I wouldn't put it past you, Finny old boy. :D

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
New Dawn has connotations of Breaking Dawn/Wind. So that's not good.

Hold on a minute. Just because a Twilight story used a single noun as part of a title, now that word should never be used if possible, no matter how fitting it might be for a project? What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

I didn't think of Twilight once when I learned the title of the next Planet of the Apes movie: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

*currently wishing there was a facepalm smilie*

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Hold on a minute. Just because a Twilight story used a single noun as part of a title, now that word should never be used if possible, no matter how fitting it might be for a project? What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

I didn't think of Twilight once when I learned the title of the next Planet of the Apes movie: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

*currently wishing there was a facepalm smilie*

It's the second word of a two-word subtitle. Dawn of the Dead wouldn't have the same problem. Everything 'something Dawn' brings Twilight to the fore in my mind. I don't even know what Twilight is, but there's a bad smell surrounding it so I don't have the stomach to go near it.

Montana Smith

The other problem, of course, is that New Dawn or Next Generation are soft titles. There’s no sense of threat or excitement in the pulp serial tradition as implied by the previous six titles.

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

The softest of the six is ROTJ, though it does promise the 'return' of a hero (as in Dick Tracy Returns).

Take a look at the three serials that gave rise to the Star Wars saga, and their individual chapter headings:

Flash Gordon (1936)

1. The Planet of Peril
2. The Tunnel of Terror
3. Captured by Shark Men
4. Battling the Sea Beast
5. The Destroying Ray
6. Flaming Torture
7. Shattering Doom
8. Tournament of Death
9. Fighting the Fire Dragon
10. The Unseen Peril
11. In the Claws of the Tigron
12. Trapped in the Turret
13. Rocketing to Earth

Flash Gordon’s Trip to Mars (1938)

1. New Worlds to Conquer
2. The Living Dead
3. Queen of Magic
4. Ancient Enemies
5. The Boomerang
6. Tree-men of Mars
7. The Prisoner of Mongo
8. The Black Sapphire of Kalu
9. Symbol of Death
10. Incense of Forgetfulness
11. Human Bait
12. Ming the Merciless
13. The Miracle of Magic
14. A Beast at Bay
15. An Eye for an Eye

Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940)

1. The Purple Death
2. Freezing Torture
3. Walking Bombs
4. The Destroying Ray
5. The Palace of Horror
6. Flaming Death
7. The Land of the Dead
8. The Fiery Abyss
9. The Pool of Peril
10. The Death Mist
11. Stark Treachery
12. Doom of the Dictator

If Star Wars VII is about the New Republic and the resurgence of Remnant imperial forces, then The Unseen Peril might cover it.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Technically, the title of the first film is A New Hope - via a retcon, yes, but that is still pretty soft.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Technically, the title of the first film is A New Hope - via a retcon, yes, but that is still pretty soft.

That's why I left it out!

Star Wars didn't get the subtitle/chapter heading until its re-release in 1981, which makes it another poor Lucasian amendment.

The first film was somewhat condensed, according to Lucas. As in three movies squeezed into one, requiring a second Death Star to be built to repeat the ending for ROTJ.

Star Wars, divided into three chapters after Flash Gordon might be:

1. The Planet of Peril
2. The Destroying Ray
3. The Tunnel of Terror

With the prequel trilogy he was well into his stride with the naming.

Dr. Gonzo

This just in:

Michael Ardnt is no longer writing,

Screenwriting duties are being taken up by J.J. and the man Lawrence Kasdan himself!

Spurlock

Any reason why Arnt quit? I mean, this is going to be a major movie, I don't know why anyone would drop out.

Maybe it was the pressure of pleasing fanboys...

Dr. Gonzo

Spurlock said:
Any reason why Arnt quit? I mean, this is going to be a major movie, I don't know why anyone would drop out.

Maybe it was the pressure of pleasing fanboys...

I think you misunderstand. This a common practice in the business.

Michael Arndt worked on a few drafts as contractually obligated.
Now J.J. and Kasdan are making their pass on the screenplay, which most likely will be the final draft.