WS or FS Survey...

Do you perfer widescreen or fullscreen?

• Widescreen all the way!

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Fullscreen, I like a big picture!

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Whatever version I happen to grab off the shelf.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Johan

Ok guy's and gal's...Lets see the numbers. What do you own on DVD or VHS? Widescreen or Fullsceen...maybe both!
I personally have Widescreen, I have to know that I am seeing the whole picture...someday I need a Widescreen TV.

the hammer42

Widescreen DVD.
But I also have a widescreen TV.
Trust me. there is nothing more beautiful then seeing those movies on widescreen with suround sound.

Onya

Widescreen DVD.

On the laptop or the small TV (whose screen is hardly any larger than that of the computer).

Indy Canuck

VHS fs, DVD ws. I wanted to wait until I had a bigger screen, but my giflriend insisted.
Who am I to complain? Hooked it all up to my stereo system...it's really strange when Indy's only six inches tall but you can hear everything surrounding you as if you were there.

Finn

Staff member
It's funny - despite the fact the TV screen is not exactly big one, one still prefers WS any time s/he just is able to. I for one, am one of the sort who's never got distracted by those black areas above and below the screen.

Onya

I used to get distracted by those black areas all the time--I hated DVDs becauses of that... but then... after a while I got used to it... and now I just get widescreen out of habit.

Axel

I have been a fan of Indy since Raiders first came out. I must have seen it 8 times in the movie theaters. I only recently bought a DVD player. A friend lent me her FS box set. We watched all the movies this weekend. It was my 8 year old son's first exposure to the series. He is a big fan now. I definitely will be getting my own box set. I have been trying to decide between FS and WS. The FS was enjoyable, but I couldn't help wondering what the WS would be like. Obviously, the WS would give the image most like the original movie. It seems that most people here also favor WS, so it looks like I will be looking for the WS version. Funny that Wal-Mart only has the FS version. I wonder which version sells the most.

Axel

Katarn07

I get all things on Widescreen but have no WS TV... yet.

Funny story. My sister got me the Matrix 2 on DVD but the FS edition. I returned it just to get the WS version.

Junior Jones

I always get widescreen, because I want to see the whole picture. I once saw a show that compared fullscreen to widescreen. If the cinematography is good, you're going to miss something in fullscreen, because they use the whole movie screen.

Does anyone have any examples of what one misses when watching fullscreen vs widescreen?

I originally watched Raiders of the Lost Ark on fullscreen VHS. In the bar scene with Belloq after Marion is "killed" I never saw them handing around the guns until I got widescreen. That action takes place around the edges and most of got cut off in the fullscreen version.

Katarn07

Junior Jones said:
Does anyone have any examples of what one misses when watching fullscreen vs widescreen?

I originally watched Raiders of the Lost Ark on fullscreen VHS. In the bar scene with Belloq after Marion is "killed" I never saw them handing around the guns until I got widescreen. That action takes place around the edges and most of got cut off in the fullscreen version.

There's a German smoking a cigarrette when Indy and Sallah are making their way to or from (I forget which) the map room to the left that I don't think you see with FS. Little things like that and the gun exchange are really neat things that make an old classic seem new and exciting.

Luckylighter

I love widescreen, and it bothers when chain stores like Best Buy and Walmart make it hard for consumers to purchase widescreen products. It seems that Best Buy always puts the Full Screen editions of hot new releases in more accessible areas of their stores--right out in the open--but you have to go digging for the widescreen. If I had my way, there would be a total ban on Full Screen editions.

Finn

Staff member
Funny how the thing is in the US.

I'll just have to note out now, that 90% of the DVDs we even have <i>available</i> here in Finland are WS.