Nefertiti's Earthy remains found?

Finn

Staff member
A British archaeologist team claims that they may have found the mummy of the most famous woman in the ancient Egypt, Queen Nefertiti.

"A group of scientists believe that she is one of three mummies discovered in a secret chamber of a tomb known as KV35 in Egypt's Valley of the Kings in Luxor."

Whole story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2978710.stm

So, looks like another major mummy find. Interesting, because she was found just when there started to be opinions like "there's not really anything to be found in Egypt anymore".

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah I heard that on the news. If it's really her then it would be relly cool. I think they still have to do a DNA test to convince the sceptic scientists.

sttngfan1701d

That is cool, although it makes sense why she was thrown in a cache, she being Akhenaten's wife and all...

Egypt's civilization went on for more than 5000 years, so I think it's silly for people to say that all that's there to be found has been.

If I thought that, I'd be chooseing a different career. I'll be out to prove the naysayers wrong for years to come.

Out of curiosity, what would DNA testing prove? It's not like we have a record of Nefertiti's DNA on file for comparison. They sure as heel didn't bust her in ancient times and put her on file...

bob

Well it is interesting i suppose....

I think the really wonderful thing about Egyptology is unlike so many other countries history specificly ancient with Egypt you have a tangiable link with the great men and women of ancient times rather than just fitting their stories into the artifacts found

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
thegreatimposter said:
Out of curiosity, what would DNA testing prove? It's not like we have a record of Nefertiti's DNA on file for comparison. They sure as heel didn't bust her in ancient times and put her on file...

Now that's a good question. My guess is that we can compare her DNA to the DNA of her reletives and see if there is a possibility that she is linked to them.

jefferies

I don't think that Tut and Neferiti were related. I may be wrong. But the more I think about it, the more I think I remember something about that. Hmmm....

But If they are related, the yes, we do have Tut's DNA on record.

jefferies

OK. I did some quick research and what I found is that his father, Akhenaton WAS married to Neferiti, but she was not Tut's mother.

Well, if Tut truly is her son, then we would have something. But as long as their is doubt, a failing test may mean either Nefertiti is not Tut's true relative, or that it is not Nerfertiti. Whatever the case, a positive match may work in this case.