Votes: 3 7.0%
  • The Last Crusade

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
There was no discernible improvement with the Blu-ray over the DVD in any department. It was the first Blu I picked up, primarily to test it against the quality of the DVD.

To be truthful I only made it half way through before I couldn't take any more - so I've only watched KOTCS two-and-a-half times.

You need to watch it again. With prejudice against the content put aside. It's pretty in HD, unless you have the world's worst home theater.

Toht's Arm

I would hope the Blu-ray looks better. I've only got the DVD, and on my HDTV the titles are distractingly pixellated. I was disappointed with the image generally, if only because I have a couple of recent DVDs that do look good on an HDTV.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
You need to watch it again. With prejudice against the content put aside. It's pretty in HD, unless you have the world's worst home theater.

It was pretty on DVD, too.

It was also pretty boring.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
That's all I'm going for here, 'Tana. It's a beautiful BRD. Get past the hatred and admit that it was a good transfer.

I really don't think there's much difference to see, unless you have something like a 72" tv.

When I watched the Blu-ray I didn't feel I was gaining anything over the DVD. If I played them side by side maybe I'd see an improvement.

I'm not prejudiced against the content. I don't even hate it, since it has some good bits. It just happens to be a poorly constructed movie with a lot going against it. Therefore, as an Indy movie, I think it's highly overrated.

Dr. Gonzo

mikieson said:
I bet if you replaced Shia with another actor...Took out the alien vibe..Took out the jungle swinging and let Indy use his gun people would feel different?

Yeah, seriously, yes it would have been... it would have been an entirely different film had that happened.

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
Yeah, seriously, yes it would have been... it would have been an entirely different film had that happened.

And quite possibly a film worthy of the Indiana Jones name.

Harrison had to work hard in KOTCS. He was out there on his own flying the flag, while all around looked awkward in their roles. Marion, Mutt, Oxley, Mac, Spalko. Bits and pieces brought together, never forming a comfortable whole. It therefore failed to hold my attention.

Better to accept it as an extended dream sequence, or an Old Indy tall tale. As William Burroughs might suggest, having failed to despatch it to the Rewrite department in time, best send it to the It Never Happened department.

Temple Raider

mikieson said:
I bet if you replaced Shia with another actor...Took out the alien vibe..Took out the jungle swinging and let Indy use his gun people would feel different?

Probably, since KOTCS would've been very different and very possibly better.

Archaeos

Montana Smith said:
Better to accept it as an extended dream sequence, or an Old Indy tall tale. As William Burroughs might suggest, having failed to despatch it to the Rewrite department in time, best send it to the It Never Happened department.

I will adopt this as my official line on KOTCS - also like the Burroughs reference in it (y)

Marshall2288

Montana Smith said:
Harrison had to work hard in KOTCS. He was out there on his own flying the flag, while all around looked awkward in their roles. Marion, Mutt, Oxley, Mac, Spalko. Bits and pieces brought together, never forming a comfortable whole. It therefore failed to hold my attention.
This is what bothered me about it. Although I think Marion was good, the rest kinda "phoned in" their performances. Shia played his same role from Transformers just in an Indy movie. Same stupid kid, different decade.

Temple Raider

I think TLC may be my new least favorite of the series, now. I still enjoy it tremendously and love it, but my last viewing of it I just didn't enjoy it as much as the others for some reason. The issues I have with it stuck out majorly last time.

Dr.Jonesy

Temple Raider said:
I think TLC may be my new least favorite of the series, now. I still enjoy it tremendously and love it, but my last viewing of it I just didn't enjoy it as much as the others for some reason. The issues I have with it stuck out majorly last time.

TLC isn't my least favorite, but after not having seen it in a year or so (like the rest of the sequels) I watched it along with the rest about a week or so ago. It actually has gone down a notch for me, though.

KOTCS passed it up for my second favorite. Something about TLC is very dull, to me. Not sure what it is...

Temple Raider

TLC is the only one lacking in creativity to me, sans the trials Indy faces near the end. It feels very deriative of Raiders to the point it's more concerned with replicating a similar storyline instead of trying to be creative and bold like TOD and KOTCS were. For that reason it has a very "been there, done that and done it better" feeling and it's the only IJ film that left me feeling that way. The lack of creativity and the extremely over the top, silly humor bog it down majorly for me.

As I've said, it's still a very entertaining and fun film and I love it, but it doesn't seem quite as awesome anymore to me.

Dr.Jonesy

I think TLC had a great McGuffin and I can tell alot of heart went into the film in its script and direction.

It was the first Indy film that tried to make Indy a 'character' and not just the hero of the film.

My issues with TLC are centered on the fact that it just feels empty even though it's not. It tries too hard to be ROTLA in alot of ways and is almost a non-stop comedy. It also has some pacing issues that the other three films just don't have.

Love it, though!

Temple Raider

I agree. I feel the much more comedic approach makes it feel like the oddball almost out of the four movies, with the other three having their funny moments but not as much as TLC.

mikieson

I dont think ive ever picked apart an Indy movie ever...OR most movies from my childhood actually. No need. Why try and ruin something that is great already? We can pick apart every single movie made and find things we dont like or like and compare them to this movie or that movie..again, why?? Do you want to mess up your vision of what you like? Because thats a quick way to do it..just my opinion.

Dr.Jonesy

mikieson said:
I dont think ive ever picked apart an Indy movie ever...OR most movies from my childhood actually. No need. Why try and ruin something that is great already? We can pick apart every single movie made and find things we dont like or like and compare them to this movie or that movie..again, why?? Do you want to mess up your vision of what you like? Because thats a quick way to do it..just my opinion.

What's wrong with looking at things closely? Picking things apart is what is done on forums.

I can agree that picking apart something you love can mess up your vision of the film, somewhat. Because once you pick it apart, you find faults you didn't know were there. And what is seen cannot be unseen, at that point. I noticed this with TOD, TLC and KOTCS.

Sometimes not knowing every flaw is better for you and your enjoyment of something.