The Stranglers of Bombay

Stephen Jared

Just a heads-up to anyone who might be interested: TCM is playing a film this FRI about the Thuggee cult in India. I watched it a few years ago wanting to see anything that might resemble Temple of Doom. I thought it was entertaining, well worth checking out. It's a low budget 1960 Hammer production, can't compete with Gunga Din or Indiana Jones but it's still fun. The Stranglers of Bombay.

Stoo

Hi, Stephen. I posted the trailer in this thread: Thuggee - Fact & Fiction but it's worth re-posting here. I don't get TCM and am wondering if they're going to show the edited or the full version.

If anyone is going to record this, I would LOVE to get a copy! PLEASE contact me if someone does!:D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Qc92iI-Sig&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Qc92iI-Sig&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Le Saboteur

Thanks for sharing, Stephen! I've been looking forward to seeing this for a while now.

Stoo said:
If anyone is going to record this, I would LOVE to get a copy! PLEASE contact me if someone does!

I'll let you know, Stoo. I need to find a new tape, and I'll see what I can do.

Stoo

@Le Saboteur: That would be great if you could, Sabo. Perfect payback for the Corto Maltese DVD (which I still haven't mailed to you.:eek:)

I justed checked the TCM schedule and it's playing tonight in both the U.S. & Canada at 10:00pm (PST) / 1:00am (ET).

Gotta love how the trailer says it was filmed in STRANGLOSCOPE!:dead:

An unofficial prequel! I just watched it (just finished it)...a bald Kali worshiping Thuggee cult leader, hmmm....sound familiar? no heart ripping, but eye gouging and de-handing! I just wish the thuggee in ToD used a silk band...

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Hi, Stephen. I posted the trailer in this thread: Thuggee - Fact & Fiction but it's worth re-posting here. I don't get TCM and am wondering if they're going to show the edited or the full version.

If anyone is going to record this, I would LOVE to get a copy! PLEASE contact me if someone does!:D

"Strangloscope"......hilarious! Anyway, it can be had on dvd, you know, along with The Devil-Ship Pirates, The Pirates of Blood River, & The Terror of the Tongs. All for the tidy sum of $14 (US).

uKY5trBwI6wAezBK02Y2F3nvV2Rzcdw6brsmgX0Yxe6ImDMjdLhPJHHTt6Pcz_hPH6UMTKtMBI8BdeXJtYW4Iam-1GAgtk4lgps69YBqyjn3IeOvqIRPmiLcWozcikjG47nZEkRTqMehTFntkP7mcA17h01s-mRwEsR8otAFkOjL4yx6qnc

As long as we are on the topic of the Thuggee, have any of you seen this one?
1467dece.jpg

I read a very promising review of it....

Stephen Jared

I can make DVD copies of Stranglers if anyone needs one. I don't know anything about what will play in one place but won't in another. If you record onto a blank DVD from TV, does the region 1 or 2 matter? I don't know.

The Deceivers I've seen. I found it disappointing. Just my opinion. I watched it a couple times though, thinking my initial reaction may have been too harsh. I've read the John Masters book it's based on, which is really good. I'm a big fan of Pierce Brosnan. Nicholas Meyer directed it -- did Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. And it's Thuggees in India! Hard not to be hopeful. The subject matter is pulpy adventure stuff, but it seemed the filmmakers made every effort to shy away from that, wanting instead to make a serious movie. That's just my opinion. Someone else could easily feel differently.

Stoo

ddschneider1972 said:
An unofficial prequel! I just watched it (just finished it)...a bald Kali worshiping Thuggee cult leader, hmmm....sound familiar? no heart ripping, but eye gouging and de-handing! I just wish the thuggee in ToD used a silk band...
In filmdom, one can count at least 3 bald-headed Thug leaders: "Gunga Din", "Stranglers" and "Temple of Doom"...and, yes, it would've been better if the the wire garotte in "Doom" was cloth (although I didn't know nor care back in '84). Glad you watched the film, dd!:)
Indy's brother said:
Anyway, it can be had on dvd, you know,...
FINALLY. It's about time! Thanks for the info, Indy's bro'!(y) Have you seen "Stranglers"? If so, what did you think?
Indy's brother said:
As long as we are on the topic of the Thuggee, have any of you seen this one?
1467dece.jpg
But, of course. It's been in my collection for almost 20 years! I posted the trailer in the Thuggee - Fact & Fiction thread and have mentioned it elsewhere before but no one ever replied. (The lack of interest may be due to the fact that it bears no relation to video games, comic-book-super-heroes, Ghostbusters or Disney.):p:whip:
Stephen Jared said:
The subject matter is pulpy adventure stuff, but it seemed the filmmakers made every effort to shy away from that, wanting instead to make a serious movie. That's just my opinion. Someone else could easily feel differently.
Stephen, I heartily disagree. The subject matter is historical and I'm glad that this film was made. Even though the main characters are fictional, it's a more accurate portrayal of the REAL events compared to other Thuggee 'pulp adventures'. It's not a perfect film but is highly recommended for anyone interested in the actual history. (Though, despite the sensationalism of "Stranglers", that film would be next in line.)

The only, major downside to "The Deceivers" is that it wasn't filmed in STRANGLOSCOPE like "The Stranglers of Bombay" was!:p

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
FINALLY. It's about time! Thanks for the info, Indy's bro'!(y) Have you seen "Stranglers"? If so, what did you think?

No problem, and no, I've never seen it. It looks interesting, though. The guy jumping off the gallows was surely a shocking scene in it's day! I thought it was pretty bold by today's standards. I'd be interested in an Indy-style fan-edited trailer should you become inspired some day...;)

Stephen Jared

There's another Pierce Brosnan film with Thuggees. I've been a massive fan of this film for a couple decades: Around The World In Eighty Days. It was a TV mini-series. It remains true to the novel. The David Niven version is a bore by comparison. If anyone has not seen it, I highly recommend.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
I'd be interested in an Indy-style fan-edited trailer should you become inspired some day...;)
Great fodder for another shot-by-shot comparison!;)

@Stephen Jared: Being a big Jules Verne fan, I also have the Brosnan version of "Around the World in 80 Days". The problem with the portrayal of the Thuggee in it (and the D.Niven + various animated versions) is that they don't do anything Thug-ish. The ritual of sati/suttee is a completely unrelated practice so Verne kind of messed up there. (Although in the Brosnan version, they do carry a statue of Kali.)

Did anyone else bother watching "Stranglers of Bombay" on TCM the other night?:confused:

Stoo

The Mystery of Thug Island

Woo-Hoo! Another movie about the Thuggee in my collection!(y)

"The Mystery of Thug Island" (a.k.a. "Kidnapped to Mystery Island") is a 1965 film based on Italy's prolific, adventure writer, Emilio Salgari's novel, "The Mystery of the Black Jungle" ("I misteri della jungla nera"). For those familiar with the Sandokan stories, Salgari is the same author.

The film bears a few similarities to "Temple of Doom": An underground Thuggee lair with a network of caverns & tunnels, a secret entrance into the cave complex, a large worshipping area complete with a Kali statue/altar (no lava pit, though) plus a room with a trap! The finale features a battle between the Thugs against Indian troops led by a British captain.

It's in colour but uses tinted black & white footage of the mongoose/snake fight from Hammer's "Stranglers of Bombay"!

Even though this is an Italian movie, made by an Italian cast & crew, famous American cowboy actor, Guy Madison, plays the Thug leader. It's obvious that this was filmed in English and later dubbed over. An English version was released (the credits on my version are in English) and I want it!

Now I need to track down the earlier Italian films based on the same story, "Killers of the East", and its sequel, "Black Devils of Kali" (both from 1954).

@Stephen Jared: Keep your eye out for this one!

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
"Strangloscope"......hilarious! Anyway, it can be had on dvd, you know, along with The Devil-Ship Pirates, The Pirates of Blood River, & The Terror of the Tongs. All for the tidy sum of $14 (US).

uKY5trBwI6wAezBK02Y2F3nvV2Rzcdw6brsmgX0Yxe6ImDMjdLhPJHHTt6Pcz_hPH6UMTKtMBI8BdeXJtYW4Iam-1GAgtk4lgps69YBqyjn3IeOvqIRPmiLcWozcikjG47nZEkRTqMehTFntkP7mcA17h01s-mRwEsR8otAFkOjL4yx6qnc
During the holidays, I finally picked up the DVD set that contains "Stranglers of Bombay"!(y) Found it at my favourite video store, Vintage Video, in Toronto. Problem is that I paid $49 for it!

Anyway, the store is a genre-movie lover's paradise: http://www.vintagevideocanada.com

Stoo

Stoo said:
Now I need to track down the earlier Italian films based on the same story, "Killers of the East", and its sequel, "Black Devils of Kali" (both from 1954).
I'm probably talking to myself but...I *finally* got "Black Devils of Kali" (Italian title: "La vendetta dei Tughs")!(y)

("Temple of Doom" fans, please take note.):whip:

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
I'm probably talking to myself but...

Only part of the time. Promise.

stranglers-of-bombay-1.jpg

I had occasion to see this while the site was down. While the debt Temple of Doom owes to Stranglers is obvious, it's only okay as a movie. The latter half of the picture relies too heavily on plot device and convenience to reach its conclusion. Of the Thugee-esque pictures I've seen from that era Gunga Din is the superior movie going experience.

Stranglers does, however, succeed as cultural and historical footnote. Nowhere else have the Thugs been so... realistically portrayed. In a quick couple of minutes we know who they are, why they prefer the silk cloth garrote, and their methodology. The curious sort would be compelled to go out and read more.

Three out of Five Stars for me.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
I had occasion to see this while the site was down.
HOORAY! So glad that you finally had the chance to see the movie and, as a result, you prompted me to watch it again.:D 'Tis a small, early Hammer film but it's well done. Personally, I think it's more than just "okay". My favourite scene is when the squad of Lancers pursue & capture the 2 dacoits.

How did you watch it? The DVD quality is great with a sharp & crisp, widescreen picture. It includes the trailer and audio commentary by the film's writer, David Z. Goodman.
Le Saboteur said:
Nowhere else have the Thugs been so... realistically portrayed.
A lot of the Thug details are spot-on (right down to the omens of the animal world), however, there are some historical faults (the method of burying the victims & the killing of Europeans). The East India Company's uniforms are close enough but their sidearms are too modern. There's even an early Gatling gun in the village which the British didn't start using until 1879. It shouldn't be there by about 50 years!

The only other Thug film that I've seen which is as equally accurate is, "The Deceivers". Even though it delves deeper into Thuggee culture, "Stranglers" is still the better movie overall.
Le Saboteur said:
the silk cloth garrote
The rumal (which is never shown in "Temple of Doom" because that's the LEAST accurate Thug movie)!

I strongly urge everyone here to check out "Stranglers of Bombay". Hopefully, it won't take another 5 years before *1* other person posts a review!:eek:

Le Saboteur

I'm not supposed to be posting here, damnit.

Stoo said:
HOORAY! So glad that you finally had the chance to see the movie and, as a result, you prompted me to watch it again.:D 'Tis a small, early Hammer film but it's well done. Personally, I think it's more than just "okay". My favourite scene is when the squad of Lancers pursue & capture the 2 dacoits.

I was surprised to see the Hammer logo going in, but afterwards I could see the appeal. I'd be keen on seeing what Hammer would have done with the story after they had matured a bit as a studio.

I don't dislike the movie, but it lost me right after the epic battle between mammal and reptile. There needed to be...well, more right around there. That said, I thought the camp sequence was exceptionally well done.

stranglers4.jpg

Stoo said:
How did you watch it? The DVD quality is great with a sharp & crisp, widescreen picture. It includes the trailer and audio commentary by the film's writer, David Z. Goodman.

On DVD paired with Terror of the Tongs! They certainly did an excellent job on the restoration work: the picture quality was excellent, but I was particularly pleased with the soundtrack. Very robust. Especially for a film that probably wasn't taken care of very well.

Unfortunately it was only a rental so I didn't get a chance to check out the commentary track, but I would definitely be interested in seeing what M. Goodman has to say about the picture. Maybe he can explain why Marie Devereux was in the movie?! She was just kinda there. And as enjoyable as gratuitous nudity is, I wanted a bit of backstory.

stranglers7.jpg

Bring on the Nubiles!

Stoo said:
The only other Thug film that I've seen which is as equally accurate is, "The Deceivers". Even though it delves deeper into Thuggee culture, "Stranglers" is still the better movie overall.

I'm fighting a losing rear action against the year 2009, but The Deceivers is in my queue as well. Once I catch up with me regular viewing material, I'll probably bump this to the top of the list.

Stoo said:
The rumal (which is never shown in "Temple of Doom" because that's the LEAST accurate Thug movie)!

Yeah, that's it! I was grasping for the proper name while typing my original post out and finally went with garrote. I should have looked it up!

Stoo said:
I strongly urge everyone here to check out "Stranglers of Bombay". Hopefully, it won't take another 5 years before *1* other person posts a review!:eek:

I'll second that motion! It's a rather quick watch at ~90-minutes, so it won't interfere with your regular teevee viewing.