Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Agent Crab

If anyone wants to add me on live, my tag is IndyStarry. I forgot to add a space in it. Ah well.

I been playing Tales of Vesperia and TMNT Arcade classic.

XanaduEli

If anyone wants to know my gamer tag feel free to PM me.

I was playing Rockband earlier on with my brothers. I got landed with the mic D: But for some strange reason I actually was really good at it and got 100% at every song.

DiscoLad

Nurhachi1991 said:
Fable 3 and im downloading Dead Rising Case West :D

Fable III FTW

But I just got Sims 3
Nothing like watching my sim accidentally catching himself on fire while trying to bake a pancake.(y)

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
You bake your pancakes?!

. . . What, is that not right? :p

I was stretched for a word.
It is good though, better than the 2nd except for my one complaint.

... No splitscreen multiplayer like on the last game, WHAT?! How am I suppose to team up with a buddy and torture my little Sims without splitscreen?...

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
That's not like Rome: Total War, is it?
Because my friend had that and it looked so slow. Lol.

Yeah, it is. But, takes place in the 18th century.
I take it that you don't like RTS games?

WillKill4Food

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I take it that you don't like RTS games?
I don't know about him, but I love real-time strategy. I don't play many video games, but those that I do are either FPS or RTS (I'm not a big fan of turn-based games like Civilization, though).

What are your favorite RTS's? The Age of _____ series is about all I've played, though I've played others like Rise of Nations (which I didn't really like). I'd like to find a new RTS to tackle.

DiscoLad

I like RTS like Age of Empires and Mythology series and I'll fool with Civilization sometimes but I can't stand the slow watching/gameplay is in Total War... Far too slow.

The Drifter

WillKill4Food said:
What are your favorite RTS's? The Age of _____ series is about all I've played, though I've played others like Rise of Nations (which I didn't really like). I'd like to find a new RTS to tackle.

I have not played a lot of them. But, I've always enjoyed the Total War series. And Empire Earth was one of my favorites (the game is kinda old now, but still just as fun).
In Empire Earth you had the option of playing different epochs in human history. All the way from to Stone Age to the far future, and everything in between.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
In Empire Earth you had the option of playing different epochs in human history. All the way from to Stone Age to the far future, and everything in between.

Yeah, that was Empire Earth's appeal. It didn't have the in-depth customization of each civilization that Age of Empires has, or that Civilization has, but you could still play all of history, making it essentially a melding of the two. It also had some excellent, if infuriatingly difficult, scenarios; the German campaign stands out in my mind (I played the original version). The aviation system worked pretty well, too, and the inclusion of leaders - both strategic and warriors - was a nice touch.

I've been playing Civilization IV (yeah, not V) lately, which I never really had before. (Computer wasn't ready for it, so it ran far too slowly. I picked it up on Steam recently.) I don't feel nearly as upset with myself at the end of a game as I always did in Civilization III, which I would usually pull out for an install twice a year, play for a few days, and then get sick of. The religion mechanic is pretty well done, and even capital cities can switch with enough cultural influence nearby; I took Paris without firing a shot. The biggest thing for me is that I actually enjoy fighting a war in the game, which I never did in the predecessor version; this is largely because it gives you a prediction of each battle before you attack.

Civ V...I've heard some bad things about, however. It's apparently gorgeous, but way too simplified. Anyone else played it?

WillKill4Food

Lonsome Drifter said:
And Empire Earth was one of my favorites (the game is kinda old now, but still just as fun).
Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, that was Empire Earth's appeal... you could still play all of history, making it essentially a melding of the two. It also had some excellent, if infuriatingly difficult, scenarios; the German campaign stands out in my mind (I played the original version).
I haven't played any of the newer Empire Earth's, but I played the original a few years ago. The German campaign was my favorite, as I recall, because there was no other RTS that I knew of that extended into the early 20th century and beyond. Civilization does, but I've never gotten the hang of turn-based games like that.
The aviation system worked pretty well, too, and the inclusion of leaders - both strategic and warriors - was a nice touch.
That's very true, and I think the later Age of _______ series games began to adopt that with Heroes in Age of Mythology and Explorers/War Chiefs/Monks in Age of Empires III. In retrospect, the only thing that really bugged me about Empire Earth was that, like Attila said,
It didn't have the in-depth customization of each civilization that Age of Empires has, or that Civilization has...
I just think its weird when all civilizations look relatively similar with units and especially architecture. For me, that was a major drawback with Rise of Nations, as well.
As for Civ IV, which I have not played,
The biggest thing for me is that I actually enjoy fighting a war in the game, which I never did in the predecessor version; this is largely because it gives you a prediction of each battle before you attack.
I know that was something that really annoyed me in Civ III. It was a good game and I'm sure that Sid Meier's team put a lot of thought into the balance, but I was always frustrated when a really technologically backwards unit defeated an advanced one because of the rock-paper-scissors combat system. The aviation system also never felt quite right, because bomb runs would sometimes (quite often, actually) just not work. That's all just a result of the rock-paper-scissors nature of Civ, but that's why I prefer real-time, I think.

DiscoLad

Anyone else played it?

I gave 4 a shot but I found nothing good.

I own Civ Rev and that is such a childish game it's so funny and simple to play. I don't play much anymore...

The Drifter

The wife picked up MLB The Show 10 the other day. It seems that I've gotten into this game, and I'm not even a fan of sports.