The Continuing Adventures of Anne and Jack: Indy style adventure film

Maybe.Not Today

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my most recent film with you guys. It's a musical made in the style of a 1930's adventure serial. I wrote and directed this short film as my final project in film school. As an indy fan I couldn't help peppering it with homages to everyones favorite adventurer :hat:

If you watch it I would love feedback:

http://vimeo.com/6638790

Thanks!!

Maybe.Not Today

Thank you so much! I've considered writing a stage musical using the characters, or maybe an animated film or tv pilot.

and thank you to whoever moved this thread to the proper place :D I wasn't sure where to put it.

Stoo

Pretty classy stuff! I found it very enjoyable and you did a great job on the songs. The props & costumes were delicious (right down to Anne's Bake-a-Lite bracelet) and the actress really nailed the snappy, '30s dialogue on the shipdeck. I also really liked the closing harmonies between Anne & Jack but didn't exactly catch the final punchline. Loved the gag with the flatcap. Nice tip o' the hat to Indy.

My only criticism would have to be the opening credits as they looked sub-par compared to the rest.

All around...Mazel tov!:hat:

Maybe.Not Today

Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

I was trying to challenge myself with writing a musical, so I'm very happy that you liked the songs. We had a great team of talented people working on this movie and I still cant believe what a great job our costume designers did with such a non existent, student film budget.

The Final Punchline is:

<span style='background: white; color: white'>"..about that chamber" referring to the treasure chamber Where Arthur Sullivan found the blade.</span>

I understand your Criticism of the opening Credits. Time and budget restraints were a constant battle, trying to make such a large film for a student project. I was shooting for the look of the opening credits to a 1930's serial, with a painted background that was not story specific so it could be used before any film in the series, and all they had to do was dissolve new titles over it.

Stoo

Hi, again. I didn't mean to really criticize the opening credits because I like the idea, it's the font that doesn't grab me. Your opening scene is above & beyond the quality that the title sequence suggests. (The end credits with the sketches are good, though!) However, I do understand the time/budget constraints for a student film so, please, don't get me wrong.:)

IMO, the strongest part is the opening, from the 1st behind-the-bookcase shot to the witty lyrics of the telegram tune (I like the "stop" stuff). The set/props and the interplay between Anne & Jack were very good and you seemed to have more freedom in blocking your shots than in other places (museum, tent).

Two questions:

1) By any chance, did you draw inspiration for the characters' names from Ann Darrow and Jack Driscoll of the original "King Kong"?

2) How hard/easy was it to secure permission to film aboard the ship?

Maybe.Not Today

Thank you again for your kind comments!

You're right, we did have the most time to shoot that first scene.

Actually I wasn't thinking of King Kong when I came up with the names, but that's a cool connection now that you mention it, haha. I've always loved that film. I think I actually came up with Anne and Jack's last names first and then tried on a lot of first names to see which sounded the best, and most like heros in an adventure serial.

The Queen Mary is used for filming pretty often, so they have an office for granting film permission. We were students without any money and they were exceedingly kind to us. Really all it took was a series of conversations with them.

To be honest the hardest part about filming on the ship was convincing my school. They had never had a student film use such a nice/historic location and weren't sure if the insurance would cover it. We filed all the proper paper work, but someone in the insurance office panicked at the last minute. They called us while we were loading equipment the day of the shoot to tell us that, since there was no precedent, they were revoking our permission to film until we filled out additional paperwork..so that took some convincing. Haha. Through sheer luck and a lot of support from the head of production we got them to change their minds. Otherwise the whole project would have run aground, to use an appropriate metaphor.

DocWhiskey

Fantastic job! The production quality is great. And so are the cinematography and locations. Very impressive.
(y) x 10

Maybe.Not Today

Thank you so much Doc! It's great getting feedback from everyone on the raven because I already know you all have great taste in adventure films :)

BuiltFordTough, thanks, the guy who helped me with the initial special effects test is awesome, but I hate him for coming up with such an awesome username. Honestly, I laugh every time.