TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #126
fenris
IndyFan
 
fenris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philippines
Posts: 270
How 'bout this guy?

Josh Holloway
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #127
replican't
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenris
How 'bout this guy?

Josh Holloway

No thanks.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #128
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenris
How 'bout this guy?

Josh Holloway

Only if the gorgeous Evangeline Lilly becomes his Marion, in which case I won't even notice that Josh is Indy.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #129
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,038
Does a "new Indy" have to look like Harrison? I mean Roger Moore looked pretty much nothing like Sean Connery.

I'm asking because our options could be much wider if the new guy doesn't have to look like Harrison, as long as he's got the acting chops to pull off the role. I'm just saying if a new actor has the chops and can pull off the rugged anti-hero adventurer as originally envisioned, does it matter if he looks like Harrison Ford?

I mean the original concept drawings of Indy look nothing like Harrison


If a guy has that classic Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Clark Gable sort of Golden Age of Hollywood look, or can at least be believable as Raiders of the Lost Ark Indy (ie, the mysterious "Man with No Name"-esque Indy), that's all that should count. Just reboot the series with a younger actor playing Indy in a new continuity.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #130
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
If someone else does get to play a younger Indy, he must at least in some ways resemble HF. Because Harrison Ford looks like Indiana Jones, a new person must also have a look that will resemble Harrison in order to look like a believable (or acceptable) Indiana Jones.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #131
foreignerfred
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselation
If in the next Indiana Jones movie another actor would play Indiana Jones in a flashback as a younger boy (like River Phoenix did it in LC) I would suggest this guy:

Brian Geraghty















More Pics

See him act: Video

I actually support the idea of a flashback to younger (mid-20's, early 30's) Indy's adventures, very much like the LC teaser. I think, at least physically, Geraghty has exactly the look that would be needed.

I've always thought that had River Phoenix lived, here in 2012, people would be clambering for River to step into the role, since LC was essentially the Beards and Harrison giving him the thumbs up...as well as the fans (for the most part).

If there was a flashback scene starring Geraghty that captured even a little of Indy magic -- and all within a Harrison Ford Indy film, I think fans and average moviegoers alike would be on board. It doesn't get much more "Passing the torch" than that!

Plus, that would also ensure films STARRING Geraghty, or whoever else, would be Indy canon. That is, prequels, and not REBOOT.

This would continue the untold-story-phenomenon Lucas popularized with Star Wars (after attempting YIJC), while respecting Harrison's legacy by not erasing (like Lucas loves to do) his series.
foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #132
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
If someone else does get to play a younger Indy, he must at least in some ways resemble HF. Because Harrison Ford looks like Indiana Jones, a new person must also have a look that will resemble Harrison in order to look like a believable (or acceptable) Indiana Jones.

True....I'd love if they just adapted some of the Bantam novels (with tweaks of course) to the big screen. Some classic Indy yarns there.

If not films, I'd love if Lucas did another show like the YIJC, picking up where it left off with some of the unsured script elements (like Indy meeting and partnering with Belloq in 1920).
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #133
Supernatural
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 95
I like Josh Brolin for the part, but ever since someone mentioned Nathan Fillion I've been rethinking it. I think his everyman look and demeanor and sense of humor are right on the nose.
Supernatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #134
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural
...but ever since someone mentioned Nathan Fillion I've been rethinking it. I think his everyman look and demeanor and sense of humor are right on the nose.

Though his nose doesn't look good in a fedora.



Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #135
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,162
There will be something off with anyone in the role that isn't Harrison. Most likely they get someone who looks like him they won't be able to act or vise versa. Or his voice won't be right for Indy. All I'm saying is I don't think a reboot is a good idea with such a great character that was partially made great by the actor playing him. I think a reboot is unnecessary like most reboots and remakes. I would rather someone creates a character of the same motif that has similar type adventures. Uncharted the movie is far more welcome in my book than an Indy reboot. But I will take another sequel with Harrison if done soon.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #136
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
I think it would be great if a reboot is done with someone appropriate. It was a gamble when they took on Harrison for Raiders. It worked out fantastic. Yes, he set the bar and mostly owns the role. I say 'mostly' because it has been noted how he seemed a little lacklustre in LC and, well, CS of course has its problems. All this "Harrison is the only one" seems a little bit too 'worshippy' for me. I bet Harrison wouldn't care if the role went to someone else to enable historically earlier time slots for a movie setting, especially if that person did a good job and even if it happened in his lifetime. Of course GL is the one to decide that, but reincarnating Indiana Jones via a new younger actor only makes good sense to me. What a fantastic way to keep enjoying the adventures of Indiana Jones. They did it with Young Indiana Jones but of course he was really young but there was nothing wrong with it. As such, there will be nothing wrong with a new younger Indy for more adventures from the 1920s and 1930s.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #137
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I think it would be great if a reboot is done with someone appropriate. It was a gamble when they took on Harrison for Raiders. It worked out fantastic. Yes, he set the bar and mostly owns the role. I say 'mostly' because it has been noted how he seemed a little lacklustre in LC and, well, CS of course has its problems. All this "Harrison is the only one" seems a little bit too 'worshippy' for me. I bet Harrison wouldn't care if the role went to someone else to enable historically earlier time slots for a movie setting, especially if that person did a good job and even if it happened in his lifetime. Of course GL is the one to decide that, but reincarnating Indiana Jones via a new younger actor only makes good sense to me. What a fantastic way to keep enjoying the adventures of Indiana Jones. They did it with Young Indiana Jones but of course he was really young but there was nothing wrong with it. As such, there will be nothing wrong with a new younger Indy for more adventures from the 1920s and 1930s.

It isn't worshippy it's a matter of can't something else similar be done without having to reboot something? Also I am a huge believer in Harrison made the role as good as it is and if Selleck had been Indy it would not have been done as well. Let's see a new adventurer and enjoy Indiana Jones for what it is with Harrison. The other James Bonds never are the same without Connery. And SPF's Indy portrayal never worked for me either.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #138
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Indiana Jones, like James Bond, is formulaic. An adventuring archaeologist with an academic side chasing the prize against typical foes, getting the girl, losing the prize, sometimes losing the girl. Of course someone else can do it. And I don't want something similar, I want Indiana Jones. If we get a fifth one out of Harrison we will be lucky. After that, or even now, no more Indy forever?!!! I don't like that idea. And there's no use talking about how if Tom Selleck had been Indy how different it would have been. shoulda woulda coulda. Let's talk about what's possible, feasible and desirable. If you don't desire a replacement of Harrison, that's fine, but the thread topic is looking for ideas for a new Indy actor.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #139
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Indiana Jones, like James Bond, is formulaic. An adventuring archaeologist with an academic side chasing the prize against typical foes, getting the girl, losing the prize, sometimes losing the girl. Of course someone else can do it. And I don't want something similar, I want Indiana Jones. If we get a fifth one out of Harrison we will be lucky. After that, or even now, no more Indy forever?!!! I don't like that idea. And there's no use talking about how if Tom Selleck had been Indy how different it would have been. shoulda woulda coulda. Let's talk about what's possible, feasible and desirable. If you don't desire a replacement of Harrison, that's fine, but the thread topic is looking for ideas for a new Indy actor.

I know the thread topic and I don't think any actor should play the role but Harrison. Period. Anything is possible but I don't find it feasible or desirable. And my point with Selleck was anyone could play the part, but can anyone else own it like Harrison. I feel the answer is no so Indy should be left alone after Harrison. Create a new adventure character instead of possibly ruining a classic one.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #140
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Getting back on track, Eric Bana has been mentioned. I think he might do a good job. He certainly can muster up the ruggedness and could have a suave side too. I'm not favouring him because he's a fellow Aussie, in fact I wouldn't want Indy to have an Australian accent! But I'm sure Eric could modulate his voice. Eric turns a youthful 44 this year so he has some time to do Indy if that realm of possibility ever came his way sooner than later.

But we would want someone even younger of course to be an Indy in the 1920s and 1930s. An actor about 30yo would be preferable to be able to get a few movies out of. Ah, all this speculation is a lovely fiction, isn't it?
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #141
EddyW
IndyFan
 
EddyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 190
That was me mentioning Bana (and maybe others, I don't know). I still see him as a good candidate, he just has the same kind of vibe as Harrison. He's manly, but not in a fashion model kind of way, he can be tough and gritty, but also classy and even nerdish. And he just looks enough like Ford.

Yes, I know the costume is wrong, but still:

EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #142
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
EddyW from the Netherlands! I should have known it would be a Dutchman making a good suggestion. I'm half Dutch myself. I even have a Netherlands passport.

My only concern about Eric is his age. I think of the opportunity missed by not making more Indiana Jones pics through the 90s and into the 00s with Harrison. I think even Spielberg made a remark to that effect. At least they did the 5th even if it was questionable in a few ways.

If they chose the right actor they could start a new series, so to speak, that stretches through the 1920s and 1930s. Who knows, there could be 4 or 5 good Indy flicks to be had that way. But for this, Eric would be too old. I would rather see someone playing Indy who could be available for a big commitment and with whom the audience could develop a good relationship.

Harrison captured the era of 1981 to 2008, or 1935 to 1957. A new actor could fill the Indiana Jones timeline from the early 1920s up to the mid 1930s. Revisiting the intrigue of those decades surely has to be mine of great adventures.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #143
mikieson
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
There is no way around it..Using someone else to play Indy is just wrong. Its like getting someone else to make new Rocky movies. I just cant fathom the idea. HF is INDY..thats that. You get someone else and you will try and compare him to HF every time you see him. You wont like it..
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #144
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson
There is no way around it..Using someone else to play Indy is just wrong. Its like getting someone else to make new Rocky movies. I just cant fathom the idea. HF is INDY..thats that. You get someone else and you will try and compare him to HF every time you see him. You wont like it..

I am sure producers said the same thing when Connery said he was quitting Bond in 1967.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #145
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Not continuing the role of Indiana Jones will be wrong. If there is a fifth from GL, SS and HF, I don't expect it to be much better than CS. I'd like to be proven wrong on that account. This is all just wishful thinking, but i wish George would permit a reboot with a younger actor to get some good stories out of the 1920s and 1930s and that a team with the balls that they had back in the 1980s would make the new flicks.

Comparing the situation to Rocky is not right. The difference is that people will not want to see movie after movie of Rocky getting his head pummeled. I mean, how many different stories can you get out of that anyway?! The world of Indiana Jones, though, has so much potential for many more fantastic adventures without getting stale. Because the world of Indiana Jones is bound up in history, adventure and questing, the sky is the limit.

But I know, you are talking about the replacement of the lead character and thus possibly destroying (or otherwise) the legacy. Again, I don't think the role has been made so sacred by Harry that someone else couldn't do it and do it well AND have it accepted by the viewing audience. I can't see a single reason why it wouldn't work.

I think Harry is almost too old now to do another one without that impacting negatively on the legacy. If what I propose became manifest, we would have the same loved character back to please more young audiences with someone who can realistically be an adventuring and womanising rogue such as we had in the 1980s.

I'd like to actually hear why Harry can't be replaced. No one has given a reason. They've given poor analogies, but no real reason that explains anything other than their emotional attachment to Harrison, which I can understand but would not want to limit myself to.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #146
mikieson
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Not continuing the role of Indiana Jones will be wrong. If there is a fifth from GL, SS and HF, I don't expect it to be much better than CS. I'd like to be proven wrong on that account. This is all just wishful thinking, but i wish George would permit a reboot with a younger actor to get some good stories out of the 1920s and 1930s and that a team with the balls that they had back in the 1980s would make the new flicks.

Comparing the situation to Rocky is not right. The difference is that people will not want to see movie after movie of Rocky getting his head pummeled. I mean, how many different stories can you get out of that anyway?! The world of Indiana Jones, though, has so much potential for many more fantastic adventures without getting stale. Because the world of Indiana Jones is bound up in history, adventure and questing, the sky is the limit.

But I know, you are talking about the replacement of the lead character and thus possibly destroying (or otherwise) the legacy. Again, I don't think the role has been made so sacred by Harry that someone else couldn't do it and do it well AND have it accepted by the viewing audience. I can't see a single reason why it wouldn't work.

I think Harry is almost too old now to do another one without that impacting negatively on the legacy. If what I propose became manifest, we would have the same loved character back to please more young audiences with someone who can realistically be an adventuring and womanising rogue such as we had in the 1980s.

I'd like to actually hear why Harry can't be replaced. No one has given a reason. They've given poor analogies, but no real reason that explains anything other than their emotional attachment to Harrison, which I can understand but would not want to limit myself to.
Well I guess if you want just a ball park answer...Anyone can be replaced. Its just a question of "if they should be" OR "why"..

Sure HF can be replaced, but in the hearts of MILLIONS it wont work. He just simply IS Indiana Jones. When you have someone that is known for such an iconic character its almost impossible to replace them.

Again...anyone can be replaced...but its not always wise..As for 007...they were different people for the reason of....they retired from their job OR killed or whatever..and had to be replaced with another 007..Its not just a "one person role"...Indy is a one person role.

I know we'll never really see eye to eye with this and its ok..heck some people just see things differently.

OH one more thing...Im a HUGE LOSTIE "Lost fan"...HUGE...watch it back to back 5x now..listen to the music,watch clips,download pics ect ect..and some people have wanted them to make a new LOST..I say NO to that as noone will ever do it right after the original..no way , no how..
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #147
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
If they can be replaced they should be. Why: There's too much good stuff to come to just ignore it because Harry was the original Indiana Jones.

We won't see eye to eye on this. That's alright. But if they do a reboot in the future would you go see it?
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #148
mikieson
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
If they can be replaced they should be. Why: There's too much good stuff to come to just ignore it because Harry was the original Indiana Jones.

We won't see eye to eye on this. That's alright. But if they do a reboot in the future would you go see it?
It would depend on the person they get and even then the whole time watching I would be comparing him to HF.

Case in point...Superman is Christopher Reeves..100%..He had such a respectful, large, impression..he took Superman and owned it..BUT..I have to say I really liked the guy they got for Superman Returns. He almost was a perfect Christopher Reeves replacement. He was so humble,quiet,had that perfect look and totally gave "what I feel" respect to the man..

NOW...IF...IF..they can do that with Indy..maybe there would be a slight chance I could give in..but, that is a BIG maybe..Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE more Indy movies..but the hardcore in me says...NO..I dont want another person playing Indy..Maybe we'll see...maybe not..??..Im waiting for IndyV..then after that...whatever..
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #149
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Yes, Harry set the bar high, yes we love him as Indy and maybe someone else can do their own good take on Indy. He won't be Harry, but he might be good. It's all up to GL anyway. Our viewing destiny lies in his hands...
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #150
Supernatural
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 95
Look at it this way:

Many people consider Connery to be the best Bond, but does that mean we should have stopped Bond after he left? Sure you can say that, but if we had, we wouldn't have Brosnan and Craig.

I just want to point out replacing the original cast of Star trek was considered blasphemy. But it was necessary. The new movie was great.

Do I want to see an Indy movy without Indy? No. But you never know.

Just for the record, I hate reboots. I wouldn't want one. I wouldn't want a remake or a reimagining. It can just fill in the gaps, like the series did.

We still have half of the forties to have fun with nazis after Last Crusade.

Fun with nazis?
Supernatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.