Maleficent (Live Action)

roundshort

Finally saw this movie. Is it true. Can kids no longer handle any decent evil villains in Disney movie. Why did Disney feel the need to take perhaps the most cold blooded pure icon of evil and turn her into a very lame winged fairy? I would have much rather seen friggin sharks with lasers on their heads.

Is Disney trying to make up for decades of all the Villains in their movies being female?

Did anyone else see this movie? I was willing to set aside the CGI S***Show that I knew this would be to hopefully see some true cold blooded Maleficent evil. Ugh.

First Frozen lacks and real teeth and now this... Our kids are going to be whimps...

And why could they not have had Siouxsie and the Banshees do Once upon a dream.

kongisking

roundshort said:
Finally saw this movie. Is it true. Can kids no longer handle any decent evil villains in Disney movie. Why did Disney feel the need to take perhaps the most cold blooded pure icon of evil and turn her into a very lame winged fairy? I would have much rather seen friggin sharks with lasers on their heads.

Is Disney trying to make up for decades of all the Villains in their movies being female?

Did anyone else see this movie? I was willing to set aside the CGI S***Show that I knew this would be to hopefully see some true cold blooded Maleficent evil. Ugh.

First Frozen lacks and real teeth and now this... Our kids are going to be whimps...

First: Frozen lacks teeth? Um, it has Disney's first realistic sociopath villain, and has some heavy coming-out-of-the-closet subtext, intentional or not. I'd say it has not just teeth, but some heavy balls.

Second:...I otherwise agree with you in disliking what they've done to Maleficent. I have yet to see it precisely because it pains me that they completely fudged a chance to make a proper prequel to the cartoon, giving her a sad backstory but not downplaying in the slightest that, in the end, she still became PURE EVIL. But...hey, you just can't have pure evil women characters in a Disney movie anymore. Its sexist! (but pure evil men...why, its just the truth of the world...)

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:

thought you weren't a hater snicker.

But you're right. Turns out Mrs Smith is so much tamer now that she's a mother. She even went so far to try and wish her evil away. Sickening.

And Kong. .. passive aggressive behavior is not sociopathic. If it were, the entire Raven would be committed.

Take it from a dad who's trying to train a knight, not a minion.

kongisking

Pale Horse said:
And Kong. .. passive aggressive behavior is not sociopathic. If it were, the entire Raven would be committed.

I've read that the general idea of a sociopath, was a person who has a very well-designed amicable personality on the outside, to conceal their morally dead, manipulative, narcissistic true self. The guy never struck me as passive-aggressive. He was a flat-out 'doggedly nice guy' up until the reveal.

This is a basic description of sociopathy, as used in an article about Ted Bundy:

Wikipedia said:
Anti-social personality disorder patients?frequently identified as "sociopaths" or "psychopaths"?are often outwardly charming, even charismatic; but beneath the facade there is little true personality or genuine insight. Most sociopaths are not demonstrably psychotic; they can readily distinguish right from wrong, but such ability has minimal effect on their behavior. Other hallmarks include narcissism, poor judgment, and manipulative behavior. "Sociopaths," prosecutor George Dekle wrote, "are egotistical manipulators who think they can con anybody."

As far as I'm concerned, Frozen's villain is the closest to a serial killer antagonist Disney can possible get away with in a princess movie. :eek: This is why I take umbrage with the idea that Frozen takes absolutely zero new steps or has guts.

Goodeknight

Pale Horse said:
passive aggressive behavior is not sociopathic. If it were, the entire Raven would be committed.

Oh so true. These statements made my morning just a little bit nicer. Thanks, Pale Horse.

roundshort

kongisking said:
I've read that the general idea of a sociopath, was a person who has a very well-designed amicable personality on the outside, to conceal their morally dead, manipulative, narcissistic true self. The guy never struck me as passive-aggressive. He was a flat-out 'doggedly nice guy' up until the reveal.

This is a basic description of sociopathy, as used in an article about Ted Bundy:

As far as I'm concerned, Frozen's villain is the closest to a serial killer antagonist Disney can possible get away with in a princess movie. :eek: This is why I take umbrage with the idea that Frozen takes absolutely zero new steps or has guts.

Kong to be a sociopathic killer - you need to kill, not lock a girl up in a room. Sorry your argument is totally utter pointless. Frozen has no teeth in the evil department. All the dude wanted to do was marry well and improve his station. Had he killed the girl, then I would be with you.