Super 8

unklejman

Loved it. Best movie in a long time. Makes me wish JJ was at the helm of Indy 4. In fact there is one scene that is very indyesque.

SPOILER:**********************************************
When the dad/depudy steals the air force uniform, shoots the truck for a distraction (huge explosion) and books it out of there in a jeep.

The whole movie just brought nostalgia for many Spielberg movies of old. Close Encounters meets the Goonies meets the end of Jurassic Park 2. Hah.

HovitosKing

Just saw it, loved it. Not perfect, but damn near so. This was really, really what I was hoping for when I saw Indy IV on opening night at midnight. Tons of nostalgia but still felt new and exciting. I was hugely disappointed with Indy IV, but not with this one. Great film to start the summer with.

michael

unklejman said:
In fact there is one scene that is very indyesque.
When the dad/depudy steals the air force uniform, shoots the truck for a distraction (huge explosion) and books it out of there in a jeep.

The whole movie just brought nostalgia for many Spielberg movies of old. Close Encounters meets the Goonies meets the end of Jurassic Park 2. Hah.

Sooooooooo true about the Indy homage. I felt the same way after seeing that part.

This movie is absolutely fantastic and I adored the ending. I found NO cheese to be involved. This is the reason you go to the movie theaters.

Last edited:
michael said:
HOW DARE YOU ROCKET?!!

all I have to say to that is

*E.T.* voice : "Ooooouuuuccchh."

Hey, I was excited for something different, but it's ET!

Just switch the kids and the government roles.

Tell me it's not.:p

michael

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hey, I was excited for something different, but it's ET!

Just switch the kids and the government roles.

Tell me it's not.:p

I agree. But that's also something I wanted to experience in a theater. Wasn't alive when E.T. was in theaters, but growing up it was one of my favorite movies.

The movie was huge nostalgic rush to me, yet it still holds on it's own IMO with it's story and characters.

I really think I got the experience of watching Super 8 as if I were to watch E.T. back then in theaters.

There is a MAJOR difference between the two films though:
There is basically NO relationship between the alien and kid, which really does separate the two. Also, you're really never rooting for the alien to go home and be safe, except at maybe one point when they finally meet underground, which was a GREAT scene.

Last edited:
michael said:
I agree. But that's also something I wanted to experience in a theater. Wasn't alive when E.T. was in theaters, but growing up it was one of my favorite movies.
Good enough reason to go I guess. The flood of alien movies is just lame though...and this one is SUCH a copy.

michael said:
There is a MAJOR difference between the two films though:
There is basically NO relationship between the alien and kid, which really does separate the two. Also, you're really never rooting for the alien to go home and be safe, except at maybe one point when they finally meet underground, which was a GREAT scene.

Which is why I wrote:
...just switch the kids and the government roles. There is basically NO relationship between the alien and government in ET.

So it's a less touch feely ET for the hyper active generation...

michael

Oh sorry, Rocket, I read it wrong! I thought you meant switch the ACTUAL characters and what not. my bad.

Yeah I get what you're saying, although it's nice to not rely on a remake or some comic book hero to make a thrilling movie. That's always refreshing.

it's like E.T. meets the Goonies...if you thought that E.T. was unlikeable and the Goonies were obnoxious.

Also...FAKE LENS FLARES MAKE ANYTHING LOOK GOOD! (n)

michael said:
except at maybe one point when they finally meet underground, which was a GREAT scene.

Remember when E.T. totally
murdered.
Keys and
some obvious comic-relief woman-in-curlers
before saying goodbye to Elliot? how heartwarming!

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Saw it today. I liked it. Thought it was like a lot of Speilbergs earlier films but not a ET copy by any means. Reminded me of going to the movies in the 80's until your ticket stub reminds you that you just spent $15.75 for one ticket. WTF?

InVader

Henry W Jones said:
Reminded me of going to the movies in the 80's until your ticket stub reminds you that you just spent $15.75 for one ticket.

That's crazy! I only spent $6.25.

Last edited:

unklejman

featofstrength said:
I spent $3.50...way too much for poorly done CGI vomit.

You can't be serious. I mean really, the CGI was used quite sparingly, and it was well done when it was used. The characters were the center of the story, I don't know how you can feel that it wasn't.

unklejman said:
You can't be serious. I mean really, the CGI was used quite sparingly, and it was well done when it was used. The characters were the center of the story, I don't know how you can feel that it wasn't.

no, i meant the part where the kid "vomits" on the bus. terrible CGI.

wonder how much they spent to pay a nerd behind a keyboard to do that instead of just having the kid hold some fake stuff in his mouth before take?

unklejman

Hey I resemble that remark. We use mice too! (and wacom tablets) And VFX artists tend to be more geek than nerd really.

TheMutt92

In my opinion, Super 8 had the potential to become a classic film, but is simply constrained by some of the story/script choices. I don't wanna go into too much detail (yeah I know, a first for me), but if you've seen the film you probably know what I mean. Mostly I suppose it had to do w/ the ending. I just felt the adults did nothing. They set it up like they were going to, but they didn't.

I still immensely enjoyed the film, and its easily one of the best summer films this year (especially considering what's out right now). So I'd recommend seeing it. A solid 4/5.

Henry W Jones

TheMutt92 said:
Mostly I suppose it had to do w/ the ending. I just felt the adults did nothing. They set it up like they were going to, but they didn't.

I still immensely enjoyed the film, and its easily one of the best summer films this year (especially considering what's out right now). So I'd recommend seeing it. A solid 4/5.

You know I remember thinking that watching it to about the adults. "I got you"? But in the older Spielberg flicks the kids parents never do much. They are normally oblivious to what going on. E.T. is a prime example and the same scenario as far as a single parent with too much going on to really see what the kids are doing. The kids are supposed to be the hero's anyway. I really liked it.

TheMutt92

Henry W Jones said:
You know I remember thinking that watching it to about the adults. "I got you"? But in the older Spielberg flicks the kids parents never do much. They are normally oblivious to what going on. E.T. is a prime example and the same scenario as far as a single parent with too much going on to really see what the kids are doing. The kids are supposed to be the hero's anyway. I really liked it.

That's not my problem. It's that the lead character's cop father (who, if were relating to other Spielberg films, is basically Brody from Jaws) says to Alice's father "Let's get our kids back" or something to that effect, suggesting they might save them or at least be their for the action. But instead they pull up in the end when everyone is watching the monster.