Tomb Raider: The Games

Goodsport

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Yes, I realize that there's another Indy vs. Lara thread, although that one is more of a discussion on who would win in a fight between those two (although I totally agree with Broomhandle Davis in that thread about the absurdity of that question, since although Indy and Lara may either cooperate or compete with each other, they certainly wouldn't fight each other).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp My question is specifically for the two games listed in the title of the thread. I'm still playing Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and am having a blast, but I have yet to play the recently-released Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. Has anyone here played it yet, and if so, would you recommend it? What are the similarities and differences between the two games? And considering (from what little I've heard of it) that the latest Lara Croft game involves more stealth than previous Tomb Raider games, should it instead be compared more to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks! :)

-G

Kumba

Oh, I think I might rent it this week. I'm not a huge fan of Lara Croft, but I did enjoy playing Tomb Raider II, since us Indy fans didn't have that many Indy games to play. It was actually a really nice time. Ahh, I can remember it now; it was the beginning of seventh grade, and the weather was very fine. I read about Infernal Machine in a magazine, and instantly became obsessed, but why? I had never seen the Indy movies before (except when I was like 1, but I didn't remember anything about the movies). I then proceeded to get TRII for the playstation, and that kept me happy, until that day in December when I got Infernal Machine. It was 1999 as I recall. Wonderful game. May it rest in peace....

Arclam

I would rent it. It is suppoded to be horrible. I hear that it is buggy, frame rate problems, long load times, and has bad controls. ( Sounds like PS2 version of ET with even more problems.) If I can get to my friends sometime, I will see how it is. He owns every tomb raider game. I am sure he has this one.

Kumba

Yeah, I'd definetly rent it. Take me for instance; there's this game called "The Getaway" for the PS2. There seems to be some problems with the game, so I thought I'd rent it. You don't want to waste $50 on a game.

Goodsport

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks for the advice, Kumba and Arclam! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It's a shame that the latest Tomb Raider game doesn't seem to be that good - I was really looking forward to seeing her be more stealthy than she was in previous games. :(

-G

Finn

Staff member
Indy ET vs. TR II... (you got me, part I is five episodes long ;) )

Gotta admit... ET won this one, after all.

Kumba

Well, there's one thing the TR games will always have: length. ET is too short. IM was about mid-length. FoA, well, I guess it depended on what path, but it didn't take all that long to beat either. I think the reason the TR games are so lenghty is because they're a lot harder. I actually hate to admit it but I never beat TR II, or any TR games for that matter. However, I got very far in TR II, which like I said earlier was my fav. I think if you're an Indy fan, you should definetly check out a TR game. Not necessarily the Angel of Darkness, but perhaps The Last Revelation (and if you're thinking it's like LC, you're right! You play as young Lara! lol). Another small tidbit, but none-the-less interesting, is that originally the TR character was going to be male, and bared a striking resemblence to Indiana Jones! How do I know this? I'll tell ya! I have the Tomb Raider movie on DVD and there's a special feature that talks about the games. This original male character wore a fedora and khakis. The only thing missing was a whip! and later on a law suit! haha :)

Patrick

I love it when I find a game like that fo only like $14. That's how I got IM. I'm gonna get all of the old Tomb Raiders since I really liked IM. I don't know why people were hating IM for its "Fun" value I enjoyedd it but it could've used a little more "Indy Feel"

Kumba

Yeah, IM actually made you think, unlike SOME games. Also, I like IM's story much much better. For some reason it seems that every single game made these days has to have some part of the game take place in Japan or China. Who cares about those commies or those 'sandle-wearing goldfish tenders'!

omega5ooo

Let's face it. AoD has interactive dialogues and a 2nd playable character.

Though I heard it has a lot of heavy bugs. So... Let's call it a tie.

[Edited by omega5ooo on 07-18-2003 at 02:40 pm]

omega5ooo

BTW... go here http://www.gamesweb.com and look at the movie box in the upper right. You should see a movie about the game, if not, click on a link until it does appear... Now look at it. Two times a Pa-Cheng like thing appears. Four sharp "knifes" are sticking out of it instead of three, still it looks very very similar. One time it's held by Lara and another time by that other playable character, it's glowing then. Also Lara and that guy have to fight "Homonculousess" Now if that isn't a rip-off!!!
mad2.gif

[Edited by omega5ooo on 07-18-2003 at 02:56 pm]

Yolegoman

omega5ooo said:
BTW... go here http://www.gamesweb.com and look at the movie box in the upper right. You should see a movie about the game, if not, click on a link until it does appear... Now look at it. Two times a Pa-Cheng like thing appears. Four sharp "knifes" are sticking out of it instead of three, still it looks very very similar. One time it's held by Lara and another time by that other playable character, it's glowing then. Also Lara and that guy have to fight "Homonculousess" Now if that isn't a rip-off!!!
mad2.gif

[Edited by omega5ooo on 07-18-2003 at 02:56 pm]

LET'S SUE!

For a penny I'd shoot there cheap hides...

Lol.

Yolegoman

indy148

It seems that everyone says that the Controls for ET stink. Well, compared to TombRaider's Controld, they RULE!!!

Patrick

Why do they make the controls so hard. IM's were controls I'd never seen before for a game with that many moves and stuff! all they should've done is add another action key like put "z" and "c" as the fight keys, have "x" the jump key "space" the draw,"s" to roll and "d" for activate? It's not that hard to do that... They could at least let you edit the controls!

Patrick

The LR is almost exactly the same compared to LC for where I am. Aziz is like Donavon and stuff. I like that.

Patrick

Hi guy's! Guessing that we are allowed to discuss Tomb Raider; How do you rope swing in the Last Revelation? I've tried grabbing on and letting go of action and then pressing jump but nothing has worked. I have the PC version and I think it only has 10 levels. I'm not sure though. Both parts noting that were covered by stickers so I thought I was getting the full version oh well. I'm on level 4 (?) which is the burial chambers. I have to get the talisman but I can't get it. If the rope stops moving can you jump or start swinging again? And if you catch on fire can you put yourself out not including jumping into water? Thanks.

Finn

Staff member
Actually, we do not discuss Tomb Raider here... unless we compare them to the Indy games.

And can't really recall a question of yours, 'cos it's been ages I've played the LR...