Your Best and Worst ET level

IAdventurer01

temple of john said:
You also realize that if you throw a grenade in the water, the Shark will swim right up to it, right? I found this out early on and never really had to bother with the damn things.
:D
:eek: You're kidding right? Of course you aren't... Well now I feel stupid for not ever figuring this out.

IndyBuff

IAdventurer01 said:
:eek: You're kidding right? Of course you aren't... Well now I feel stupid for not ever figuring this out.

You and me both. I tried shooting them once and it didn't work, so I guess I just assumed you couldn't kill them. I'm playing the game again so when I get to Istanbul I'll have to try this technique.:D

VP

Moderator Emeritus
welcome_tumma.jpg

Welcome, Doctorjones.

IndyBuff

temple of john said:
You shouldn't. If you see a shark in the water near you and you are not in the water, just throw a grenade near it and it will swim up to it and BOOM!!!!! the shark will flip over and thats all she wrote. There is one part in particular (the part when you are looking for the 4 discs) that you are high above the sharks and you can throw the grenade down into the water. They will swim right up to it. It's hilarious. Try it.

I'll have to try that next time I play. That level is tough enough for me already, but the sharks add a whole new element to it and personally I find them bothersome.

I can't wait to see this. Thanks for the tip.:cool:

JerryKing

I abhor "Emperor's Tomb" sine ulla exceptione. However, as far as I can recall, I found walking in the familiar surroundings of Hradčany moderately interesting... for a few minutes.

INDYfatigable

least fav was definately von beck's revenge.. still trying to beat that one actually. i also hated the fact that you cant kill the corc in the idol of koru watu. that sucked.
my fav was probly any of the prague levels up to the astorlogical closk sequence, that just didnt seem very indy to me. but the rest of the level smacked of the last crusade.

JerryKing

By the way, speaking of Von Beck, here is an easy remedy: Alt-F4 from the game, go to the "levels" directory, back up "M09_Tomb_04.SLS" and copy "M01_SriLanka_01.SLS" over it. Now load the Von Beck save and complete Ceylon #1 instead. As a bonus, you will enter the Netherworld with a machete.

JerryKing

Alternatively, if one wants to see the whole von Beck level, here is a version in which I appear to have disabled the tank:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=07RHGMHCYKJ5G0Y82N6KWI3T60

This has one more amusing result - one can step back and explore the corridor from which the tank emerges, as well as a previously hidden area with a golden door and a machine gun.

Back up M09_Tomb_04.SLS and replace it with the one from the above archive to play without von Beck's tank and with normal view. This leaves only the running and jumping part all the way to level completion. You won't see the animation in which the tank falls into a chasm, however - but it can be seen if you use the invulnerability cheat and let the tank run you over by a wall, so that it drives on and on and and drags you... eventually it will reach the ramp and the animation will play.

Last edited:

Bjorn Heimdall

Aw this thread is making me want to play the game all over again... I'll have to do that some time to actually remember which level I like best. I have it on PS2 and I played it on hard from the beginning. With these icons appearing in the corner all the time, the whole puzzle element was lost.
The graphics are horrendous, but the atmosphere makes up for it.

I do remember that Von Becks Revenge was a load of fun! Yes I said fun. Even if I had to replay it again and again I loved it. It was so frantic!:whip:

IndyBuff

Bjorn Heimdall said:
I do remember that Von Becks Revenge was a load of fun! Yes I said fun. Even if I had to replay it again and again I loved it. It was so frantic!:whip:

I have always enjoyed that level too. It was challenging but it made you feel great once you completed it. After a while you just develop a rhythem and it becomes easier after that.

I'm still not a big fan of the first Netherworld level, The Pillars of the Underworld. Jumping out to the platforms is always tricky and then it gets even harder because there are two artifacts hidden in that level. It probably took me the longest to beat that section when I first played the game.

DaFedora

After giving up for a long time to try to beat the Von Beck's revenge level, 4 weeks ago I decided to give it another desperate try. And upon getting my concentration at maximum with swing-release-tippytitoe-jump-before-the-floor-disappears-whip-swing'ing my way over.
So I did manage to calm my nerves and break the sequential secret to get to the Neverworld. Halleluja

I loved the Sri Lanka level with the ruins you had to jump, and be quick enough to load the hunting rifle and blast them down - loved to stand on a higher placed piece of rock to do that.

From a aesthetic point of view, I loved all the Istanbul levels, as well as the Chinese fortress areas. The only thing that sucked was the length of the level with the four coins in the large Greek complex area... although I did fancy to blow the guards of the broken bridge pieces (corridor that led to the water tubes to fill) with grenades. In general, I found it slightly annoying you needed to get this and there to demolih a wall and get a coin, swim about and dodge sharks. Also, the library in Prague may have had more hidden passages if ya ask me.

Still one of the best favorites is manning the machine gun on the cablecar and anticipating Stuka's !

And just blasting Chinese dudes away from riksja's and cars in the night streets.

Last edited:
"Still one of the best favorites is manning the machine gun on the cablecar"

Ug... I hated that level almost as much as I hated fighting the Kraken!

LOL

IndyBuff

I'm not a big fan of the coin level either. It's pretty easy for me now but the first time I played it I was stuck for nearly an hour. I also enjoyed the Kraken level and the cable car levels.

In fact, I pretty much enjoyed the entire game. It's my second-favorite Indy game, right behind Fate of Altantis.:whip:

INDYfatigable

i finally beat the game!! it took me three months lol but i didnt want to just rush through it, i wanted to enjoy the action and adventure, and have replayed each of the levels multiple times. i really enjoyed it
as much as i hated von beck's revenge, it gave me a great sense of accomplishment when i beat it.... after almost 130 tries