Uninterested, Uninvolved, or Disenchanted?

swords

Has the Indy series run its course for anyone, and in particular, has anyone lost their emotional involvement with the films in general?

For me anyway, I no longer place it above par what used to be, in my opinion, the greatest movies ever made. That I thought Raiders was the best movie ever made makes me now question what I myself used to believe. I guess you could call it fandom shallowness, but when I neglected other films, and just simply became only interested in Indiana Jones, then over time I just got restless; so then I decided to bridge out and discovery something more fiting to my tastes, and in this way I think I could possibly reevaluate and appreciate the Indy series again for what it is, if this works out.

I no longer feel motivated or at the least curious to find out why I feel this way exactly, since its simply a matter of disinterest. And I still watch the films from time to time, just to see if my opinion has changed, but Im still stuck at the same reaction. Unfortunately it hasn't done anything as of yet, but you never know...

Somewhere deep down Im still a fan, although it keeps burying itself further and further and further...

Who knows, perhaps on a subliminal level Im asking for help? Anyone feel uninterested, uninvolved, or disenchanted?

On another note, this has nothing to do with Indy 4 being made or not being made(because Im still going to watch it if it ever reaches us in some form); since I've already become cynical of it on the whole though, I won't throw up my arms in disgust if it never reaches the camera. I'll still watch it though, but I am not exactly looking forward to it as I would have been long ago...

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
It is comforting, my friend, to see that someone feels the same as I do about the films of the good doctor. But you have my support in this opinion, for I am not dismayed with this. Indeed, my life, and any life, is truly more fulfilling the broader it is, by which, of course, I mean, without a single major focus of interest.

Anyone else with swords and I on this one?

Joe Brody

My first response is to ask: in the world of film what else is out there that offers more?

Fortunately for me, I'm still a little fresh because I have had my time away from the films. I doubt that I watched any Indy film between the time shortly after the VHS release to the DVD hitting the shelves last fall. What is that? Ten, twelve years?

In that time I have watched a lot of movies -- and there's a fair number of movies that I like better than 'Raiders' (some more adult and some more youth oriented). But on the bonus DVD, Spielberg or Lucas (I can't remember which one) describes 'Raiders' as the one movie where everything -- the casting, the locations, the stunts, the script -- came out better than it was supposed to. I buy into that conclusion and that's the reason why I'm here. In my opinion, it's almost a perfect movie (plus there's a big nostaligia factor at work because it's the only movie that blew me away as a kid).

However, it's human nature to get bored and to move on -- but I don't see much else out there. . . .and believe me, I'm out looking . . . .so until I find something new, I'll park it right here.

I

Indy's_main_man

Films aren't meant to be obsessed over....but sometimes it's fun to obsess over a movie.

If you watch these films casually, maybe each one a month...maybe 2 because you're a big fan. When you watch these 5 times every month...of course it will lose the magic.

I

Indy_Jones88

Indy's_main_man said:
Films aren't meant to be obsessed over....but sometimes it's fun to obsess over a movie.

If you watch these films casually, maybe each one a month...maybe 2 because you're a big fan. When you watch these 5 times every month...of course it will lose the magic.

Exactly, Example: I used to be big into star wars. I watched the films every other week or more. I got burned out on it and now i am at Indy. I have learned to not get way into something and then get burned out on it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Law of Diminishing Returns

Film is an art form. It is a creative medium that can be speculated on time and time again. The better crafted it is, like paintings and literature, the deeper you can go to the fountain to be replentished.

There are about a dozen threads that some of our more patient and wise members have thrown out there discussing the depths of the films. Bob's thread about Colonialism/Imperialism and ToD. The Apple thread. The (potential) Mason thread. Marcus Brody tie thread. You know the kind, the ones where one aspect of the film is so thoroughly extrapolated and studied, you feel you gained insight into its addition and creation. Anytime you feel you can get into the mind of the character or the characters creator, you feel more educated, more accomplished than before you engaged in the study.

One of my current thoughts is why is Indiana so reluctant? I don't see him making a single definitive choice about anything. Why?

Back to the point. There are far to many members of this community to go very deep into these films. A good thread can die so quickly with the nature of a "hear me" message board. Trying to find that insight (at least here) as well as sharing it with others becomes a challenge that as time goes on becomes less important to some.

Decide what level you want to maintain your interest at and seek ways to accomplish that. If that means staying away for a time and coming back fresh, then that is the key. Just remember that film is an art form you escape into, not an environment you use to as a refuge from something you are escaping from. By doing so, you'll never experience the law of diminishing returns....

swords

Attila the Professor said:
It is comforting, my friend, to see that someone feels the same as I do about the films of the good doctor. But you have my support in this opinion, for I am not dismayed with this. Indeed, my life, and any life, is truly more fulfilling the broader it is, by which, of course, I mean, without a single major focus of interest.

Agreed, I don't intend to be forward, but you were one of the first of the disconcenting, and over time I've seemed to have catched your fever, but that isn't a bad thing.;)

I was slightly put off by your new outlook and opinions on the films(and I will admit, the envious side of me wanted some of this difference in vitality). What could be seen as your indifference to the films themselves was strangely attractive to me. For example, where an consenting Indy fan would never normally trend, you would, or if the films themselves were deemed infallible, you would dispute that in a intelligent manner; you seemed to have gone against the grain, that these notions could be brought to the surface, and challenged, but in a polite way of course.

To be more specific, I gave a more careful look into the films of yesteryear to gage what you were actually talking about, and I've seemed to have adopted this outlook too...

And to the rest:

I still enjoy discussing the films, and if someone brings a new point of view to the discussion, then Im there; or if theres new discussions of classic films in the classics forum brought into the fold, I'll contribute. So Im not specifically saying regurgitated discussions are what I am after, because they were done in the past, and they are especially done alot better when they are first presented.

And, Fisk, Im all for fans having fedoras, and discussing their trips and Indy esque events and their Indy esque adventures with the rest of us, although I'll leave the community discussions with others(I find nothing wrong with this, though I still have my preferences). As long as there is a balance, a equilibrium paradise found in between commentary discussions and the 'how you been?' conversations.

Last edited:

Indyologist

Re: The Law of Diminishing Returns

Pale Horse said:
Film is an art form. It is a creative medium that can be speculated on time and time again. The better crafted it is, like paintings and literature, the deeper you can go to the fountain to be replenished...

Decide what level you want to maintain your interest at and seek ways to accomplish that. If that means staying away for a time and coming back fresh, then that is the key. Just remember that film is an art form you escape into, not an environment you use to as a refuge from something you are escaping from. By doing so, you'll never experience the law of diminishing returns....

Hear, hear, Pale Horse! I agree. Brilliant musings.

bob

The Indiana Jones films will always be very special to me simply because they were burnt into my brain in my childhood making them pretty much part of my DNA.

I have tried in the 2.5 years I have been in this forum to justify my love of Indy, I have never tried to claim that they are the greatest films ever made I have always just enjoyed them as some of the most effortlessly enjoyable movies ever produced.
Perhaps my efforts to analyse have been a little in vain in that sense and may actually impair watching of the movies, I really do ask myself if these films have a great deal of depth... and the attitude of most members of the raven (perhaps not wrongly) who do not seem to want to find depth or engage in detailed discussion about the films (i.e. Not as a moan but as a point of comparision my recent attempt at analysis the why a prequel thread recieved only a handful of replies, ok it may not have been that exciting but at least it was an attempt at examing the nuts and bolts of ToD) really... they simply want to enjoy discussing their favourite movies.

I have remained in the raven for so long largely in search of interesting discussions rather than just as a social forum for gushing over the movies, which I fear it is rapidly becoming, particularly since it restarted there has just been a dearth of interesting threads.... but I digress.

Johan

Man...I think all you guy's have lost your marbles. I've been watching them constantly since I was a kid and still get new things out of them, I learn the quotes and watch the artistry of afilm that changed the way movies are made. It fans my passion for history and discovery. Refuel your love for the movies by reading the books! These message boards are another way. So I am hereby calling all those who have strayed from Indy Passion.......RISE UP AS ONE AND WE WILL MAKE THIS MOVIE THE BIGGEST THERE WAS FOR ALL GENERATIONS TO COME!

I

Indy's_main_man

When I was a kid I watched "Toys" over and over again because of the bright colors

this went on for a year

Then I watched "The Jungle Book" every day over and over because of the songs

Eventually I got sick of both (accept for Toys which went on to be one of my favorite films).

this is just a case of too much of a good thing

Indy Benson

If The Raven doesn?t go towards a direction of what?s really going on in people?s lives and what?s coming on the horizon besides Jones4, this forum?s going to die.

I'm a moderator for a The Thing movie website, and we almost ran into a similar problem. Let's face it: you can only talk about a movie (or movies) for so long, you can only dissect, bisect, and examine a movie for so long. Soon, you're rehashing the same tired, boring items that have been talked about in the past. Or people are making up ridiculous posts, trying to spur something along.
Anyway, we created a Mass Media section, where people can post about anything regarding news, movies, life, etc. Also, we created a Video Game section, where one can post about the new games, computers, consoles, etc. This has kept the Thing website alive, and it helps people get a feel for a person really is.
I notice that this site has a Miscellaneous section. I think it's a good idea to talk about things other than Indy. It keeps things fresh.

Personally, I prefer to see people experiencing real excitement,, and writing about it to share it with others. I'm an Indy fan, but not an Indy fanatic.

Kingsley

I'm not Uninterested, Uninvolved, or Disenchanted (yet)
But it's interesting to find an old thread for every thought about Indy's world.
You can see people having almost a common route in time in a forum like this. There is an initial enthusiasm in which you will discuss everything because every topic is fresh and new.
But Indy's world is a limited world, at some point you have discussed everything. The key is finding that we can relate the whole world with these movies... we can discuss about everything in a certain way.

No Ticket was everywhere a month ago ;)
Now his urgencies where probably satiated, and he comes and discuss on precise things. So do I.

Attila on the other hand seems to have made it an habit to come here to look for others opinions and built a constructive debate. He really uses Indy's world to speak about everything. I'm quoting one of his 2004 posts!

Maybe with all the buzz of a new film being made, we have lost a little of the debate of the past years. But this place will remain interesting in the next future, for sure.

Last edited:

kongisking

Certainly my love for Indy has been challenged by films like LOTR, POTC (IMO) and Terminator, but I think i will make it through alright. ;)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
np. Sonata Arctica - Abandoned, Pleased, Brainwashed, Exploited

whoops, wrong thread... ;)

Michael24

I've certainly not lost interest. I've been anxiously awaiting a fourth Indy film longer than any other movie. I still watch the trilogy on a regular basis, and Raiders of the Lost has consistently been my #1 all-time favorite movie for a very long time. Even with all the great movies I've enjoyed since 1989, if I was going to be banished to a deserted island and could only take one DVD box set, it would be the Indiana Jones one.

As for posting on The Raven, I don't know. I suppose interest in that may eventually drop off for me, but not for lack of interest in the series. A couple years ago, I was a daily poster on the forums at TheForce.net. But after a couple years or so, my posting frequency gradually dropped off because it felt like there was really nothing much else to discuss being so Star Wars-specific. Most movie-specific boards I've left after awhile for the same reason. Not for lack of interest in the films, just because it seems like after awhile there's not a whole lot of stuff left to talk about because so much as been covered already.

I think it's probably a "Familiarity breeding contempt" issue to at least some degree... All newness wears off, and the thing that was once new eventually becomes threadbare with wear and travel.... When it's worn out, a new thing is required to replace it.

Doesn't mean you can't have fond memories of what has passed.... but to try to live in that past would be pretty sad and pathetic. (Not to mention you'd miss all the great stuff happening in the present.)

It's a great 3fer of movies, the Indy stuff.... But are they the BEST MOVIES EVER? How does it matter one way or the other if they are or aren't.... It's a pretty lame thing to get your knickers in a knot over.

Watch 'em for what they are....

Pale Horse

Staff member
swords said:
Has the Indy series run its course for anyone, and in particular, has anyone lost their emotional involvement with the films in general? ...

Truer words were never spoken here. And to think, this was back in 2004

Pale Horse said:
Truer words were never spoken here. And to think, this was back in 2004
...and less than two months later he posted his last and never came back. Not even for Crystal Skull. If only more uninterested, uninvolved and disenchanted would follow his lead!:hat: