My first short film...

Chicago Jones

Hey all
I finally uploaded my first short film I did in school. I do not like. But what I did like is that it strayed away from the usual film school bs of guy likes girl and shorts that really don't have a solid meaning. (note: I do not think I am any good or whatever just speaking my mind)

When we screened the films the entire school exploded with praise. I was showered in, "Wow dude that was great!" and "We HAVE to work together!" I even made one of my teachers swear, which was pretty funny.

Flash-forward a year later and I'm just another grain in the pile of sand and I still haven't gotten back any emails from those wonderful people that said,"we HAVE to work together!"

But anyways here is the short film, Just A Thought

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQL82DQeM4

Chicago Jones

ResidentAlien said:
Wow, all the subtlety of a brick to the face.

My goal was to be as blunt as possible so everybody could get the message. I wasn't going for artsy or a thinker.

Also if a brick went into my face I would say ask why did this brick go in my face.

NOTE: We shot the interior scenes at night. The sunlight you see is actually the amazing lighting done by my DP. The short was voted for best cinematography.

Chicago Jones said:
My goal was to be as blunt as possible so everybody could get the message. I wasn't going for artsy or a thinker.

Also if a brick went into my face I would say ask why did this brick go in my face.

NOTE: We shot the interior scenes at night. The sunlight you see is actually the amazing lighting done by my DP. The short was voted for best cinematography.

But why say it at all? It was hardly an original notion. And the world is hardly black and white; there is never only two sides to a conflict. That's simply naivete.

Chicago Jones said:
WHy say anything? Simplicity= affective in short form

If beating a dead horse is the effect you were searching for...

And you're the one who was making a "statement," however trite it was. Why ask me why one would say something? You were.

Last edited:

Chicago Jones

ResidentAlien said:
If beating a dead horse is the effect you were searching for...

And you're the one who was making a "statement," however trite it was. Why ask me why one would say something? You were.

well my dead horse was better than most dead horses that get squeezed out of film school

Chicago Jones said:
well my dead horse was better than most dead horses that get squeezed out of film school

Really? For a moment there I confused it with nearly every other first student film I'd ever seen.

Chicago Jones

ResidentAlien said:
Really? For a moment there I confused it with nearly every other first student film I'd ever seen.

If you're saying my short is a anti-war short, it is not. And if so, nobody in my entire school made a anti-war or a short that actually had a purpose. They all did shorts about ex girlfriends, detectives, David Lynch rip offs, and shorts that had fancy titles in them but served no purpose.

Chicago Jones said:
If you're saying my short is a anti-war short, it is not. And if so, nobody in my entire school made a anti-war or a short that actually had a purpose. They all did shorts about ex girlfriends, detectives, David Lynch rip offs, and shorts that had fancy titles in them but served no purpose.

No, I'm calling it a vacuous social reform piece, as if you're going to change the world with a silly student film.

Chicago Jones

ResidentAlien said:
No, I'm calling it a vacuous social reform piece, as if you're going to change the world with a silly student film.

You are looking into this way to deeply. Who said I want to change the world? I set out to make a short film that actually said something so I could put it on my reel.

Chicago Jones said:
You are looking into this way to deeply. Who said I want to change the world? I set out to make a short film that actually said something so I could put it on my reel.

And I'm saying that it doesn't say anything worth saying.

Chicago Jones said:
Well can't disagree with your opinion. Can you explain why my short film sucks?

I already cited lack of originality.

I'm impressed you haven't caught on yet-- what goes around comes around, eh?