Super 8

Dr. Gonzo

Well a teaser trailer premiered in front of Iron Man 2 and was leaked shortly thereafter. This must be the Spielberg collaboration that you all have been talking about lately.

This teaser doesn't really do much for me though.

Wait its been taken off youtube all ready. That was fast.

I'm sure it'll surface again later.

Dr. Gonzo

Take a look at the teaser before they pull it again.

It reminds me of a cloverfield vibe. don't think its that impressive.

TheMutt92

Set videos, and a BIG casting rumor...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/11/set-footage-from-super-8-and-a-big-cast-rumor/

Videos...

We?ve now got two video clips showing some of the period details being put into the movie, and some military action being taken against?something.

And now for the rumor...

Also, it?s be rumored (emphasis on rumored) that Brad Pitt has been staying in the area. The area is very small, so chances are that IF he is in fact here, he?s attached to this project. But, that is all hearsay.

Now normally I would assume this to be just the usual run of the rumor mill, but a friend of mine who goes to college in the area actually told of this weeks before this report hit, which either means the news has taken awhile to get out, or Brad Pitt is in the movie, or he's just visiting around...

TheMutt92

"Jaws" meets "Close Encounters" meets "ET" meets "The Goonies" by way of "Lost" and Abrams "Star Trek?" Yes, please :D

I have become a huge fan of JJ Abrams so I will be seeing this film for sure. Although, I have to admit I am not sure what to think about it yet.

TheMutt92

http://www.slashfilm.com/japanese-super-8-poster-sells-spielberg/

Now check out this Japanese poster for the film, which might be the most overt piece of Spielberg-ian marketing yet.

Super8-JapanesePosterfullsize-FSnet2-550x815.jpg

TheMutt92

kongisking said:
I'm really, really, really, really, really, really hoping this becomes a modern classic.

Early buzz is suggesting that may be a possibility...

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-jj-abrams-super-8/

Slashfilm: Loved it, they don?t make these types of movies anymore. The best thing I can say about the film is that I loved the characters/setting/tone so much that I probably would have enjoyed it just as much as a Stand By Me-like coming of age drama without the sci-fi/train crash/action. Its one of those films that feels like it was made just for me. (someone asked if its more E.T. or Cloverfield, I responded: It?s Cloverfield with the characters and setting of E.T.

FirstShowing: absolutely loved it, lived up to my high expectations. Felt like watching an Amblin classic. Of course, it?s expected I?d love it, considering how excited I was for it, but yes, it?s that good. Really need to see it again!

Jen Yamato: I enjoyed Super 8′s Goonies vibe; the kids are great. Has its problems, but none are deal breakers for me?though they will be for others.

And one negative...

Devincf: If JJ Abrams ever got a good script he would be an amazing director. SUPER 8 script is a huge mess. SUPER 8 simply has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. Kids are great, looks nice, has no throughline?

TheMutt92

^ If only movie posters could return to their glory days. Except for the wanted poster style of the True Grit poster and a select few others, Photoshopped posters really annoy me. I even prefer the cut and paste still images that posters used to use in the 1970's compared to the floating heads of today.

InVader

I saw it today. I liked it. Reminded me of Jurassic Park meets E.T. meets Goonies. Only thing different was that I wasn't "wowed" by the soundtrack.