Shia says Indy 5 is 'cracked'

FILMKRUSC

Dewy9 said:
Say what you will about George, but I think the guy can take a hint. He doesn't go out to anger the fans, I think his vision and the fans have, in recent years, occassionally diverged. QUOTE]

I agree. I'm not that excited about Indy 5 after what I saw they came up with after years of developing Indy 4. The shorter turnaround to Indy 5 worries me.

But Lucas is pretty good about fine tuning - I just wish he would have started fine tuning on KOTCS. I believe he would do a better job on Indy 5. At least I hope he will. If Mutt's back in it then all bets are off. :sick:

Frankly I'm still doubting I would go see Indy 5 (can't believe I'm saying that) after KOTCS.

JimmyPSHayes

I'm all for an Indy 5! Hopefully the luke-warm reaction from fans will encourage them to do better. Like Lucas did with the prequels.

Dene

Could Shia be the 'secret weapon' in getting Indy 5 made? He's a pretty big star now, and if Spielberg wants to work with him again he's got a franchise all ready to continue.

Darth Vile

JimmyPSHayes said:
I'm all for an Indy 5! Hopefully the luke-warm reaction from fans will encourage them to do better. Like Lucas did with the prequels.

I wouldn't hold your breath. KOTCS was made for the fans wasn't it? ;)

Hanselation

Darth Vile said:
I wouldn't hold your breath. KOTCS was made for the fans wasn't it? ;)

It was made for the fans, but obviously they didn't really know what the fans would like to see. It was not really a bad movie. But they brought us more STARGATE than INDIANA JONES. Next time, I would like to see a more indylike adventure (mystic, religion, adventure and great stunts - And not: aliens, ufo and CGI-effects.
So they tried to make a film for fans, but they failed in some ways.

Jonesy9906753

Insomniac said:
I agree Dewy!!!
Indy must go out in style like every other good movie series with a planned ending!
:hat:

Already did,

400.jpg

and they came back rusty and tried to recapturing the vibe
467.jpg

498.jpg

See?

Darth Vile

Hanselation said:
It was made for the fans, but obviously they didn't really know what the fans would like to see. It was not really a bad movie. But they brought us more STARGATE than INDIANA JONES. Next time, I would like to see a more indylike adventure (mystic, religion, adventure and great stunts - And not: aliens, ufo and CGI-effects.
So they tried to make a film for fans, but they failed in some ways.

Truth be known, fan communities disagree over what they believe constitutes "a good Indy movie". I think at a generic level we all want a movie that can compete with and live up to Raiders... but apart from that, we seem to have differences on direction, lighting, plot, locale, reoccurring characters etc. etc. etc.

The best thing Lucas/Spielberg can do (IMHO), is to be utterly selfish and make a movie they'd collectively want to see themselves.

Mickiana

Darth, that last sentence hits the nail on the head. It's what made Raiders as good as it was. I don't want to see another Raiders, but I would like another Indy flick on par with Raiders. It's just wishful thinking at the moment...

IndyForever

Darth Vile said:
Truth be known, fan communities disagree over what they believe constitutes "a good Indy movie". I think at a generic level we all want a movie that can compete with and live up to Raiders... but apart from that, we seem to have differences on direction, lighting, plot, locale, reoccurring characters etc. etc. etc.

The best thing Lucas/Spielberg can do (IMHO), is to be utterly selfish and make a movie they'd collectively want to see themselves.
They did !!! KOTCS is that movie! Personally I loved it so more of the same works for me. I think everyone knows its 100% Indy's last movie so they need to come up with something extra special. Spielberg was always the holdout, Ford & Lucas were ready to go in 1994 but Spielberg was unsure and ID4 scuppered it as SS felt it contained too many similar elements to the Indy4 they wanted to do then and eversince he dragged his feet with excuses.

Darth Vile said:

That's why we got Crystal Skull.

When planning Raiders they went through the selfish/want to see phase and Spielberg cried trying to imagine filming their wish list.

Then Lucas "taught him the art of compromise" and they stipped it down in scale and scope. Lucas saved money, to Spielberg's shock, by ripping two of the four propellers off the flying wing,(Quarter of a mil?). In Speilbergs own words, "they couldn't indulge themselves". Hence we got Raiders.

For Skull, they just got someone to pay for it, AND booted up the computers. They found a way to indulge themselves and we got a glimpse of what Raiders might have been, (shudders).

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
That's why we got Crystal Skull.

When planning Raiders they went through the selfish/want to see phase and Spielberg cried trying to imagine filming their wish list.

Then Lucas "taught him the art of compromise" and they stipped it down in scale and scope. Lucas saved money, to Spielberg's shock, by ripping two of the four propellers off the flying wing,(Quarter of a mil?). In Speilbergs own words, "they couldn't indulge themselves". Hence we got Raiders.

For Skull, they just got someone to pay for it, AND booted up the computers. They found a way to indulge themselves and we got a glimpse of what Raiders might have been, (shudders).

Hmmm maybe. IMHO KOTCS seems like a movie that's been made to try and please everyone. I know Lucas and Spielberg are always going to have some differing opinions on what they want to see anyway, but I do think they tried a little too hard to make a "popular" straight down the middle Indy movie.

James

Darth Vile said:
I do think they tried a little too hard to make a "popular" straight down the middle Indy movie.

It is interesting that the "Saucermen" elements generally met with a better response among fans and critics. The film's second half seemed to draw the most criticism, and that was largely Spielberg's part of the 'compromise'.

Darth Vile

James said:
It is interesting that the "Saucermen" elements generally met with a better response among fans and critics. The film's second half seemed to draw the most criticism, and that was largely Spielberg's part of the 'compromise'.

Agreed. Interesting that after all the debates/arguments, the section that draws most criticism on these boards (and I guess elsewhere), is the more traditional set pieces/action.

Dewy9

That thing at the bottom of the article said it wasn't even from someone who works for Insider, it was a user.