Thanks to Mattel...Hasbro is changing it's tune.

Indy's Fist

The fact that Hasbro kept packing the cases with lots of figures from prior waves and few from the new waves was a huge mistake, thus causing merchants to turn away. If the cases were loaded with only new figures the stores would have been able to move a lot more product. The bottomline is that Hasbro is to blame.

Vongoosewink

Indy's Fist said:
The fact that Hasbro kept packing the cases with lots of figures from prior waves and few from the new waves was a huge mistake, thus causing merchants to turn away. If the cases were loaded with only new figures the stores would have been able to move a lot more product. The bottomline is that Hasbro is to blame.

I agree 100%.

tnswman

vf wing said:
While this is somewhat encouraging news, I'm not entirely sure I'd jump on it if it came to fruition. He-Man figs were selling for 20 bucks per as a base price, and, as you suggest, apparently have even more insane markups on the aftermarket.

If Indy figs came out at 20 bucks per... I dunno. Yeah, the market's overall prices have/are shifting upwards, but that doesn't mean every collector is following lockstep. The result for me is I've downsized my collecting significantly, as I personally can't justify the price trends.

If two or three Indy figs came out every year, I could see maybe doing it. An entire line? Probably a big pass from me. I just don't have that kind of money to put into this stuff! :sick:

Well, there would for sure be a substantial price increase. It would be well worth it though.

Mattel is making the most of this on-line market. However, the secondary market is just being greedy with the prices.

tnswman

Indy's Fist said:

Now you are forgetting that the reason many stores pulled away from their initial Indy interests was due to the assortments. Target and TRU were the two biggest stores that went from a full participant like WM to just re-ordering as they sold their current stock. This left WM as the largest seller with Hasbro sitting on TONS of the un-desired cases.

Now, you can't blame Hasbro for Character selection....They made a LOT of prtotypes for the line the whole wave 2 ROTLA figures are figures that were made but passed over by Lucasfilm.

The intial plans was for an earlier release. When Target, TRU and others scaled back, the Indy line became a full-on Movie tie-in line.

thelaw

I've believed this was the absolute wrong approach almost from Day 1. If you look at the 25th Anniversary G. I. Joe line, you see a line that perfectly encapsulates how the Indy line should have been handled. Start very small (I know I was upset about how hard it was to find the stuff for the first 8 months), guage the interest of the collecting community, and produce accordingly in anticipation of the movie. Then use the movie to build on that core audience. They actually did the same thing with the Star Wars line back in 1995. I think Lucasfilm may have gotten a little bit overconfident with the 13 year Star Wars success and anticipated the same with Indy.
An Indy toyline always had an uphill battle, with Indy himself being the only character across all 4 movies (he's the Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Obi-wan, Anakin, Darth Vader, etc. of his movie serials all rolled into one). It was always going to be a collector-driven line with a minor uptick in casual interest during the KOTCS timeframe, and Hasbro would have seen this had they been allowed to "prerelease" the line.
Still, it's almost a crime that possibly the most anticipated toyline in the last 14 years could have failed so quickly.

Back on topic, I would LOVE to pay 15-20 bucks for an online exclusive Indy figure!

phantom train

thelaw said:
I've believed this was the absolute wrong approach almost from Day 1. If you look at the 25th Anniversary G. I. Joe line, you see a line that perfectly encapsulates how the Indy line should have been handled. Start very small (I know I was upset about how hard it was to find the stuff for the first 8 months), guage the interest of the collecting community, and produce accordingly in anticipation of the movie. Then use the movie to build on that core audience. They actually did the same thing with the Star Wars line back in 1995. I think Lucasfilm may have gotten a little bit overconfident with the 13 year Star Wars success and anticipated the same with Indy.
An Indy toyline always had an uphill battle, with Indy himself being the only character across all 4 movies (he's the Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Obi-wan, Anakin, Darth Vader, etc. of his movie serials all rolled into one). It was always going to be a collector-driven line with a minor uptick in casual interest during the KOTCS timeframe, and Hasbro would have seen this had they been allowed to "prerelease" the line.
Still, it's almost a crime that possibly the most anticipated toyline in the last 14 years could have failed so quickly.

Back on topic, I would LOVE to pay 15-20 bucks for an online exclusive Indy figure!

I agree 150%. I have collected SW figures since 1995, and the "G.I. Joe 25th" anniversary figures from 2007-on, and having an initial limited release for these IJ figures would have truly been the way to go (I also remember the frustration I had with not finding many of the "25th anniv. G.I. Joe" figures for almost a year after their release).
In a perfect world, here is the way these IJ figures should have been released:

- Summer 2007 (June/July) - limited release of the first wave of the ROTLA figures.

- Fall 2007 (September/October) - limited release of the TOD figures.

- Winter 2008 (January/February) - limited release of the LC figures.

- May 2008 - wider release of the KOTCS figures. This KOTCS wave could include some figures from the first three waves (1st ROTLA, TOD, and LC).

- Summer 2008 (July/August) - wider release of the 2nd wave of ROTLA (This could also include figures from the initial three waves).

If this format had been followed, I'm almost sure we would have seen at least the planned 2nd wave of ROTLA figures (even if the line had still eventually tanked).

Just my .02....