Casting Ideas for new Young Indy season

Flannery10

Even though, I'm also looking forward to the casting ideas for Young/Old Indiana Jones, I'm especially curious who you would pick to play:

1) any historical figure from that day. The ideas for additional episodes are mentioned in this thread:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=11674
A young Paul Robeson, Harry Houdini and Mahatma Gandhi are good examples, but don't just use the story ideas. Come up with some historical figures on your own, and pick a good actor or actress to play them.

2) people appearing or mentioned in the films:
Since all the people will be younger than in the movies, different actors and actresses will be needed for them. Marcus Brody, Sallah, Belloq, Marion etc.
Also come up with a good actor for Abner and think of how you have always imagined him.

If you think you look similar to a historical or a film person, you can cast yourself if you want to;) . To make things easier, you can pick famous actors, even though it might be too expensive for a TV series to afford them.

I have to admit, that I'm really not the guy, who can imagine actors in roles they never played, so I'll leave that to you.

Flannery10

Adamwankenobi said:
Sean Bean = Forrestal

Denzel Washington = Paul Robeson

John de Lancie = Harry Houdini

Kathy Bates = Molly Brown :p

As for Sean Bean, the role of the protagonist's rival is nothing new for him and he would certainly be a great choice.

Since Paul Robeson was born in 1899, Denzel Washington playing him would be a little age problem. I always imagined him playing Martin Luther King, but he was born even later than Robeson. John de Lancie has a good Houdini face, but Houdini was only 5' 2"" and de Lancie is 6' 4"".

Well, Kathy Bates would be the most obvious choice for the role of Molly Brown and Mahatma Gandhi's role should be played by Ben Kingsley:) , also pretty obious why.

Adamwankenobi

Flannery10 said:
Since Paul Robeson was born in 1899, Denzel Washington playing him would be a little age problem.

LOL, I didn't mean in the "Princeton, 1905" episode. Maybe in an episode set in the early-to-mid 1920s. :cool:

Flannery10

That would be possible, certainly, but wasn't Robeson in the second half of Winds of Change? Who played him in that episode?

Adamwankenobi

Flannery10 said:
That would be possible, certainly, but wasn't Robeson in the second half of Winds of Change? Who played him in that episode?

Yeah, but they could have another actor play him a la playing Joseph Bennett/Douglas Henshall playing T.E. Lawrence.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Me as Marion! :p Anyone who's seen my Marion pics, I think would agree. ;)

Alright... seriously. I think Michelle Trachenberg would do Marion justice. I've been trying to figure out Abner for a long time. I mean, is he Jewish and that's why he's after the Ark? Coz if he's Jewish, then maybe Jeff Goldblum. What about a young Marcus Brody? He's supposed to be Indy's Dad's best friend and we never see him in the Chronicles? I don't think there's even a mention. But who would do that some justice?

metalinvader

Violet Indy said:

Violet as Marion is a must! Hell,She even swings a mean frying pan!

Violet Indy said:
What about a young Marcus Brody? He's supposed to be Indy's Dad's best friend and we never see him in the Chronicles? I don't think there's even a mention. But who would do that some justice?

This has ALWAYS bugged me about the Chronicles.Brody was such an important character in Indy's life and yet not even a mention of him in the tv show.

Flannery10

Violet Indy said:

I have never seen your Marion pics, so maybe you could give me a link to those. :)
As for Jeff Goldblum, I think he would be more the, go with Indy guy, instead of the Indy mentor guy. He would make a pretty good sidekick, no doubt, but I always imagined Abner to be like Theodore Roosevelt from the looks (James Gammon in the British East Africa Episode).

Marcus Brody was in his late 50s in the movies, so he would be around 40 in the show. Replacing Denholm Eliott will be hard and right now I can't think of anyone, who could replace him.

In the Stockholm episode he could have met polar explorers, like Nansen or Amundsen. Nansen could be played by David Thewlis.

Kingsley

And what about Mac? Indys old colleague, as it seems.
Could he be part of Indys youth?
Is he now Canon?

We can think in somebody for him too.

Flannery10

Kingsley said:
And what about Mac? Indys old colleague, as it seems.
Could he be part of Indys youth?
Is he now Canon?

We can think in somebody for him too.

Mac is certainly canon, but since we don't really now what his exact role in the film will be, we should wait until it comes out and maybe we'll find out, when they meet.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Flannery10 said:
I have never seen your Marion pics, so maybe you could give me a link to those. :)
As for Jeff Goldblum, I think he would be more the, go with Indy guy, instead of the Indy mentor guy. He would make a pretty good sidekick, no doubt, but I always imagined Abner to be like Theodore Roosevelt from the looks (James Gammon in the British East Africa Episode).

Marcus Brody was in his late 50s in the movies, so he would be around 40 in the show. Replacing Denholm Eliott will be hard and right now I can't think of anyone, who could replace him.

In the Stockholm episode he could have met polar explorers, like Nansen or Amundsen. Nansen could be played by David Thewlis.

Link to Marion pics: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=9158&highlight=Violet+Indy's+Marion+Gear

Sorry for the bad quality. Didn't have a digital camera at the time. But do watch this space... KOTCS Marion stuff coming soon and decent camera quality this time. :cool: Yeah, with Abner, I've kind of imagined him as old in the 20s too. He needs to be someone who is insulted by the idea of Indy getting intimate with his daughter and Marion would have to be around her very early twenties (to play her as say a 18-19 year old which puts her roughly 8 to 9 years younger than Indy, which I think would be about right considering the way Karen and Harrison look in Raiders). Perhaps though, that's why there's no Marcus. He was just too hard to cast and they do seem to honor Elliot's memory by not having another Marcus. They could have done that with KOTCS but ultimately didn't out of respect.

Adamwankenobi

Violet Indy said:
Perhaps though, that's why there's no Marcus. He was just too hard to cast and they do seem to honor Elliot's memory by not having another Marcus. They could have done that with KOTCS but ultimately didn't out of respect.

They also could have cast a younger version of Brody for YIJC, but created a new character instead (in the "British East Africa, September 1909" episode.

Flannery10

Adamwankenobi said:
They also could have cast a younger version of Brody for YIJC, but created a new character instead (in the "British East Africa, September 1909" episode.

Medlicott, you mean. Yeah, but he had a small part and it was the only episode he appeared in. Maybe they didn't want to cast a new Brody, but then again, maybe they planned to have him appear in a 3rd season.

Great pics, Violet. You really look like Marion.