Grimoire Maudit

Stoo said:
You're welcome, Klaus & Rocket, but looking back at the last 3 pages I have one regret: On page 31, panel 2, where Indy says "Have confidence.", I should have put "Trust me." because it's much more Indy-ish. Damn!
Don't give up! I'm sure a mod would accomodate changes to your efforts!

Sticks and stones will break your bones, remember, remember Indiana Jones!

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Don't give up! I'm sure a mod would accomodate changes to your efforts!
Possibly...but I wouldn't want to bother the mods with such triviality. (Too bad I'm not one of them since I'd be able to fix the errors myself.)

There are a few instances on previous pages where the translations could've been done better as well but the other JuniorJones (without the space) is re-working some of the clunky translations I did for "Secret de la Pyramide".
Rocket Surgeon said:
Sticks and stones will break your bones, remember, remember Indiana Jones!
Sticks and stones may break the bones but it's hard to bear insufferable moans.:p

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Falcon said:
I don't see page 9.

Missed it out by accident, plus if I post it here Stoo might exploded and we won't get anymore of his excellent work.:D

Once the moderator have amended this thread. I will post in the correct forum.

"...all this thread will be lost like tears in the rain, time to be moderated..."

Roy-Batty-Injured.gif

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Just following the thread...

I'm sure some nice moderator will pass by and remove the pages. I will repost with amendments in the Lightning thread.

Anyway, in an hour you won't want them to. Don't be trapped by old concepts, stoo, you're evolving into a new lifeform.

invasion.jpg
Bwa ha! I know that shot! That is Donald Sutherland from the final bit of the 1978 version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"! Donald is Canadian and lives just outside of Montreal (a good friend of mine got me his autograph when he delivered a billiard table to his house!) Very fitting image!

Where I grew up, rough talk between buddies is a term of endearment so, please, JuniorJones (without a space), take no offence to my wild remarks. I just like to keep things regimented & organized. Hope you'll understand this and that it hasn't destroyed any chance of us collaborating in the future because I consider you a friend!:eek::cool:
Falcon said:
I don't see page 9.
Mr. Falcon, it's a mystery if you mean page 9 from "Grimoire Maudit". Pages 8-10 were uploaded at the same time to the same site.:confused:

EDIT: I see that this thread has already been cleaned up & dealt with (including my vitriolic post). Taking a cue from Saturday morning cartoons in the days of yesteryear:

"Grimoire Maudit" will be back after these messages...

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Bwa ha! I know that shot! That is Donald Sutherland from the final bit of the 1978 version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"! Donald is Canadian and lives just outside of Montreal (a good friend of mine got me his autograph when he delivered a billiard table to his house!) Very fitting image!

Where I grew up, rough talk between buddies is a term of endearment so, please, JuniorJones (without a space), take no offence to my wild remarks. I just like to keep things regimented & organized. Hope you'll understand this and that it hasn't destroyed any chance of us collaborating in the future because I consider you a friend!:eek::cool:
Mr. Falcon, it's a mystery if you mean page 9 from "Grimoire Maudit". Pages 8-10 were uploaded at the same time to the same site.:confused:

Stoo, F**k No! Your the best. I have utter most respect for you.

I should have know better...

Mr Falcon mean my pages.

p.s check your inbox, in about 10mins, for something special...;)

Montana Smith

I haven't paid much attention to this thread, until a heads up from RS.

Now I can see that there's a lot of effort been put into this project, and it's certainly paying off. Well done to Stoo and JJ (or is that J J?) (y)

(Also headed over to the 'Pyramid' one and saved the complete translation - gotta love comic books!) :hat:

Stoo

Montana, be sure to check out the 2nd in the series which is another story of Indy battling the Thuggee: Cité de la Foudre

(Re: "Secret de la Pyramide"...I'm afraid you wasted your time copying the translation. You may have missed it but, yesterday, JJ posted the entire comic in this thread and I railed on him for it.:eek: He's done a nice job placing the translation into the balloons and should be re-posting the new pages in the Pyramide thread so keep your eye out.)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Montana, be sure to check out the 2nd in the series which is another story of Indy battling the Thuggee: Cité de la Foudre

Thuggee? I'm checking that one out right now.

Stoo said:
(Re: "Secret de la Pyramide"...I'm afraid you wasted your time copying the translation. You may have missed it but, yesterday, JJ posted the entire comic in this thread and I railed on him for it.:eek: He's done a nice job placing the translation into the balloons and should be re-posting the new pages in the Pyramide thread so keep your eye out.)

I did miss it. I downloaded the 'complete version' from the 'Pyramide' thread. Is the other one an improved translation? Or just aesthetically better?

I seem to have missed all the fun and games, and that's just not like me!

:hat:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Montana Smith said:
Thuggee? I'm checking that one out right now.

I did miss it. I downloaded the 'complete version' from the 'Pyramide' thread. Is the other one an improved translation? Or just aesthetically better?

New scan, same text with comic lettering. I'll PM you.

Stoo

Part 13

Montana Smith said:
As JJ has already stated, his "Pyramide" pages use my original translation which, indeed, needs some improvement in a few places. Aesthetically, his work looks SMASHING (apart from a few minor quibbles about speech-balloon colour. Hi, JJ!;)). Hopefully, the clunky bits of text can be squared away before he shows them again publicly. Quality is a virtue.
Montana Smith said:
Everything was cleaned up within about an hour (or less) including the post where I blew a gasket. Thanks goes out to whichever mod did the deed.:hat:

And now, back to..."Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit"!

GrimoireMaudit_34_ENG.jpg

GrimoireMaudit_35_ENG.jpg

GrimoireMaudit_36_ENG.jpg

Montana Smith

JuniorJones said:
New scan, same text with comic lettering. I'll PM you.

Thanks, JJ. I can see the improvement - the new comic book lettering is much easier on the eye.

Stoo said:
Quality is a virtue.

Certainly. And hopefully not just limited to this thread alone! ;)

Last edited:

Montana Smith

I've read all three of the French translations now.

I'm finding Grimoire the best storywise. As already noted, this isn't the depiction of Indy that we're normally treated to, i.e., no adventure gear.

But, this is the character of Indy that RS referred to as "the intelligent professor". It's the legwork and code-breaking that would suit a film-noir version, and like those movies builds up the intrigue that lies just beneath the surface of everyday life.

Only now in the last three pages (34-36) does the story take on the 'James Bond air': breaking free of a guard within the villain's fantastical lair.

I know how hard it can be trying to make a natural translation from one language to another, and sometimes none of the words in a Fench/English dictionary will deliver the same natural implied tone. Maybe it's something to do with cultural difference and inference, that occasionally makes literal alternatives seem awkward. In a few places, therefore, the dialogue jars, as though a freehand is required, and a sentence written completely fresh with less regard to the original.

That's something the translators of the Asterix books had to contend with. Lines are often completely different, because certain jokes and puns or cultural references just won't work literally.

Honesty often prevents me from reviewing work by people I know, as honesty often hurts. I'm not one to applaud something out of politeness, so if I say I really like something, then you know I really do.

I really like what you've done with these comics!

You guys have put a lot of work into these projects. It's an incredible achievement.

Quality is a virtue, and it shows.

Looking forward to more pages from Grimoire Maudit!

Johnny Jones

"Let's untie their hands and leave them alone together just for the heck of it. What could possibly go wrong?" :p
Oh well, at least it's getting exciting. And I concur with Montana. The only excessively clunky text to me is all the technical stuff about creating the stone and whatnot, which I imagine is a beast to translate.

Stoo

Part 14

Montana Smith said:
I know how hard it can be trying to make a natural translation from one language to another, and sometimes none of the words in a Fench/English dictionary will deliver the same natural implied tone. Maybe it's something to do with cultural difference and inference, that occasionally makes literal alternatives seem awkward. In a few places, therefore, the dialogue jars, as though a freehand is required, and a sentence written completely fresh with less regard to the original.
Too right and I've already done that (in some places) where the reader may never notice. A good example is within this next trio of pages. Van Meert literally says, "We haven't dropped you from a shoe sole" (On ne vous a pas lâché d?une semelle?.) A term where the closest, rough translation in this context would be something such as, "You haven?t been let out of our sight..." (which I used).
Johnny Jones said:
"Let's untie their hands and leave them alone together just for the heck of it. What could possibly go wrong?":p
Good to see you back at The Raven, Johnny Jones:hat: and your fake quote made me laugh because it's so true!:p Read on...

GrimoireMaudit_37_ENG.jpg

GrimoireMaudit_38_ENG.jpg

GrimoireMaudit_39_ENG.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Too right and I've already done that (in some places) where the reader may never notice. A good example is within this next trio of pages. Van Meert literally says, "We haven't dropped you from a shoe sole" (On ne vous a pas lâché d?une semelle?.) A term where the closest, rough translation in this context would be something such as, "You haven?t been let out of our sight..." (which I used).

Now that is a good example of cutural difference!

What was the original French text for van Meert's rank (or was it already in German)? "Oberstmanführer" doesn't tie up with the ranks I'm aware of. A closer match might be SS-Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant-Colonel).

Stoo

Acute observation, Montana.;) The original page says, "OBERSTMANFUHRER" (with no umlaut on the 'u') so I just went with that. (I'm trying to stay as close as possible to the original right down to how the text is blocked within each speech balloon.)

As un-Indyesque as this tale may be, I'm really enjoying it because it's different. Like with "Cité de la Foudre", I'm translating one page at a time in order to not spoil anything for myself.
Montana Smith said:
You guys have put a lot of work into these projects. It's an incredible achievement.
It must be repeated: Without the generosity of Junior Jones (without a space) and DIrishB for scanning their books, this project would not exist.:hat:

The next couple of pages have an ENORMOUS amount of talk from van Meert (now, "von Meert") so they might take awhile...but KEEP WATCHING THIS SPACE!:whip:

Last edited:

DoomTown

THESE ARE EXCELLENT! Thanks so much for your work on these...I just ordered "Cité de la Foudre" online, and found your translation for "Secret of the Pyramid", looking forward to being able to download the complete story when "Grimoire Maudit" is finished! (y)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Possibly...but I wouldn't want to bother the mods with such triviality. (Too bad I'm not one of them since I'd be able to fix the errors myself.)

There are a few instances on previous pages where the translations could've been done better as well but the other JuniorJones (without the space) is re-working some of the clunky translations I did for "Secret de la Pyramide".
Sticks and stones may break the bones but it's hard to bear insufferable moans.:p

Just give me the text that you would like to be amended and I'll sort. Once they make you a "made man" you can modify the links.

If feel like Jimmy Conway, I just hope the same doesn't happen to you has happen to Tommy!