Darkening the Todd's bag strap??

IndyJoey

Hey everyone, i was wondering if there was any way to darken the MKVII Strap that you can get from todds... I have one, and its a light brown color, but i want it to be a dark brown... Do you think pecards would work? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Indy Byrd

i made my own bag strap from a 1" strip I bought on eBay with the LC buckle I got from Wade Egan. I put pecards on it, but it didn't darken it very much. To get it to the color I wanted, I took it to my local tack shop and they dyed it a dark brown color for like 1.50. All in all I have close to 14.00 in my strap.

Goodeknight

Like whips, it'll probably darken over time. If you want to dye it, a buck fifty is pretty cheap. If you DIY, then I suggest first using acetone (tate?) first to get the slick finish off the belt. Once dry it will be more ready to accept a stain. If it's a new strap with a nice finish, it won't suck up the stain unless you strip that off first.

And if you've already hit it with Pecards, then it won't be soaking in *any* stain at all. Every little pore is filled with Pecards.

I had a very light, very old holster that I darkened nicely with a dark brown shoe refinisher thing I got at Wal-Mart. The kind you use to refurbish old shoes. Looks like crap on my shoes. Looks great on the holster.

Indy Byrd

Before the tack shop dyed it, they asked me what I'd put on it and I told them. He put something on a rag and then proceeded to scrub it for about 10-15 minutes and the rag when from white to brown and it looked like it did when I first got it. He then dyed it a "bison brown" color which almost looks black in some lights like the TOD and LC straps did.

I tried to use shoe polish/refinish like you did and it rubbed off easily and did not look as nice as I'd like it to have.

Goodeknight

IndyJoey said:
So if i do it myself, i should use acetone, then pecards? or then a different stain?

I don't think Pecards will do much for you. It darkens dry leather a bit, but it won't look much different on a good, new strap.

Acetone first, then a stain. Two coats if you like. Let it soak in for a few days and thoroughly dry out. Then Pecards.

Like IndyByrd said, the rag with the acetone on it will come out looking brown, but don't worry. You have to get the finish off before it will accept any stain. When the finish comes off, you'll be taking some of the original stain out, too.