TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Dr._Jones
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 43
Did they find the holy grail?

I remember a few years back watching the history channel about finding the holy grail. Many people claim it is in the support beam of a medieval church. The only problem was that the church wouldnt give anybody the oppurtunity to break open the beam. They scanned it and know theres something in there but there not allowed to open it. Another person claims to have a piece of it in there house and they use it to cure people locally by giving them drinks from it. I was wondering if anybody else knew any theories about where the holy grail is and if anybody knew any more on these two theories.
Dr._Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
Well I don't think there's such thing as a "holy grail" I mean they say it's the cup Jesus drank fro mat the last supper and if you drink from you live forever, yeah right! Jesus drank out of tons of cups in His life that would mean ther's lots of holy cups I guess. There's no holy grail.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
No Ticket
IndyFan
 
No Ticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South America, 1936
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raiders
Well I don't think there's such thing as a "holy grail" I mean they say it's the cup Jesus drank fro mat the last supper and if you drink from you live forever, yeah right! Jesus drank out of tons of cups in His life that would mean ther's lots of holy cups I guess. There's no holy grail.

I thought it had to do with catching his blood in it or something along those lines. Not just that he drank from it.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
I thought it had to do with catching his blood in it or something along those lines. Not just that he drank from it.


I'm not sure but I still don't beleive in a holy grail, only Christ Himself.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
No Ticket
IndyFan
 
No Ticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South America, 1936
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raiders
I'm not sure but I still don't beleive in a holy grail, only Christ Himself.

Well the Holy Grail doesn't exist... but I'm just saying, that's what the story says... it has to do with the cup catching his blood. I bet Wikipedia could straighten all this out, lol.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Travis85
IndyFan
 
Travis85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 152
The Legend is that the cup Jesus drank from at the last supper was used to catch his blood after the roman stabbed him in the ribs with the spear, which itself is a legendary artifact known as the spear of destiny . Who knows if the cup exists, or if his blood was really caught in it or not, it doesn't specify the holly grail in the Bible, and mainly is part of Catholic stories past down over the years. Then you have that obserd Da vinci Code book/movie that claims the 'holy grail' is Jesus descendants :P.
Travis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
Well the Holy Grail doesn't exist... but I'm just saying, that's what the story says... it has to do with the cup catching his blood. I bet Wikipedia could straighten all this out, lol.


Lol, yeah probably.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
fixer79
IndyFan
 
fixer79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 741
Check out this shortlived thread...

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=10836
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Perhilion
IndyFan
 
Perhilion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 719
It seems odd that someone, let alone Jesus' mother would catch his blood in a cup while he was dying on the cross. Then again, maybe not. I don't know if there really is a grail. I'd like to believe there is. The problem is that outside of legend there hasn't been any reference to the grail as being real. But all legends are based on fact, so who knows? If Jesus' blood was caught in a cup, it makes sense the Christians would keep the cup throughout the ages, like the Spear. And like the Spear, there are several churches that claim to hold the true grail.
Quote:
Well the Holy Grail doesn't exist...
What makes you so sure?
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Dr._Jones
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 43
it doesnt matter if you belive in it or not. I was wondering if you guys knew any other theories of where the grail might be... not to be rude.
Dr._Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Niteshade007
IndyFan
 
Niteshade007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhilion
It seems odd that someone, let alone Jesus' mother would catch his blood in a cup while he was dying on the cross. Then again, maybe not. I don't know if there really is a grail. I'd like to believe there is. The problem is that outside of legend there hasn't been any reference to the grail as being real. But all legends are based on fact, so who knows? If Jesus' blood was caught in a cup, it makes sense the Christians would keep the cup throughout the ages, like the Spear. And like the Spear, there are several churches that claim to hold the true grail.

I agree, it seems odd that someone would take a cup from dinner earlier that evening, carry it along, and then use to catch some blood. Just odd events that don't really make sense.

I don't think the grail exists anymore. It was probably just a cup, destroyed years ago. I mean, who keep around a cup from that long ago? I suppose its possible, but highly unlikely. And of course, all of this is assuming you believe in the story of Jesus anyway.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
And of course, all of this is assuming you believe in the story of Jesus anyway.
How can you not believe in the story of a man claiming to be the son of God being killed on a cross? People have claimed to be the son of God all down through history, from the pharoahs to Charles Manson. And thousands were crucified in Roman times. So, what is so hard to believe that Jesus existed and that a cup caught his blood, whether you believe he is the son of God or not?
I'm not saying it still exists, or even that it has powers, but it's plausible that a cup probably did catch his blood after he was speared.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
I beleive in the story of Jesus, and I beleive in Him. Many have come saying they are the son of God but Jesus really is. I mean look at the impact He made, whether you beleive in Him ot not He is still being talked about, being a Christian can have you killed in some parts of the world, I mean think about, can get you killed Jesus was crucified 2000 years ago and He still intimidates people.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
Niteshade007
IndyFan
 
Niteshade007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
How can you not believe in the story of a man claiming to be the son of God being killed on a cross? People have claimed to be the son of God all down through history, from the pharoahs to Charles Manson. And thousands were crucified in Roman times. So, what is so hard to believe that Jesus existed and that a cup caught his blood, whether you believe he is the son of God or not?
I'm not saying it still exists, or even that it has powers, but it's plausible that a cup probably did catch his blood after he was speared.

It's certainly plausible, but I don't find it very probable that a cup from dinner was carried around for hours and then used to catch his blood. I'm not denying that it did happen, I'm just pointing out the possibility that it didn't.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #15
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raiders
I beleive in the story of Jesus, and I beleive in Him. Many have come saying they are the son of God but Jesus really is. I mean look at the impact He made, whether you beleive in Him ot not He is still being talked about, being a Christian can have you killed in some parts of the world, I mean think about, can get you killed Jesus was crucified 2000 years ago and He still intimidates people.
You know, there's a saying involving a whole lot of flies and some cow manure...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
Perhilion
IndyFan
 
Perhilion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 719
Yeah, that's not offensive.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
People can make some pretty strong arguments for the plausibility of Christianity, but "a billion people can't be wrong" isn't one of them.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
adventure_al
IndyFan
 
adventure_al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 577
I think it is pretty safe to say that Jesus definately existed, there is so much historical evidence to back that up. So to say jesus didn't walk this earth is just ignorant really. Wether he is the divine or the Messiah is another question all together.
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
IndySeven
IndyFan
 
IndySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 872
How about I go on a little trek to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon to straighten this all out!
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
It's certainly plausible, but I don't find it very probable that a cup from dinner was carried around for hours and then used to catch his blood. I'm not denying that it did happen, I'm just pointing out the possibility that it didn't.
That's fine. I agree with you. It was the doubting about the story of Jesus's existence that made me question your words.
I think that it is plausible that the Holy Grail as we know it entered mythology as either the cup that caught his blood or the cup that he drank from. Then the second part of the myth might have been added, whichever part came later.
I would say that the origin of the Grail in mythology probably evolved from either of these:
-The story of magic cauldrons appearing in the Celtic tales of King Arthur and then being changed to something Christian along with his story changing to something Christian.
-Or, as often happened, a native of the Holy Land selling a fake relic to a pilgrim. In this case, the relic would have been a cup that was supposedly the Cup of Christ, just like chunks of wood were claimed to be pieces of the "True Cross."

Quote:
...but "a billion people can't be wrong" isn't one of them.
I don't recall that being mentioned by anyone here. If you want some true arguments for Christianity, I'll be happy to supply, though not in this thread for fear of being put in the "sin bin" for being off topic.

Quote:
You know, there's a saying involving a whole lot of flies and some cow manure...
In this case, Agnostiscm is the manure and you are a fly.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #21
IndySeven
IndyFan
 
IndySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 872
The Grail is probably in an ancient temple someplace in the Middle East. It would be interesting to find out where it really is.
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySeven
The Grail is probably in an ancient temple someplace in the Middle East. It would be interesting to find out where it really is.
Don't take this wrong, but the evidence that the Grail exists is weaker than the evidence that Indiana Jones exists.
I am a Christian and I don't think that it exists, at least not now. It did exist, at one time, because Jesus did drink at the last supper. But that was 2000 years ago!
English literature invented the Grail as we know it today. The chances that it still exists in a recognizable form are like .01%
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #23
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Too late to edit, so:
"The connection of Joseph of Arimathea with the Grail legend dates from Robert de Boron's Joseph d'Arimathie (late 12th century) in which Joseph receives the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it with his followers to Great Britain; building upon this theme, later writers recounted how Joseph used the Grail to catch Christ's blood while interring him and that in Britain he founded a line of guardians to keep it safe. The quest for the Holy Grail makes up an important segment of the Arthurian cycle, appearing first in works by Chrétien de Troyes. The legend may combine Christian lore with a Celtic myth of a cauldron endowed with special powers.
The development of the Grail legend has been traced in detail by cultural historians: It is a legend which first came together in the form of written romances, deriving perhaps from some pre-Christian folklore hints, in the later 12th and early 13th centuries. The early Grail romances centered on Percival and were woven into the more general Arthurian fabric." - Wikipedia
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
Perhilion
IndyFan
 
Perhilion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySeven
How about I go on a little trek to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon to straighten this all out!
Great, can I come?
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #25
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
I don't recall that being mentioned by anyone here.
Now my young friend, no one said it word by word, but if you read the message I quoted recently, you'll notice that's exactly what it says, just in other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
English literature invented the Grail as we know it today. The chances that it still exists in a recognizable form are like .01%
Funny, how something similar can be said about all of Biblical history.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.