Goodfellas 25th Anniversary

Joe Brody

14GOODFELLASUB1-master675-v2.jpg

Interesting little piece in The New York Times.

Sorvino (who know Uncle Paulie was so deep?) and Liotta's stuff is the most interesting, especially this:

Ray Liotta (who played Henry Hill): I was on the second floor of the Excelsior Hotel [at the Venice Film Festival]. I looked down, and there was all this commotion and in the middle of it was Marty. He was there with “The Last Temptation of Christ.” I guess he was getting a lot of death threats. I beelined down there. He was surrounded by bodyguards. I started walking toward him. All the bodyguards pushed me off. I just want to say hi to Marty. I think my initial reaction was, “Get your hands off me,” acting like a tough guy, which I’m not. He said that’s when he knew [that Liotta was the one to play Henry Hill].

Man, I can picture that.

Duaner

A lot of people think I'm crazy when I say that "Goodfellas" is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a fine movie, but I just don't think it's the masterpiece that people make it out to be. I think the Oscar voters got it right that year when they voted "Dances with Wolves" as Best Picture over "Goodfellas".